35 replies to this topic

#16 Planiversal

Planiversal

Gigantic Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

no american is going to pick berries in the beating sun for what you can pay an illegal immigrant to do it in the current state of affairs, this i agree with. so lets keep illegal immigrants with amnesty and sanction the practice so that businesses continue to do that? i have a real problem with that mentality, its exploitative and hypocritical. remove some of the ridiculous social safety net we have that allows people to not work for a living and kick the illegal immigrants out - i promise you that agro business would find a wage not far from where they are at now that these people would work for if they weren't getting endless welfare. hell, you could just get the labor bureau to have an office that keeps the live labor requirements of the local businesses, including agriculture, and when someone comes in to apply just save the paperwork and show them this exciting new job opportunity - instant placement. if they are disinclined, thank them for their time and start talking to the next person in the line who may be sincere.

#17 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,614 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm not arguing for keeping Illegals working, don't get that mistaken. I'm all for complete deportation of truly Illegal immigrants. I'm just pointing out that exploitation has been happening and now these huge corporate owned farmers are crying because they can't find labor who's willing to live in a shack for 2bucks a day.

#18 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

It's not just farms either. I know a LOT of local construction companies in my hometown rely primarily on illegals. They have designated spots where they go stand in the morning if they're looking for work and all the construction workers go and pick them up, no questions asked in most cases.

#19 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

Cut welfare/foodstamps and you'll have a work force pickin berries in a heartbeat.
Why work when you can get a cheap hand out? Check this out, what if the Gov matched
what poor folks made in a week? Say you made 300 bucks for a weeks work. The Gov cuts you another 300$ check. You know, helping those who help themselves kind of thing. I can get behind a deal like that.

BTW, Americans have it waaay too ez. My dad's generation punks us to no end.

Edited by GritsRgreat, 07 June 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#20 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

It's gonna take time to fill any jobs. I don't know where all these farms are located but I imagine some will require folks to relocate and that doesn't happen overnight for a farming job. I don't know how much farming pays. Probably nothing if illegal immigrants were doing it.

#21 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,785 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

Anyone in AZ complaining about not having a job should report to a local farmer and ask for one..

#22 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,383 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Why would they want to work for so damn cheap in the US when they can just go home and do the same damn thing?? all they do here is live in the same cramped place and take over wal-marts.

#23 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

We've always looked for indentured servitude in agriculture. That's why farmers had 8-9 kids. That's why farmers took on kids who's parents worked and needed a place for their kids to hang out. I did it. And in retrospect...I loved it. Gave me tons of just basic knowledge (plumbing, electrical, etc) that I've used throughout my life.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that adults should not be slaves and our government subsidizing their existence because we're afraid to speak up.

None of that changes the fact that these people have a right to pursue their own livelihoods, just like you or I do. The government needs to open the borders and actually protect individual liberties for a change.

#24 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Many of the founders owned slaves.

So our founders owning slaves directly discredits individualism, and the notion laid down by law that each man ought to be sovereign over his own being? The very notion conservatives ignore in trying to keep Mexicans out of the country?

The answer is no.

#25 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

It's gonna take time to fill any jobs. I don't know where all these farms are located but I imagine some will require folks to relocate and that doesn't happen overnight for a farming job. I don't know how much farming pays. Probably nothing if illegal immigrants were doing it.

Arturo S. Rodriguez, president of United Farm Workers, said migrant farm workers are exposed to blistering heat with little or no shade and few water breaks. It's skilled work, he said, requiring produce pickers to be exact and quick. While the best mushroom pickers can earn about $35,000 to $40,000 a year for piece work, there's little chance for a good living and American workers don't seem interested in farm jobs.

"It is extremely difficult, hard, dangerous work," Rodriguez said.

Last year Rodriguez's group started the "Take Our Jobs" campaign to entice American workers to take the fields. He said of about 86,000 inquiries the group got about the offer, only 11 workers took jobs.

http://www.taiwannew....php?id=1619304

Surprisingly the Huddle's own rape-supporting, MLK dissing poster makes yet another wrong assumption. On all counts.

#26 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Cut welfare/foodstamps and you'll have a work force pickin berries in a heartbeat.
Why work when you can get a cheap hand out? Check this out, what if the Gov matched
what poor folks made in a week? Say you made 300 bucks for a weeks work. The Gov cuts you another 300$ check. You know, helping those who help themselves kind of thing. I can get behind a deal like that.

I agree with your plan for helping those who help themselves - it's the way I feel wellfare should be.

However, I continue to find it troubling how easy some folks seem to think getting on wellfare actually is. Let me tell you from experience, it's near impossible to get a government 'hand out' unless you have kids, are unemployed for long periods of time, are female, are disabled, or some combination of those factors.

I tried to apply or medicaid once during college as I couldn't begin to afford insurance and they basically told me it wasn't even worth my time to apply as I was a single male with no kids. Now, what being male/female has to do with it is beyond me. I suppose it's because poor single parents tend to be women. but I was told that does factor in.

It's not as if anyone can quit their job, wait a week, apply for full wellfare benefits and have the government cut them a check for all their expenses every month. It actually is a rather difficult system to get into. The problem is the loopholes that allow illegals to receive the maximum benefits just because they come here and have kids, and the fact that the system isn't designed to help people out in the long-term.

For example, if someone is on wellfare and is receiving $500 worth of food stamps per month, medicaid for themselves and their kid(s), and getting assistance paying their bills (which is extremely difficult to get on a monthly basis actually; that type of assistance is once/twice a year max in most cases). Anyway, if that person were to then get a job working 30 hours per week at roughly minimum wage, their benefits would be cut almost completely.

As a result, that person would actually end up worse off working than they were on wellfare. If they did, as GritsRgreat suggested, continue helping those who find work and are making an effort - lower their benefits, but don't cut them out completely - and deny benefits to those who stay unemployed for years at a time and don't bother trying then the whole system would be more effective in helping people to move on to better things as opposed to staying on wellfare.

#27 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,383 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

As a result, that person would actually end up worse off working than they were on wellfare. If they did, as GritsRgreat suggested, continue helping those who find work and are making an effort - lower their benefits, but don't cut them out completely - and deny benefits to those who stay unemployed for years at a time and don't bother trying then the whole system would be more effective in helping people to move on to better things as opposed to staying on wellfare.

This badly needs to happen but our government is too inept to do anything of the sort.

#28 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

So our founders owning slaves directly discredits individualism, and the notion laid down by law that each man ought to be sovereign over his own being? The very notion conservatives ignore in trying to keep Mexicans out of the country?

The answer is no.

The fact that our founding fathers owned slaves discredits individualism for certain segments of the population (i.e., the ones that weren't citizens and were instead slaves). This is a wrongdoing of our founders that we have to live with. It took constitutional amendments to overturn this basic premise.

#29 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

The fact that our founding fathers owned slaves discredits individualism for certain segments of the population (i.e., the ones that weren't citizens and were instead slaves). This is a wrongdoing of our founders that we have to live with. It took constitutional amendments to overturn this basic premise.

The ideals were good. How they were put in practice was not.

That's why many consider our Civil War to be our Second Revolutionary War. It completed the first revolution.

#30 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,726 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

I agree with your plan for helping those who help themselves - it's the way I feel wellfare should be.

However, I continue to find it troubling how easy some folks seem to think getting on wellfare actually is. Let me tell you from experience, it's near impossible to get a government 'hand out' unless you have kids, are unemployed for long periods of time, are female, are disabled, or some combination of those factors.

I tried to apply or medicaid once during college as I couldn't begin to afford insurance and they basically told me it wasn't even worth my time to apply as I was a single male with no kids. Now, what being male/female has to do with it is beyond me. I suppose it's because poor single parents tend to be women. but I was told that does factor in.

It's not as if anyone can quit their job, wait a week, apply for full wellfare benefits and have the government cut them a check for all their expenses every month. It actually is a rather difficult system to get into. The problem is the loopholes that allow illegals to receive the maximum benefits just because they come here and have kids, and the fact that the system isn't designed to help people out in the long-term.

For example, if someone is on wellfare and is receiving $500 worth of food stamps per month, medicaid for themselves and their kid(s), and getting assistance paying their bills (which is extremely difficult to get on a monthly basis actually; that type of assistance is once/twice a year max in most cases). Anyway, if that person were to then get a job working 30 hours per week at roughly minimum wage, their benefits would be cut almost completely.

Exactly what I have been saying.

Turn the sytem into a bridge to help people who are working ot help themselves. End the gravy train that it has often become by supporting people for their entire lives.

The benefits need to be reduced as the person's income rises. Make it adventageous for them to work....not a cut in pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com