#61 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

If there is no football in 2011 then there is no guarantee there even will be a draft going forward. From what I read the antitrust lawsuits are trying to make everyone a free agent, free to sign with whoever they want. That would include guys coming out of college as well.

Plus there will be fan revolt like there was in baseball when they went on strike. I just can't see it not being resolved. Too much money to lose for everyone.

#62 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,778 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

So true, panthers55. So true. Meaning we would be screwed as a team. I sincerely hope there is football this year.

#63 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

If there is no football in 2011 then there is no guarantee there even will be a draft going forward. From what I read the antitrust lawsuits are trying to make everyone a free agent, free to sign with whoever they want. That would include guys coming out of college as well.

Plus there will be fan revolt like there was in baseball when they went on strike. I just can't see it not being resolved. Too much money to lose for everyone.

That will NEVER happen. You have to remember that there are special rules for sports and no other sport is TOTAL Free Agent. It won't happen and if it did the league would surely loose 1/2 of its teams.

Teams cannot hold exclusive rights on a player for their entire careers but the draft is an acceptable practice. AND IT WON'T Change.

If the lockout is lifted then they will probably resort to 2010 rules.

Stop believing everything you read.... 1/2 of it comes from unreliable sources.

Edited by DaveThePanther2008, 12 May 2011 - 05:09 AM.

#64 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Well we have 3 choices... We can beat the hell out of the 2010 season again. or haggle over our draft picks that are pretty much beaten dead.:beatdeadhorse5:

OR

We could discuss the current issue of the CBA, But no one post anything significant about it... probably because there isn't anything significant happening.... which leads to......

Talking about the future or "Fantasy" as you so eloquently describe it. And since NO ONE knows whether, TD will come back full strength, D Will will re-sign or Cam Newton will take us to the promiseland. WE can only speculate or Fantasize.

Please feel free to come up with your own fantasy POST!!!! :ciappa:

Or go back and beat that dead horse just a tad bit more.

And of course this is a WHAT IF scenario. Right now my WHAT IF looks more POSSIBLE then Playing football in 2011.

Drafting Luck or Trading the pick. If you draft Luck we lose a chunk in draft picks. If you trade the pick you could possibly get 2 - 1st rounders, 2 - 2nd Rounders and no telling what else. If you trade AFTER the draft you won't get anywhere near the value. They put a ton of effort into making sure that Newton was our pick. If they didn't think he was the man we would have traded out the pick or gone with Darius or Peterson or Even Green.

If we traded out the pick we probably would have access to a rushing/run stopper monster.

I just don't see us wasting an opportunity to upgrade the already good talent we have around Newton and Beason.

Don't get your underoos in a wad, Dave. The "fantasy" referred to was drafting Andrew Luck with a hypothetical #1 pick in 2012. If you go back and re-read my entire post, you'd find that we actually agree based on what you posted above.

Let's face it....the Panthers would look totally incompetent spending high draft picks on QBs three years in a row. I just don't see it happening. Not too mention the FO would be wasting months of in-depth research, scouting, and other resources to start all over again the following year. It makes more sense in this scenario to trade the hypothetical #1 pick for multiple picks in 2012/2013 to add build a championship caliber team and give Newton more talent to be successful. I have no problems with the speculative discussions. However, those who still think we'll get Luck after he turned down a golden opportunity to be our franchise QB in this draft are living in a "fantasy world". JMHO

Edited by prowler2k8, 12 May 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#65 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

4.5 QBs in 3 years...yay! We know what we are doing! Say, anybody want to join the Panthers?

this wouldn't really be so surprising considering a QB makes or breaks a franchise..

with that said, I'm sure we'll try to take a crapload of picks over drafting Luck.. if we do that, I hope like hell Newton steps up in a big way.

#66 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

That will NEVER happen. You have to remember that there are special rules for sports and no other sport is TOTAL Free Agent. It won't happen and if it did the league would surely loose 1/2 of its teams.

Teams cannot hold exclusive rights on a player for their entire careers but the draft is an acceptable practice. AND IT WON'T Change.

If the lockout is lifted then they will probably resort to 2010 rules.

Stop believing everything you read.... 1/2 of it comes from unreliable sources.

Apparently there are a bunch of lawyers on the player's side who disagree with you.

BTW: would your post be on the side that is considered reliable or not?? Which half should I believe??

Just wondering............

#67 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

Trade the pick. We will still need CB and TE.

#68 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Trade the pick. We will still need CB and TE.

We just drafted a TE.

#69 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Apparently there are a bunch of lawyers on the player's side who disagree with you.

BTW: would your post be on the side that is considered reliable or not?? Which half should I believe??

Just wondering............

I will take the 75plus years this league has operated as a foundation over a couple money hungry, fame seeking lawyers.

Interested in making a wager that when all is said and done there will be a draft?

#70 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

I will take the 75plus years this league has operated as a foundation over a couple money hungry, fame seeking lawyers.

Interested in making a wager that when all is said and done there will be a draft?

I wonder if people said the same thing about free agency before it happened in 1993. Seems all the history of the NFL didn't impact that decision one bit. Things change despite history.

As for a wager, why would I make an internet wager with someone I wouldn't know if he were standing next to me? Pretty stupid idea.

#71 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,231 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

trade it for two first round and a future first round. if the browns can get two first round from atlanta we get more. and lets take the jeffery kid from usc and the DE from unc!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com