#34 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

I voted Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will rain on Friday can tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years if I don't start driving a Prius.

now, I don't who's saying all that. The scientist talking about the polar ice caps aren't meteorologist predicting weather.

here's some fact's for you on that though.

Average temperatures in the Arctic region are rising twice as fast as they are elsewhere in the world. Arctic ice is getting thinner, melting and rupturing. For example, the largest single block of ice in the Arctic, the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf, had been around for 3,000 years before it started cracking in 2000. Within two years it had split all the way through and is now breaking into pieces.

The polar ice cap as a whole is shrinking. Images from NASA satellites show that the area of permanent ice cover is contracting at a rate of 9 percent each decade. If this trend continues, summers in the Arctic could become ice-free by the end of the century.

effect

the contraction of the Arctic ice cap is accelerating global warming. Snow and ice usually form a protective, cooling layer over the Arctic. When that covering melts, the earth absorbs more sunlight and gets hotter. And the latest scientific data confirm the far-reaching effects of climbing global temperatures.

Melting glaciers and land-based ice sheets also contribute to rising sea levels, threatening low-lying areas around the globe with beach erosion, coastal flooding, and contamination of freshwater supplies.

Rising seas would severely impact the United States as well. Scientists project as much as a 3-foot sea-level rise by 2100. According to a 2001 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study, this increase would inundate some 22,400 square miles of land along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States, primarily in Louisiana, Texas, Florida and North Carolina.

So I don't know where the 10 year mark came from. Within the century it's going to happen. Since 1990 we've lost nearly 18% of the Ice caps and it's clearly visible from space photographs.

#35 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

now, I don't who's saying all that. The scientist talking about the polar ice caps aren't meteorologist predicting weather.

here's some fact's for you on that though.

Average temperatures in the Arctic region are rising twice as fast as they are elsewhere in the world. Arctic ice is getting thinner, melting and rupturing. For example, the largest single block of ice in the Arctic, the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf, had been around for 3,000 years before it started cracking in 2000. Within two years it had split all the way through and is now breaking into pieces.

The polar ice cap as a whole is shrinking. Images from NASA satellites show that the area of permanent ice cover is contracting at a rate of 9 percent each decade. If this trend continues, summers in the Arctic could become ice-free by the end of the century.

effect

the contraction of the Arctic ice cap is accelerating global warming. Snow and ice usually form a protective, cooling layer over the Arctic. When that covering melts, the earth absorbs more sunlight and gets hotter. And the latest scientific data confirm the far-reaching effects of climbing global temperatures.

Melting glaciers and land-based ice sheets also contribute to rising sea levels, threatening low-lying areas around the globe with beach erosion, coastal flooding, and contamination of freshwater supplies.

Rising seas would severely impact the United States as well. Scientists project as much as a 3-foot sea-level rise by 2100. According to a 2001 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study, this increase would inundate some 22,400 square miles of land along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States, primarily in Louisiana, Texas, Florida and North Carolina.

So I don't know where the 10 year mark came from. Within the century it's going to happen. Since 1990 we've lost nearly 18% of the Ice caps and it's clearly visible from space photographs.

Yeah, I didn't agree with that one myself.

#36 MyDrunkardNC

MyDrunkardNC

Nervous Farter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

If we're going to have freedom of speech, how about some leeway so that we don't all walk around afraid to say anything? The language you'd hear in an NFL locker room, arguably the most diverse culture (at least in terms of black/white) would make a liberal cover his ears.

I would bet there are many "liberal" NFL players. I get tired of all these labels, and how everyone has one generalized view or definition of how anyone with that label stamped on them should act. My political views are certainly to the left, but I hate political correctness and the suppression of free speech (for all points of view). But I would point out that the guarantee to free speech is regarding government prosecution, not media or public "outrage."

#37 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

I would bet there are many "liberal" NFL players. I get tired of all these labels, and how everyone has one generalized view or definition of how anyone with that label stamped on them should act. My political views are certainly to the left, but I hate political correctness and the suppression of free speech (for all points of view). But I would point out that the guarantee to free speech is regarding government prosecution, not media or public "outrage."

You probably made a really important point, but how was I supposed to pay attention to it?

#38 MyDrunkardNC

MyDrunkardNC

Nervous Farter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

You probably made a really important point, but how was I supposed to pay attention to it?

:D True dat

#39 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Her right one (my left hand one) is bigger.

#40 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Her right one (my left hand one) is bigger.

Hard to believe that's Sarah Palin.

Murph? Murph?

#41 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Even though they are meant to be funny, it's amazing how true I think these are.

fixed

#42 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,868 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

fixed

Details, details, details. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.