Photo
- - - - -

I voted Democrat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#16 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

I am sure the legions of liberal golfers were outraged!

Is it because someone called this guy Fuzzy? I mean, that is kind of offensive...

Fuzzy Zoeller was a pro golfer that mentioned after Tiger won his first Masters, that they'd be serving kollard greens and fried chicken in the club house now... or something along those lines

#17 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I am sure the legions of liberal golfers were outraged!

Is it because someone called this guy Fuzzy? I mean, that is kind of offensive...

Liberal golfers are always the ones begging for muligans after a bad shot.

I love collard greens and fried chicken and I'm white. Not sure why this is viewed as a racist comment. Maybe he thinks Tiger is fat and he was simply making a fat joke? Which is perfectly acceptable in our society.

#18 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

Fuzzy Zoeller was a pro golfer that mentioned after Tiger won his first Masters, that they'd be serving kollard greens and fried chicken in the club house now... or something along those lines

And...I know you guys hate this term, but it certainly fits in this case....Augusta was swarming with liberal media that weekend waiting to pounce on the black man winning at a course that didn't allow black men until recently story. They took Fuzzy's comments completely out of context and they had their racist white establishment story served up on a tee for them.

Every year the winner of the previous Masters hosts a dinner and serves food that is representative of his heritage...in a joking manner. Lee Trevino served Tex Mex, for example. Sandy Lyle served haggis. So Fuzzy said "I guess we'll have fried chicken and collared greens next year."

Meanwhile, Tiger himself made jokes involving racist stereotypes in a magazine interview that same month. No story there, though.

If we're going to have freedom of speech, how about some leeway so that we don't all walk around afraid to say anything? The language you'd hear in an NFL locker room, arguably the most diverse culture (at least in terms of black/white) would make a liberal cover his ears.

Edited by Meat, 24 February 2009 - 01:04 PM.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

No doubt Tiger winning at that course was history, and made for a great story. Fuzzy did not go to jail for what he said, and had the opportunity to defend himself, but maybe he should have kept that comment private for the other golfers who can understand the context. All he may have been guilty of was bad judgement, but lets face it - "fried chicken and collard greens" is a little more towards the racist side of things than "tex mex" - just imagine if he had said "watermelon" instead. I do remember Tigers comments included in those stories, btw.

The media jumping on a story and burying a guy in the ratings race is not the same thing - even remotely - as "liberals stifling freedom of speech".

#20 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

Definition of irony....one of the most liberal presences on TV today, Bill Maher, got his first 15 minutes of fame with a show titled Politically Incorrect, because he was sick of the PC movement. Then he said something really dumb (saying the pilots of the 9/11 planes were anything but cowardly...probably true, but not the time to say it), the public turned on him, and now he's part of the very movement he was bucking to begin with.

#21 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

oh sweet i cant wait until my dad emails me this

#22 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Definition of irony....one of the most liberal presences on TV today, Bill Maher, got his first 15 minutes of fame with a show titled Politically Incorrect, because he was sick of the PC movement. Then he said something really dumb (saying the pilots of the 9/11 planes were anything but cowardly...probably true, but not the time to say it), the public turned on him, and now he's part of the very movement he was bucking to begin with.

What? That was and is a true statement, and I don't know of anyone that would tune into his show in the first place that would have a problem with him saying that.

#23 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

What? That was and is a true statement, and I don't know of anyone that would tune into his show in the first place that would have a problem with him saying that.

He caught a ton of flak over it, don't you remember it? In fact, his sponsors pulled out of his show and it was off the air soon thereafter.

And Fiz, I can't hear you, dipshit. Heh heh heh.

#24 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

So was it "the public" or "his sponsors"?

Anyways, a guy like him is much better suited for cable.

#25 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

So was it "the public" or "his sponsors"?

Anyways, a guy like him is much better suited for cable.

Both, I guess. His sponsors pulled out because there was so much uproar publicly. I think he turned full-time liberal just to get back at the O'Reillys of the world who were raking him over the coals over that comment.

I agree...what he said was true. But man, why would you say that in front of a country still licking its wounds?

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

It needed to be said, that's why. If you are going to hate an entire group of people, hate them for the right reasons. He has Balls. I like Balls.

#27 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

It needed to be said, that's why. If you are going to hate an entire group of people, hate them for the right reasons. He has Balls. I like Balls.

Not much of a "News Flash" here.

#28 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,559 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

I forgot to put a :D after my burn. Because it was teh sickest burn ever!!

#29 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

He has brains, too, and he should have been smart enough to know that you don't bite the hand that is feeding you. Sorry, but that's the truth. Ball-lover.

Still, I don't think the sponsors should have pulled out. Just like I don't think K-mart should have pulled out in the Fuzzy deal.

#30 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

He did it, and got a great gig at HBO in the end. If you want to shake things up, you can't be.....afraid to shake things up.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com