Photo
- - - - -

Gus Malzahn on WFNZ this morning...5/5/11

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

I'm not suprised Gus Malzahn did not have a single negative thing to say about Cam Newton, but he did fully endorse him to not only be good, but to excel at the NFL level. Take everything he said with a grain of salt, because Cam was his player and friend, but here is a run-down.

- Simple Offense: Nothing simple about the offense, the only thing simple is the communication from coaches to the field. Cam had to read the defense and call the O-Line Protection schemes based off of what he saw. Most pass plays had multiple progressions despite what anyone thinks. He said that Cam is very intelligent and will have no probelm picking up NFL verbage and laughed at all the criticism received based off of Gruden's QB Camp. He also mentioned that Cam came in that spring and picked everything up very quickly.

- Cam ran too much: Malzahn said that the first few games of the season he had to encourage Cam to run more. Cam wanted to stay in the pocket. The majority of plays Cam tucked the ball and ran, was because that was the play call.

- Fake Smile: Malzahn said Cam never has a bad day. He is one of the most genuine people he had ever met and he brings a positive attitude everyday. Something along the lines of "If everyone was like Cam, the world would be a better place" With regards to all the bad character concerns and past transgressions that came about during the season, he mentioned that Cam is one of the most mentally tough individuals he had ever met and never let any outside criticism affect him or the team.

Lastly, Malzahn said we got a great lineman in Lee Ziemba. Said the guy is one of the toughest guys in all of college football and will be a solid pro.

I know this is interview is the equivalent of someone's mom endorsing them... but hearing the way Malzahn talked about Cam only reinforced the fact that I think we made the right decision and I am excited for the Panthers.

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

- Simple Offense: Nothing simple about the offense, the only thing simple is the communication from coaches to the field. Cam had to read the defense and call the O-Line Protection schemes based off of what he saw. Most pass plays had multiple progressions despite what anyone thinks. He said that Cam is very intelligent and will have no probelm picking up NFL verbage and laughed at all the criticism received based off of Gruden's QB Camp. He also mentioned that Cam came in that spring and picked everything up very quickly.

This is obviously a lie.
What does this guy know! It's not like he is the Auburn OC!

#3 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

He also said they don't run a "spread offense", it's a 2 back run-option offense AND they only were a run-option becuase of Cam's ability.

but yeah WTF does this guy know?

#4 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Phhhh this guy obviously does not know much about Football and is a Cam hugger.

#5 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

Phhhh this guy obviously does not know much about Football and is a Cam hugger.

I guess he is a Ziemba-hugger too

#6 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,278 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

- Cam ran too much: Malzahn said that the first few games of the season he had to encourage Cam to run more. Cam wanted to stay in the pocket. The majority of plays Cam tucked the ball and ran, was because that was the play call.

this is a very important point. it flies in the face of alot of the pre-draft stuff

#7 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

I guess he is a Ziemba-hugger too

Just shows he does not know crap about offences.

#8 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

this is all bullpoo. we know Cam played in a one read and run offense. Those plays where his head was on a swivel was when he was looking around for the cameras. I believe Mcshay and Nocrockski over the damn coach. Lets not even talk about his accuracy issues. Always throwing to the wide open reciever, what the hell is that all about.:rolleyes:yes this is sarcasm

Edited by ncmonzta, 05 May 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#9 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

Just shows he does not know crap about offences.

What exactly is an offence? I am not sure anyone knows a lot about that.

#10 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Post-draft smokescreen!

#11 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

He also said Cam broke the all time college record for passing efficiency, but I don't know where to verify that info

#12 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

The fake smile thing is some of the dumbest bullshit ive ever heard.

Also Malzahn was writing books about offensive strategy that NFL coaches were reading when he was coaching highschool in the nineties. The guy is on the norv turner level of offensive genius.

#13 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

He also said Cam broke the all time college record for passing efficiency, but I don't know where to verify that info

He had the record for the regular season but the championship game brought it down.

#14 YourManInAmsterdam

YourManInAmsterdam

Might Be Drunk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

#15 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Well then clearly he's a bust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.