Photo
- - - - -

About to order a new laptop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#16 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

That's why I have both a gaming desktop and laptop...

#17 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Switching back and forth is gonna get annoying. If you get a budget laptop that struggles to keep Photoshop open, you're going to end up spending 100% of the time on the desktop by yourself in the corner.

Just get a nice laptop that can do both.

#18 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

Grab an AMD much cheaper for a six core...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103913 that way you have more money for RAM and Video....

NONONONONONONONONONO

those are awful for gaming lol

#19 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

NONONONONONONONONONO

those are awful for gaming lol

Funny because I use one everyday and it handles every game I've installed on my machine thus far....

#20 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

You mean The Sims and Second Life.

#21 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

You mean The Sims and Second Life.

Read the reviews on newegg for it....pretty much answers any questions about it's gaming ability.

#22 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Nice. What about motherboards? I'm going to get a SSD( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820167042 is what I'm looking at) and I have no idea about the compatibility issues and all that nonsense. I will probably end up buying 2 SSD's or possibly splurge on the 250g one. The desktop will primarily be used for gaming so I don't need a lot of storage.

get an SSD for the operating system and then just get a sata III hard drive with 64mb cache

get the top intel sandy bridge processor. Stay the hell away from the AMD processors at your price point it makes no sense. AMD dominates the low end market but not the high end.

i would wait on the sandy bridge mobos to flesh out

memory needs to be ddr3 1333 a minimum maybe 1600

shop around for the graphics cards i think dual 6950 2gb are the best bang for your buck on the high end. but you won't be able to use physx unless you use older drivers. Although physx may be a fad. I'm probably going to get it though espeically if BF3 uses it.

make sure that your other stuff like the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers are all up to date.

Sometimes a sound card or network card can be worthwhile investments.

#23 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

Funny because I use one everyday and it handles every game I've installed on my machine thus far....

unless he's doing some video encoding or multitasking that is related to his job productivity it's a terrible choice

http://www.anandtech...duct/288?vs=203

#24 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Read the reviews on newegg for it....pretty much answers any questions about it's gaming ability.

consumers are only so reliable. It's not a bad processor but compared to the comparable intel processors at that price point it's not the best buy.

#25 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

I wish I was as up on hardware as I used to be... alas the processor wars are not what they once were.

#26 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

*thread stealer*

What about the one I linked ? :D

#27 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

I wish I was as up on hardware as I used to be... alas the processor wars are not what they once were.

i've been out of the loop for a while im just now getting back into the swing of things.

#28 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

HUDDLER

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

I would buy a cheaper laptop for work for around 600 dollars then build a 1900 dollar gaming computer. Although you may not be comfortable with that.

This, unless you're comfortable with knowing that you're ultimately making a "losing" purchase. You don't get nearly as much value for your dollar and laptops are prone to issues and expensive to repair. When I went to college I invested in a nice laptop, 4 years later I was wishing I had investing that money in a top-quality desktop. Not only did my laptop spend 90% of the time sitting on its docking station like a desktop anyways (since a keyboard + mouse are convenient in your room), but I had to have it in the dock if I wanted to play games. The thing about laptops are that they aren't very energy efficient when you're doing things like gaming and are prone to overheating.

The only saving grace was the portability, but with today's smartphones it's a luxury I can do without.

#29 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

HUDDLER

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

I agree with everyone here. There is really no such thing as a 'gaming laptop'. Alienware and the likes are nice but if you want true high preformace worth buying it must be a desktop. THe good news is that interesting enough hardware that is fast and better quality is actually cheaper when compared to the mobile lap top. Add that to a higher cieling spec wise and a desktop is really where money should be invested.

When i researched a year ago I had a hard time deciding between a quad core 3.2/dual 4.0 and the equivalent in price laptop = intel duo/bones i3, and the video card was like 7 gb vs. 512 mb so on and so forth.

I decided to get a $600 laptop and build my quad 3.2 for a grand. With that you can get the better quality i3, upgrade the graphics card and maybe something if you find a deal like extended batteries or larger hard drive.Stay away from apple IMO. They are quality no doubt, and very practical, heck I love them but they are overpriced and are not worth the costs, bottom line IMO. As far as Dell vs. HP I have had plenty of both and they both are good and have their positives. HP is much more durable than Dell as far as the computer itself. Dell exceeds in smaller things like better dvd dives and charging plugs. It evens out, I would build the exact same laptop at each site and just buy the more inexpensive.

Edited by FortySixand2, 18 May 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#30 Arv3n

Arv3n

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

it might. but i'm pretty sure sandy bridge intel cpus are roughly the same price and run faster than the current amd ones.

if you're dead set on amd i'd just wait for the new bulldozer i think cpu coming out this month or next i heard.

i mean, both are incredibly fast but if they're both generally the same price might as well get a sandy bridge one. *shrug*

Edited by Arv3n, 23 May 2011 - 03:51 AM.