• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

From Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg...tbSKsc&refer=us

By Brian Faler
Feb. 23 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. embargo on Cuba would be loosened, regulatory agencies would get budget increases and lawmakers would secure money for thousands of pet projects known as earmarks under a proposed $410 billion spending bill.
The “omnibus” spending package unveiled today by House Democrats would combine nine annual appropriations bills left over from last year that are needed to fund programs such as NASA and the national parks through September, the end of the fiscal year. Total spending on the programs would grow by $32 billion, or about 8.5 percent, from last year.
The House plans to vote on the measure later this week, and the Senate will consider it later.
Democrats postponed work on the appropriations bills last year after they were unable to reach an agreement with former President George W. Bush on how much to spend on domestic programs. Bush had demanded lawmakers freeze most domestic spending. Most federal agencies, except those related to defense, have been funded by a stopgap measure that expires March 6.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, called the new bill “the unfinished business of last year when the president refused to address the priorities and the needs of the American people.”
The measure was released as President Barack Obama pledged at a budget summit to cut the government’s yearly budget deficit in half in four years. The White House and Congressional Budget Office forecast the deficit for this fiscal year will be at least $1.3 trillion.

No surprise it contains a lot of pork:

(Modesto Bee)

During the 2008 presidential campaign, candidates Barack Obama and John McCain fought vigorously over who would be toughest on congressional earmarks.
“We need earmark reform,” Obama said in September during a presidential debate in Oxford, Miss. “And when I’m president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely.”
President Barack Obama should prepare to carve out a lot of free time and keep the coffee hot this week as Congress prepares to unveil a $410 billion omnibus spending bill that’s riddled with thousands of earmarks, despite his calls for restraint and efforts on Capitol Hill to curtail the practice.
The bill will contain about 9,000 earmarks totaling $5 billion, congressional officials say. Many of the earmarks — loosely defined as local projects inserted by members of Congress — were inserted last year as the spending bills worked their way through various committees.
So while Obama and McCain were slamming earmarks on the camp aign trail, House and Senate members — Democrats and Republicans — were slapping them into spending bills.
“It will be a little embarrassing for the president if he signs a bill with that many earmarks on it,” said Stan Collender, a veteran Washington budget analyst.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,960 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Congress+Clinton = Tax and spend
Congress+Bush II = Spend and spend
Congress+Obama = Spend and spend and spend and spend

#3 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,060 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I posted about Obama's "line-by-line" earmark comment yesterday and the only response i received was "You believe everything you here before an election???". Liberals like Pelosi are going to spend, spend, spend. Obama says he wants to cut the deficit, and his own party leaders add pork and increase spending to make up for lost time. :frown2: This Obama government is a rudderless ship heading towards a rocky shoreline.

#4 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

sorry ... I missed your post yesterday. Didn't mean to steal any thunder.

#5 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,060 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

No, this type of thing needs to be brought up time and again. It seems to be overlooked or written off as "typical conservative hate" for some reason................

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

No, this stuff will need to be ironed out in committees and negotiations, just like the most out of bounds stuff was removed from the stimulus package. It's already been made clear that Obama and congressional Democrats are not in lock step on these things.

#7 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

I don't see him signing it though.

#8 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

No, this stuff will need to be ironed out in committees and negotiations, just like the most out of bounds stuff was removed from the stimulus package. It's already been made clear that Obama and congressional Democrats are not in lock step on these things.

Most of that stuff was removed from the stimulus? Really?

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill...

#10 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

Congress+Clinton = Tax and spend
Congress+Bush II = Spend and spend
Congress+Obama = Spend and spend and spend and spend

All dead on except for the last six years of Congress and Clinton. The Congress was Republican, and they nipped most of Slick Willie's liberal spending dreams in the bud.

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

Most of that stuff was removed from the stimulus? Really?

Really.

#12 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,060 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

Really.

You got some inside info we don't know about? There was some pretty damn wasteful spending in that stimulus. What if the liberals would have been totally let loose when writting that thing? We'd be spending $8 Trillion to save some small drainage pond in San Francisco that's home to a rare toad that farts out of it's right ear while getting f*cked in the ass by a salamander. Good God, what would we do without those?

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,960 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Careful. Drainage ponds need funding, too. And the engineers who design them.

<waits for his check

#14 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

The stuff mentioned right here on the site were anti-smoking efforts, some contraception thing...and most if not all of those were not in the final bill.

To me wasteful spending in every dime we've spent in Iraq, so can I just call that pork?

#15 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,060 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Careful. Drainage ponds need funding, too. And the engineers who design them.

<waits for his check

I want all my money back from the engineer who designed the poo water treatment plant next to the par 4 number two at Tega Cay. fuger stinks to high heaven and it will gobble up a hooked drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com