Photo
- - - - -

Who will the Panthers bring in to help on offense?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

we'll bring in at least one big receiver.

#47 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

Ocho Cinco!! I just see him and Cam having similar personalities. I think he'd actually be a perfect fit for the Jets.

#48 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

Ocho Cinco!! I just see him and Cam having similar personalities. I think he'd actually be a perfect fit for the Jets.

Please tell me their personalities are not similar.:cryin:

#49 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

I don't expect us to sign any big names offensively. I think we'll go after Cofield on defense, but on offense - particularly at WR - I think they'll bring in a guy to compete for a starting job in the event Gettis/LaFell don't continue to develop. Someone relatively inexpensive signed to a 1-2 year deal. Maybe Mark Clayton or possibly James Jones, though I have a feeling Jones will be paid a lot more than he's worth by someone.

I just feel like they think they have two starters in Gettis & LaFell and don't want to sign any big name WR who would push a potential star onto the bench. If one of them fails to impress next season then we can address the need with Alshon Jeffery or sign a top WR then. But at least we'll know by then because we really don't right now. Gettis & LaFell could potentially be the WR combo here for the next 7-8 years - or one or both could end up the next Keary Colbert/Drew Carter. It's impossible to say right now other than acknowledging that both have flashes a lot of potential.

I think two names to watch at guard are Derrick Dockery & Floyd Womack. Both fit the Keydrick Vincent mold of a solid veteran guard with a few good years left. Neither would be real expensive to sign, but would upgrade our OL quite a bit, IMO.

As far as QB goes... I really believe Cam will start game one. I also think we'll look to bring in a veteran guy to serve as a mentor of sorts. Chad Pennington is perfect, IMO. A real pro and a high character guy who could help both Cam & Clausen along.

Another position to watch for is RT. I would love to see us sign a solid veteran RT who can backup Otah and start if he gets hurt again. But I feel like Hurney & co. feel like between Schwartz & Zeimba we may already have a solution on the roster and he may be right, but I still worry about Otah going down again and how it could again have a ripple effect across our entire OL.

#50 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

Teams under a cap structure must be able to develop their stars.This year will be a bit different for the Panthers but I know JRs wants to develop talent and not overpay in the FA market which is based on historical performances and that was a real weakness with Fox and Friends.

Rivera and company will make decisions based on game film.They have a pretty good idea where we need help.I think signing Shockey to a one year deal is pretty telling.We have the talent but need a year to develop it.At WR it is a little different......Smith will be with us one more year at best and may not be happy about it so I think you need to take him out of the equatition.I saw the potential with both gettis and LaFell but is was relatively raw....that being said you need a number 1 and 2 receiver and a slot.We may be carrying a number 2 but we really need a number one so we may reach a bit.We may take a James Jones but I do not see us reaching up to a VJackson type of money.I think we will need a ot in the event Otahs injuries reoccur.I think we will bring in a vet qb as a place holder.We may also bring in a guard based on their evaluation of Swartz.

Assuming we can re-sign CJ,TD and james anderson on defense we will bring in a serviceable DT and cb and possibly a saftey.

Edited by jarhead, 24 May 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#51 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

I don't know. I haven't really been breaking down tape or anything, but fb was an important position when this offense worked and the running game took a noticeable step back with the loss of Hoover. There were obviously several other factors, but I would feel fine about it if the team tried to make an upgrade there to help out.

that had 1000X more to do with our offensive line than our FB...

#52 jherald

jherald

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

Moss is available. There's always TO....lmao.

#53 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

Moss is available. There's always TO....lmao.

Come on Man

#54 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

that had 1000X more to do with our offensive line than our FB...

In 2009, Gross and Otah missed multiple games at the same time and the running game still functioned at a pretty high level. I'd say lack of a passing game had more to do with it than anything, but fullback could have been a factor.

#55 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

In 2009, Gross and Otah missed multiple games at the same time and the running game still functioned at a pretty high level. I'd say lack of a passing game had more to do with it than anything, but fullback could have been a factor.

and we had 2 good backups to fill in.. while this past year our offensive line lost Gross, Wharton, and Otah.. we had the entire OLine filled with new guys except Kalil.. and our right side of the line was horrendous.

not a good comparison..

#56 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

and we had 2 good backups to fill in.. while this past year our offensive line lost Gross, Wharton, and Otah.. we had the entire OLine filled with new guys except Kalil.. and our right side of the line was horrendous.

not a good comparison..

The backups that saw significant time because of injury that year were Mackenzy Bernadeau and Geoff Schwartz. The same guys that got plugged in this year. I think it's a pretty apt comparison. When they were put in last year, the running game was just as good if not better. This year the whole line disappointed and actually the running game got better as a whole after Wharton was hurt. I don't think that's an indictment of Gross, Wharton, or the line as a whole. I think it reflects the necessity of a passing game and, perhaps, a decline of the play at fullback (Hoover to Fiametta). Like I said, I haven't broken down film, but I think we might look to upgrade the position.

Edited by Stroupe-a-loop, 24 May 2011 - 11:30 AM.
redundancy and whatnot

#57 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

not a good comparison..

Gross started all 16 games as well.

#58 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

one thing about that right side...geoff schwartz actually ended up doing pretty good at RG.

from an article at pff...

He performed admirably in those starts, giving up just one sack and three pressures in 90 pass-blocking snaps. His run blocking, however, earned a grade of -3.0, failing to inspire much hope heading into the 2010 season.
Tackling An Opportunity Head On
As can sometimes be the case, a small injury scare can turn into something far more significant. So it proved to be for the Panthers’ franchise right tackle, Jeff Otah, who missed the entire year despite never seeming that far from returning. That development thrust Schwartz into the starting lineup from day one of the 2010 season, a spot he would not relinquish; Schwartz stayed on the field for every Panthers offensive snap.
For the first five weeks, Geoff lined up as the right tackle. He had some struggles, most notably against Tampa Bay where Tim Crowder beat him on far too regular a basis, but he was playing a darnn sight better than Otah had in 2009, and was superb in Carolina’s narrow defeat to New Orleans. Allowing no pressures in that game, Schwartz controlled Alex Brown in every area and even mauled Sedrick Ellis on a couple of plays as he got down the line to best the former first round pick.
Given an opportunity by chance, Schwartz was looking like anything but a problem at the right tackle spot.
On Your Guard
The Panthers did, however, have a problem next to Schwartz. Right guard Mackenzy Bernadeau was finding the going tough and had already given up three sacks through five weeks. So, the backup-turned-starting tackle kicked in to right guard, and Garry Williams moved into the starting lineup.
Personally, I’ve never been a fan of replacing players who are performing badly by shifting those playing well from their preferred positions – you’re risking making both positions worse. Half of that was certainly true in this case as Garry Williams struggled throughout the year.
But the other half? Well that worked out and then some.
Settling In
Schwartz experienced another teething period that began when he faced the 49ers’ 3-4 defense. The Panthers’ new right guard struggled with Takeo Spikes and looked, for the first time in his career, worryingly out of his depth.
Slowly though, he got to grips with the position, highlighted by fine performances near the season’s end where he produced three perfect games in pass protection.
And then there was his run blocking. Though not consistent (he ended the season with his worst performance of the year in Atlanta), he did find some joy against the big teams. In Week 14, also against Atlanta, he had two pull blocks that saw him get to the second level, take out a linebacker and cornerback, and give his running back plenty of room to scamper for big yardage.
Two weeks later, as the Steelers put a beating on Carolina, Schwartz three times laid successful down blocks on Casey Hampton (yes the Casey Hampton) to create running room. This was offset by only one negative run blocking play (again struggling to get out on a linebacker.)
http://www.profootba...olina-panthers/

if otah comes back healthy then an oline of gross/wharton/kalil/schwartz/otah might be good.

that said, i do want us to address RG and maybe OT in FA. i don't trust our Oline to stay healthy. we have to be stacked there in a big way if our offense is going to do any good. ideally i would like to see us with 9-10 Oline on the roster, just to make sure we have solid depth. i want us to go after marshal yanda (who can do well at RG or RT) and either justin blalock or harvey dahl (both from the falcons).

i would also look into jared gaither and see if he's healthy. the price could be nice for an LT of his caliber. could be good insurance if gross gets knocked out. maybe sean locklear from the seahawks. great in pass protection but sucks at run blocking. aside from yanda could be the best RT in FA.

#59 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,398 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

FB won't play a bigr role like it did with fox. i don't see us using more than one back in the backfield much at all.

would be a big adjustments for the rb's

#60 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

would be a big adjustments for the rb's

could be. i just don't see it fitting the scheme all that well. more important that they get more receivers on the field.

the RBs will get used to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com