Photo
- - - - -

Obama demanding Israel to withdraw to 1967 borders.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#106 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Can't really blame the government since it was voted in by the people. The attitude of the people has to change.

I do think that (with some justification) there is an us against the world mentality in Israel. Perhaps its because most of those in power grew up during the 67 and 73 wars, perhaps its because of the Palestinians continuously lobbing shells into israel, or maybe its the one sidedness in the UN, or a combination thereof. But they have developed a siege mentality. At some point, it probably needs to go away.

#107 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

They have a siege mentality because the rest of the world is a bit sick of their whining attitude - the UN gave Israel the authority to exist and they acknowledge this by running up the worst record of UN violations of any democratic society to my knowledge.

The 1973 War was almost 40 years ago and had as much to do with Soviet Cold War mechanics as legitimate local gripes as far as I've been able to figure (although I admit I'm not an expert on this). If we had the same mindset and timescale as Israel we'd still be in Vietnam or worried about creeping Communism stealing our precious bodily fluids.

Wait there are idiots who still think about that.

#108 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

They have a siege mentality because the rest of the world is a bit sick of their whining attitude - the UN gave Israel the authority to exist and they acknowledge this by running up the worst record of UN violations of any democratic society to my knowledge.

The 1973 War was almost 40 years ago and had as much to do with Soviet Cold War mechanics as legitimate local gripes as far as I've been able to figure (although I admit I'm not an expert on this). If we had the same mindset and timescale as Israel we'd still be in Vietnam or worried about creeping Communism stealing our precious bodily fluids.

Wait there are idiots who still think about that.

What if Mexicans still living in Arizona and New Mexico were lobbing shells into Texas and California, or blowing themselves up in trains in New York? Thats more akin to what Israel experiences. Admittedly they carry retribution to far most of the time, but I can still understand the sentiment.

#109 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

The world is a little different these days. Back then you could invent wars to steal land, use your overwhelming power to kill and subjugate, then tell everyone it was in the name of freedom when the papers reported it a week later.

Now that the world is such a smaller place, and video of whats happening is broadcast to everyone, it's a bit harder to get away with and the militarily weaker opposition will use that as a weapon.

I certainly hope you don't think that I hold the Palestinians blameless in all this because I don't. But Israel is in a position to make things happen since they hold all the cards. Palestine is just a mess, this is why things need to change because until they have some resolution and some pride, they will continue to foster a culture of revenge.