Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sporting News Panthers Preview

86 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Nothing much new here - FWIW, they have us picking #1 again.....

[url]http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-14/ron-rivera-defensive-guru-inherits-offensively-challenged-panthers[/url]

Posted · Report post

Honestly, anyone who thinks that we are going to pick #1 again next season (if there IS a season this year) is an absolute moron and should have their credentials revoked. Carolina was VERY unlucky last year as far as injuries to key players, and we had a QB that was literally worse than almost anything I've ever seen in my life.

Now we have Ron Rivera, an entirely new staff, Cam Newton, and a healthy defense. Last place my ass.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Of course, I'd rather us have the worst record and #1 pick than go 3-13 and have the 3rd pick - for obvious reasons....
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I read the article in its entirety and didn't see where the journalist said we would be picking first again next draft. All it said was that he expected us to finish last in our division because we are in the hardest division in football and have a new coach.

Maybe I missed something.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='OnlyPantherfaninMaine']I read the article in its entirety and didn't see where the journalist said we would be picking first again next draft. All it said was that he expected us to finish last in our division because we are in the hardest division in football and have a new coach.

Maybe I missed something.[/QUOTE]

You're right - that comment is in the full NFL season preview - not the one linked.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ECUPantherFan']Honestly, anyone who thinks that we are going to pick #1 again next season (if there IS a season this year) is an absolute moron and should have their credentials revoked. Carolina was VERY unlucky last year as far as injuries to key players, and we had a QB that was literally worse than almost anything I've ever seen in my life.[/QUOTE]

Ha! The biggest problem is gone.

John Fox
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I expect mediocrity this season. Somewhere from 6-10 to 9-7. I think we have potential to be 2nd or 3rd in the division this year though, if we come out swinging and have a little bit of luck. Not likely, but possible. 3rd or 4th in the division is much more likely. Either way, anything is an improvement over that wreck of a season last year. I'm just excited to see the new and improved Panthers on the field.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ECUPantherFan']Honestly, anyone who thinks that we are going to pick #1 again next season (if there IS a season this year) is an absolute moron and should have their credentials revoked. Carolina was VERY unlucky last year as far as injuries to key players, and we had a QB that was literally worse than almost anything I've ever seen in my life.

Now we have Ron Rivera, an entirely new staff, Cam Newton, and a healthy defense. Last place my ass.[/QUOTE]

To play Devil's Advocate, you're saying we have a new coach who has never been a head coach before, a QB who many people consider a work in progress, a defense with it's biggest need still glaring along with other holes, a completely new offensive system using players drafted for the old system, a completely new defensive scheme using players drafted for the old scheme, health concerns for arguably our most important linemen, questions whether two of our best offensive weapons from years past will be on the team next year, etc etc etc

You have to take off the homer glasses and put the optimism that's running rampant aside for a minute and look at things from everyone other than Carolina fans' perspective. Things don't look bright.

Sure everything could gel perfectly and we could be one of those first year coach, first year QB success stories or we could struggle.

Flame away.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hmm Panthers have a great shot at finishing dead last no doubt. Winning 3 or 4 games at best.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TheRealDeal']To play Devil's Advocate, you're saying we have a new coach who has never been a head coach before, a QB who many people consider a work in progress, a defense with it's biggest need still glaring along with other holes, a completely new offensive system using players drafted for the old system, a completely new defensive scheme using players drafted for the old scheme, health concerns for arguably our most important linemen, questions whether two of our best offensive weapons from years past will be on the team next year, etc etc etc

You have to take off the homer glasses and put the optimism that's running rampant aside for a minute and look at things from everyone other than Carolina fans' perspective. Things don't look bright.

Sure everything could gel perfectly and we could be one of those first year coach, first year QB success stories or we could struggle.

Flame away.[/QUOTE]

STFU AND BE HAPPY, ASSHAT!

Just playin', man. :cam:

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ECUPantherFan']Honestly, anyone who thinks that we are going to pick #1 again next season (if there IS a season this year) is an absolute moron and should have their credentials revoked. Carolina was VERY unlucky last year as far as injuries to key players, and we had a QB that was literally worse than almost anything I've ever seen in my life.

Now we have Ron Rivera, an entirely new staff, Cam Newton, and a healthy defense. Last place my ass.[/QUOTE]

injuries were not an issue until late in the season. everyone should delete that off their list of why we sucked last year.

QB wasn't even the biggest case.

coaching and playcalling.

Posted · Report post

I think 3-4 wins would be predictable and 5 or 6 would be solid progress.
1 person likes this