Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OchoNueve

Chris Weinke on WFNZ about training Cam

240 posts in this topic

Now that I know Weinke is working with him I have nothing to worry about
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlCDocs7c_nXboIE21hDDYZbTzaHext_c-Li92haseKicdqjTZ&t=1

definitely.. when the season starts, you know there will be fools who roam this forum with no concept of reality that is football and the NFL..

I would prefer this route, but I'm not sure there are many options worth signing. most likely, we won't make the playoffs and this will be a growing year. Worst case, we put Moore out there to take the hits until Cam is ready.

I'd feel more comfortable with Matty in honestly, at least for a couple games. Or maybe one first half one the other. Idk, but the fact that we threw Jimmy on the field last year without any direction kinda proves that approach doesn't really work. Esp when you don't have a veteran who can guide the younger QB.

We might not make the playoffs anyways with a vet, but where is the harm? I thought there were at least 4 or 5 options. Yeah, maybe Cam is the answer, but let's not just throw him out there and expect he knows exactly what to do in every situation.

why, what scares you?

you_serious_clark.png

Now that I know Weinke is working with him I have nothing to worry about

Weinke is just one of several former QBs employed there. It ain't like it is just Cam and Weinke

I'll start getting exited when he wins a game for us.

I'd feel more comfortable with Matty in honestly, at least for a couple games. Or maybe one first half one the other. Idk, but the fact that we threw Jimmy on the field last year without any direction kinda proves that approach doesn't really work. Esp when you don't have a veteran who can guide the younger QB.

We might not make the playoffs anyways with a vet, but where is the harm? I thought there were at least 4 or 5 options. Yeah, maybe Cam is the answer, but let's not just throw him out there and expect he knows exactly what to do in every situation.

you_serious_clark.png

Well in all fairness Newton is bigger, stronger, and flat out better then Clausen. If things broke down and Clausen couldn't find anybody he was sacked at least Newton can take off and gain some yards as opposed to losing yards and putting us in a bigger hole. Plus the vets I have heard about bringing in where like Marc Bulger who didn't play at all last year and in the 3 years prior has 22 Td's and 34 int's in 35 starts. I just think you bring in someone like him to mentor and help the young guys become better and not really to start.

1 person likes this

Great news, I for one want him starting from day one. The O-line will be above average if Otah is back and healthy along with our running game Cam will just need to manage the game and not turn the ball over. With is size and speed if the first 2 reads are not there tuck the ball and run. Plus if we ever get the lockout behind us we have a ton of money to spend in free agency to lock down some guys on D and sure up the O-line with some depth. A vet QB coming in to help mentor is a good idea but I don't want him starting, he should be holding a clipboard and helping out Cam and Clausen.

I do not think the we can count on Otah...too many injuries and too much time away from football.We will be investing a hell of alot in a qb and the expectations of how much he can contribute is dwindling as the CBA drags on.Lets get him protection and insure we have a running game.Lets get him a vet wr and a vet qb

Well in all fairness Newton is bigger, stronger, and flat out better then Clausen. If things broke down and Clausen couldn't find anybody he was sacked at least Newton can take off and gain some yards as opposed to losing yards and putting us in a bigger hole. Plus the vets I have heard about bringing in where like Marc Bulger who didn't play at all last year and in the 3 years prior has 22 Td's and 34 int's in 35 starts. I just think you bring in someone like him to mentor and help the young guys become better and not really to start.

Yep, you are right, he is.

He is still a rookie QB fresh outta college that does not have ONE down of NFL experience under his belt. Same thing I was saying about Clausen when we decided to start him.

Its just a big risk.

Then, lets say something happens or he just plain sucks. What do we do then? Play JImmy? Tony Pike? There's a solution. I suppose we could play Matty but are we even planning on keeping him?

If our front line gets fixed I’d say put Cam in at the start, if it’s still a problem I hope we have a suitable vet to start the season off with.

If he's putting in the time and is learning the offense, then I say put him in. If he has command over the plays, then get him in there and get him experience. If he's still struggling with the plays, then let him sit until he has it down. Getting experience is never a bad thing.

Weinke is just one of several former QBs employed there. It ain't like it is just Cam and Weinke

i know man, I'm just having fun. Maybe we can get David Carr in there for old times sake

you_serious_clark.png

best way to learn is through game experience. the quicker he is on the field the better. what jimmy lacks cam does not. physical skills.

I will admit I was very hesitant about drafting Newton, but news like this definitely leads me to believe Cam can one day be the future of the franchise. I still don't want to go the Jimmy route and be forced to start him before he's ready though.