Photo
- - - - -

Who will the Panthers bring in to help on offense?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#76 jherald

jherald

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

What is wrong with you people? Braylon Edwards is the biggest fail-hands overrated wide receiver there is. Would MUCH rather have Steve Breaston, Malcolm Floyd, or VJax.

Hell, I'd rather have Owen Daniels, Zach Miller, or Mercedes Lewis (also impending UFA's) than Braylon.

Agreed. Extremely overrated!

#77 44johnson

44johnson

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

[quote name='BeerMe']What is wrong with you people? Braylon Edwards is the biggest fail-hands overrated wide receiver there is. Would MUCH rather have Steve Breaston, Malcolm Floyd, or VJax.

Hell, I'd rather have Owen Daniels, Zach Miller, or Mercedes Lewis (also impending UFA's) than Braylon.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=rayzor;3131991]braylon edwards targets/receptions/drops
2008: 138/55/19
2009: 94/45/6
2010: 102/53/4 (worth noting that stats, inc. has him only dropping 2)

anyone seeing a trend here?

sure, you look at a 3 year stretch and throw all the numbers in a blender and it doesn't look pretty. you take each year on it's own merit and see whats going on and...well...i'm impressed with the growth.[/QUOTE]

I agreed with you until I saw this post. Now he seems to be new and improved

#78 BeerMe

BeerMe

In Chico We Trust.

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

[quote name='44johnson']QUOTE=rayzor;3131991]braylon edwards targets/receptions/drops
2008: 138/55/19
2009: 94/45/6
2010: 102/53/4 (worth noting that stats, inc. has him only dropping 2)

anyone seeing a trend here?

sure, you look at a 3 year stretch and throw all the numbers in a blender and it doesn't look pretty. you take each year on it's own merit and see whats going on and...well...i'm impressed with the growth.[/QUOTE]

I agreed with you until I saw this post. Now he seems to be new and improved[/QUOTE]

That's because Sanchez throws girly softballs for Braylon's tender little hands. He couldn't handle a precisely focused rocket out of Cam's laser awesome cannon.:cam:

#79 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hate to say it guys, but I don't see us bringing anyone in with the exception of a back-up QB if Steve Smith stays. Reality is we have plenty of offensive weapons. A coaching staff that cares and knows how to utilize the weapons we have will help a lot. Don't forget we still have one of the best Olines in football when healthy, Double Trouble, Smitty(if he stays), and a host of young wideouts that have a promising future.

#80 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

Can def see:

Vet WR...smitty is gone guys
OL Depth
DT
CB...think Marshal is also gone

#81 jarhead

jarhead

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

one thing about that right side...geoff schwartz actually ended up doing pretty good at RG.

from an article at pff...

if otah comes back healthy then an oline of gross/wharton/kalil/schwartz/otah might be good.

that said, i do want us to address RG and maybe OT in FA. i don't trust our Oline to stay healthy. we have to be stacked there in a big way if our offense is going to do any good. ideally i would like to see us with 9-10 Oline on the roster, just to make sure we have solid depth. i want us to go after marshal yanda (who can do well at RG or RT) and either justin blalock or harvey dahl (both from the falcons).

i would also look into jared gaither and see if he's healthy. the price could be nice for an LT of his caliber. could be good insurance if gross gets knocked out. maybe sean locklear from the seahawks. great in pass protection but sucks at run blocking. aside from yanda could be the best RT in FA.

Thanks for the article.We need help on the OL .I do not think we can count on Otah at all.We need help on the OL if we are still going to run the ball and protect our qbs

#82 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hate to say it guys, but I don't see us bringing anyone in with the exception of a back-up QB if Steve Smith stays. Reality is we have plenty of offensive weapons. A coaching staff that cares and knows how to utilize the weapons we have will help a lot. Don't forget we still have one of the best Olines in football when healthy, Double Trouble, Smitty(if he stays), and a host of young wideouts that have a promising future.

Gettis and LaFell are not weapons on offense and Shockey may or may not play a full season. Our main weapons consist of an old receiver (Smitty) and 2 stud RBs.. I would hardly call that full of weapons.

we need a solid receiver brought in.. whether Smitty stays or leaves.

#83 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

whether he stays or goes, i can't see us not bringing in solid talent.

i like gettis' and lafell's potential...but i don't want the team to move forward as if their potential is guaranteed. work with them, develop them, but act as if at least one of them is going to turn into the next keary colbert.

if smith stays, then we just bring in one big talent. if he goes, then we bring in two. no way should we stick with the status quo. the group of an aging smith, a green gettis, and an equally green lafell (crap, i'll even throw in armanti and pilares) just isn't going to get it. we need more help at receiver. i just can't see rivera and chud wanting to take a "wait and see" approach with smith who is no guarantee to have his head on straight or be healthy to play all 16 games and two barely tested young WRs. they'll have the cap space for it and they've got a new shiny (and expensive) QB that they have to make sure has all the best possible targets to throw to.

panthers are going to have to make big splashes in FA this year to make up for last year and to help out this new coach and new QB. richardson has put the team in good financial position to do this and i fully believe he wants that to happen.

#84 jarhead

jarhead

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Sorry but I see Gettis and LaFell as raw talent and Shockey being on his last leg.

I am sorry but we have to provide our new qb with a better supporting class or he will spend much of the season on his back

#85 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

Sorry but I see Gettis and LaFell as raw talent and Shockey being on his last leg.

I am sorry but we have to provide our new qb with a better supporting class or he will spend much of the season on his back

No we don't........we just need remotely decent QB play and he will spend no more time on the ground than what the norm is in the NFL. Actually probably less b/c our OL if healthy and backfield is better than the majority of those in the NFL and will be leaned upon.

I hate how people imply that since Jimmy Clausen played so poorly, every QB under the sun is doomed without a major rehaul of the offense. (oh, and b/c Matt Moore had 3 bad quarters).