234 replies to this topic

#31 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Well in all fairness Newton is bigger, stronger, and flat out better then Clausen. If things broke down and Clausen couldn't find anybody he was sacked at least Newton can take off and gain some yards as opposed to losing yards and putting us in a bigger hole. Plus the vets I have heard about bringing in where like Marc Bulger who didn't play at all last year and in the 3 years prior has 22 Td's and 34 int's in 35 starts. I just think you bring in someone like him to mentor and help the young guys become better and not really to start.

Yep, you are right, he is.

He is still a rookie QB fresh outta college that does not have ONE down of NFL experience under his belt. Same thing I was saying about Clausen when we decided to start him.

Its just a big risk.

Then, lets say something happens or he just plain sucks. What do we do then? Play JImmy? Tony Pike? There's a solution. I suppose we could play Matty but are we even planning on keeping him?

#32 markbm62

markbm62

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

If our front line gets fixed I’d say put Cam in at the start, if it’s still a problem I hope we have a suitable vet to start the season off with.

#33 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

If he's putting in the time and is learning the offense, then I say put him in. If he has command over the plays, then get him in there and get him experience. If he's still struggling with the plays, then let him sit until he has it down. Getting experience is never a bad thing.

#34 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Weinke is just one of several former QBs employed there. It ain't like it is just Cam and Weinke

i know man, I'm just having fun. Maybe we can get David Carr in there for old times sake

#35 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

I'd feel more comfortable with Matty in honestly, at least for a couple games. Or maybe one first half one the other. Idk, but the fact that we threw Jimmy on the field last year without any direction kinda proves that approach doesn't really work. Esp when you don't have a veteran who can guide the younger QB.

We might not make the playoffs anyways with a vet, but where is the harm? I thought there were at least 4 or 5 options. Yeah, maybe Cam is the answer, but let's not just throw him out there and expect he knows exactly what to do in every situation.

Posted Image

best way to learn is through game experience. the quicker he is on the field the better. what jimmy lacks cam does not. physical skills.

#36 strik9

strik9

Think before you post

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

I will admit I was very hesitant about drafting Newton, but news like this definitely leads me to believe Cam can one day be the future of the franchise. I still don't want to go the Jimmy route and be forced to start him before he's ready though.

#37 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

at the end of the day i don't think it matters who you bring in...cam will beat them out b/c he's a fuggin G like that!

#38 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

i know man, I'm just having fun. Maybe we can get David Carr in there for old times sake

Only if he busts out that sexy ass glove

Posted Image

#39 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

newton won't be thrown out there the way clausen was. most likely the whole of preseason and training camp would be with the intention cam is starting if not right away, then soon. the coaching staff will have spent a lot more time with him and everyone will know that is the goal. the playbook will reflect it.

i guarantee you that he will be getting a lot more coaching and direction than clausen ever did from fox & co. he's also coming with a lot more natural talent and ability to stay upright and extend plays that will give him an edge over clausen as well.

this is an entirely new scenario than last year. new coaching staff (knows what they are doing and gives a crap about developing players) will be a huge factor in that. panthers with newton QBing will have similar success and growth to other QBs who have started as rookies the past few years.

I'd feel more comfortable with Matty in honestly, at least for a couple games. Or maybe one first half one the other. Idk, but the fact that we threw Jimmy on the field last year without any direction kinda proves that approach doesn't really work. Esp when you don't have a veteran who can guide the younger QB.

We might not make the playoffs anyways with a vet, but where is the harm? I thought there were at least 4 or 5 options. Yeah, maybe Cam is the answer, but let's not just throw him out there and expect he knows exactly what to do in every situation.

Posted Image

#40 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

best way to learn is through game experience. the quicker he is on the field the better. what jimmy lacks cam does not. physical skills.

I will admit I was very hesitant about drafting Newton, but news like this definitely leads me to believe Cam can one day be the future of the franchise. I still don't want to go the Jimmy route and be forced to start him before he's ready though.

Yeah, the best way to learn is through experience, but not just yet. Maybe increase the amount of time he plays game to game. I think strik9's post addresses that pretty well. Don't wanna put him out there before he is ready.

#41 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Yep, you are right, he is.

He is still a rookie QB fresh outta college that does not have ONE down of NFL experience under his belt. Same thing I was saying about Clausen when we decided to start him.

Its just a big risk.

Then, lets say something happens or he just plain sucks. What do we do then? Play JImmy? Tony Pike? There's a solution. I suppose we could play Matty but are we even planning on keeping him?

I agree with you it is a huge risk starting him from day one but it was a huge risk taking him #1 in the draft as well. I just don't see the Panther's bringing in somebody like a Kyle Orton who is a legit NFL starter to compete with Cam even though that would be best case scenario in my book. I think they bring in an aging vet that is more of a backup now to help out the young guys and I don't really want that kind of guy starting while our franchise QB is sitting on the sidelines.

#42 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

he'll be as ready to start as anyone can be as a rookie.

#43 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

newton won't be thrown out there the way clausen was. most likely the whole of preseason and training camp would be with the intention cam is starting if not right away, then soon. the coaching staff will have spent a lot more time with him and everyone will know that is the goal. the playbook will reflect it.

i guarantee you that he will be getting a lot more coaching and direction than clausen ever did from fox & co. he's also coming with a lot more natural talent and ability to stay upright and extend plays that will give him an edge over clausen as well.

this is an entirely new scenario than last year. new coaching staff (knows what they are doing and gives a crap about developing players) will be a huge factor in that. panthers with newton QBing will have similar success and growth to other QBs who have started as rookies the past few years.

I honestly really hope this is the case. I have nothing against Cam, now that he is a Panther I fully support him, but it just scares me. Im sure everyone can understand my hesitation.

Hoping he gets a lot of coaching and direction, hoping our new coaching staff knows what the hell they are doing, and I hope Cam comes out in the end looking better than Matt Ryan as a rookie and we can shove it right down their throats.

#44 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Only if he busts out that sexy ass glove

Posted Image

Maybe Newton could wear the white gloves.:D

#45 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, the best way to learn is through experience, but not just yet. Maybe increase the amount of time he plays game to game. I think strik9's post addresses that pretty well. Don't wanna put him out there before he is ready.

why not yet? you can not afford to wait in this league like ray said we will groom him from day 1 of being the #1 QB. After a TC and preseason of training he will be ready to start vs Arizona.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.