#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

The U.S. Justice Department has refused to pay $750,000 to a Michigan insurance company for a Ferrari that was wrecked in Kentucky while driven by an FBI agent.

In a recent response to a lawsuit in Detroit, the Justice Department insisted it’s immune to tort claims when certain goods are in the hands of law enforcement. The government refused to release most documents related to the crash.

The rare Ferrari F50 was stolen in 2003 from a dealer in Rosemont, Pa., and discovered five years later in Kentucky. The FBI kept it in Lexington, Ky., as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

In May 2009, the Ferrari was being moved from a garage. Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Hamilton Thompson said he was invited to a “short ride” by FBI agent Fred Kingston.

“Just a few seconds after we left the parking lot, we went around a curve and the rear of the car began sliding,” Thompson said in an email released to Motors Insurance Co., the dealer’s insurer.

“The agent tried to regain control but the car fishtailed and slid sideways up onto the curb. The vehicle came to rest against a row of bushes and a small tree,” Thompson said.

He was not hurt but Kingston needed a few stitches for a cut on his head.

Motors Insurance told the government that the 1995 Ferrari, one of only 50 in the U.S., suffered substantial damage and is a “total loss.”

http://www.claimsjou...5/24/186087.htm

#2 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

The movie The Rock taught me FBI agents are immune to property destruction. Government isn't spending your hard earned tax dollars. Its a win win right?

#3 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

They were racing it trying to be funny. I saw this a week ago or so.

#4 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Freakin insurance companies. Always first thing is to figure how not to pay a claim.

#5 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Freakin insurance companies. Always first thing is to figure how not to pay a claim.

More like corporation trying not to pay a lawsuit. Washington Inc. wins again.

#6 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

More like corporation trying not to pay a lawsuit. Washington Inc. wins again.

When you get big and mom don't buy insurance for you you will see.

#7 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

I slid off the road on some gravel in a curve and did 7k damage to the front right side of my brand new Nissan Frontier in 2009. My insurance company, Nationwide, had it in the shop in less than 8 hrs.

Insurance is a scam for the most part, but in most cases they do what you pay them to do. Of course, there are many cases, particularly for large claims, where they try and do their best to not pay.

#8 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

OooooooooKaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy

:confused:

#9 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

I slid off the road on some gravel in a curve and did 7k damage to the front right side of my brand new Nissan Frontier in 2009. My insurance company, Nationwide, had it in the shop in less than 8 hrs.

Insurance is a scam for the most part, but in most cases they do what you pay them to do. Of course, there are many cases, particularly for large claims, where they try and do their best to not pay.

My wife is a claims processor for a major insurer.

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

My wife is a claims processor for a major insurer.

Posted Image
This guy's my brother.

#11 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image
This guy's my brother.

Yea. They are rewriting most policies with an exclusionary clause if this guy is anyway near.

#12 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

Yea. the insurance industry is one of the most evil businesses possible. they have no problem smiling at you every month, assuring you that "you are in good hands..." when you hand them the check.

But, come time for them to pay out on a claim, they get they're shiny lawyers all suited up for court, and throw they're money around as leverage in a manner that forces the little guy to either give up, of lose half of his claim money to lawyers by the time you win your case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com