107 replies to this topic

#61 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

EB seemed to be settling in last year, particularly in the second half of the season. The one thing EB does well and no one seems to realize is that he is actually pretty good at chasing down and tackling. So while we all like to focus largely on sacks for DEs, EB does chase down the man with the ball.

One of EBs problems is that he was drafted too high and the currency traded for his draft rights was too high. So our expectations of EB are artificially inflated. Kindof like AE, but EB did at least produce and he wasn't that much of a reach at that point in the 2nd round.

I think that is a fair way of describing it.They had a vision of DFeeny and he is physcially quite the exception for a 4-3 DE.I hope Riveria will maximize his ability

#62 ChampJack

ChampJack

Panthers Fanatic

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

Ima give Everett one more season to show something... but so far i hate to say it but... Everett is a little undersized and underskilled... maybe next year he will break through...

#63 ChampJack

ChampJack

Panthers Fanatic

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

how do i get swag on this... my SWAG on 0 and thats unfamiliar...

#64 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

I think that is a fair way of describing it.They had a vision of DFeeny and he is physcially quite the exception for a 4-3 DE.I hope Riveria will maximize his ability

Freeney also started 21 times in his first 2 years. Brown has started 3 games. At this point Brown has not had opportunity to show what he can do. This year should be a watershed year for him.

#65 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

We'll see under Rivera

#66 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

how do i get swag on this... my SWAG on 0 and thats unfamiliar...

Swag: you either have it or you don't.

See for example:

:cam:

versus

:jc:

#67 SnarkAttack

SnarkAttack

Master of Disaster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

I think the fact that we haven't given him any decent D-tackles yet is going unnoticed....he needs someone that can collapse the pocket...

#68 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

i have a hard time calling a player that has 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles,1 int, & contributes on special teams a bust esp since he's done this in limited playing time. brown just needs to work on using his hands better & knowing how to set his man up for his spin move ala clay matthews

#69 goodsense83

goodsense83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

Since we didnt do much in the draft for the DE position.. and that spot seems to be done "by committee," you're not gonna see him get 10-12 sacks a year. I think we're gonna see Ron continue to run the d-line throwing as many fresh bodies as you can... because we're gonna do alot of blitzing, particularly with the qbs in the NFC South. Because of his smaller size, its hard to do anything with him, except pass rush situations.

Wouldnt call him a bust.... but this is a make or break season for him.

#70 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Put him in a 3-4 and he gets double digit sacks. Not his fault he was drafted to a scheme that his talent isn't meant for.

#71 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,561 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image

Only if he sucked up blockers like that. Its no wonder they had to replace the turf on the field this year. They had little E.Brown burn holes in them.

#72 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationRTP

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Can't decide if he is a 3rd down pass rushing DE (expensive for first rd.) or an outside LB in a 3-4(not us).

Either way, it was a strange pick....unless we believed at the time that Peppers would finish his career here.

#73 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

why does everybody allways seem to forget that first was traded for a 2nd and a 4th we also good Goodson for that pick, not just E Brown

Cause the majority of people see's a trade up. In this case, it was a future first round pick. Cause of that, they have godly expectations for a player. E. Brown is no longer a second round pick in their eyes. He should have come out playing like peppers. That is their mindset, misguided as it is.

Edited by pantherclaw, 10 May 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#74 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

Brown is a high motor guy. He constantly is getting into the backfieeld. He also plays containment better than anybody gives him credit for. He doesn't use his leverage to his advantage, that is coachable.

I also agree with the people mentioning our DT position being weak, affecting Brown. With improved play at defensive tackle, browns motor and speed will be more effective.

#75 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationRTP

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

With improved play at defensive tackle, browns motor and speed will be more effective.

True for all of 'em, brother.

But clogging up the lanes a little better will force more action outside.

Everette seemed to need more upper body strength for chopping, pushing, and disengaging the longer and bigger arms of a defensive guard. He could use some work on swiping legs and making shoestring tackles too. He stands upright oo much. Which is no problem for an OLB.

I think he might be playing for the wrong team/position, honestly. We didn't draft but one LB this year, I believe. Not going to => 3/4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com