Photo
- - - - -

2011 Gold Cup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#76 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

success on the big stage will help to improve programs etc also. Just had this discussion with my buddy last night after going to watch an IBL game...curious why basketball isn't bigger in Canada if you figure the inventor was Canadian and it's an indoor sport. Guys like Tristan Thompson getting drafted 4th will help, but until Canadian basketball gets somewhere, you won't see the growth at the younger levels. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

#77 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Nice to see several immature moderators chime in.

In the real world though we have people who directly experienced what I described and they are speaking up:

"CONCACAF should be ashamed of themselves," Howard told the Sporting News after the match. "I think it was a fuging disgrace that the entire post-match ceremony was in Spanish. You can bet your ass if we were in Mexico City, it wouldn't all be in English."

http://www.nesn.com/...r-gold-cup.html

There's no way to avoid an obvious discussion. This is directly related to the Gold Cup.

#78 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

In the real world though we have people who directly experienced what I described and they are speaking up:

There's no way to avoid an obvious discussion. This is directly related to the Gold Cup.

The game was hardly ever advertised on English speaking stations. I saw no commercials on ESPN, because the NBA Draft and MLB were in full swing.

I never watched a single minute of the Gold Cup because I could never find the game. Come to find out it's on Fox Soccer Channel, which is not on basic cable.

Sylvian, I understand you are upset that the U.S. didn't win, but the fact of the matter is, we just don't care. How much more evidence do you need?

Edited by cbarrier90, 26 June 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#79 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

go read Soccernomics. We don't play Western Europe football. We try to cram basketball skill sets into soccer. IT DOESN"T FREAKIN WORK.

How many times did I see an American go 1 on 2 in the corner?? Our soccer culture blows because we don't know what the helll we are doing from the youth up to college.

We just wing it.

#80 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

My bud and I always laugh at the predictability of US play. They have to get rid of that by the book mentality.

#81 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

The American team looked too slow. Especially the defenders. They have to rebuild the team even if it means taking lesser soccer players on the team.

The Mexico attack reminded me of what happened against Ghana. Lazy, slow defense giving up easy goals. The team has strengths but has a long ways to go before being elite. Mexico really isn't that great and it showed by the two easy goals the US netted in the early parts of the game.

They're still quite ahead of the US though.

#82 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

My bud and I always laugh at the predictability of US play. They have to get rid of that by the book mentality.

Every pass is a struggle. The touches are never crisp. We have moments but its painful to watch the US try to move the ball around. I cringe as a former soccer player at what we do.

Watch the US play and you will see elements of hoops mentality.

Give me Klinsmann today and we are infinitely better as a team.

#83 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

The American team looked too slow. Especially the defenders. They have to rebuild the team even if it means taking lesser soccer players on the team.

The Mexico attack reminded me of what happened against Ghana. Lazy, slow defense giving up easy goals. The team has strengths but has a long ways to go before being elite. Mexico really isn't that great and it showed by the two easy goals the US netted in the early parts of the game.

They're still quite ahead of the US though.

Its that but its really this: The entire country of Mexico was dying to beat the US. The match was shown on Fox Soccer Channel.

Winning soccer in the US is somewhere between hybrid cars and stopping urban sprawl.

#84 Acewalker

Acewalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

We need Rossi!

#85 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hey jack wagon. I live in Mexico and I've been to plenty of sporting events that didn't involve one American and English was spoken. No one here gets their panties in a bunch about it. Grow the fug up. Seriously..