#1 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

The offer made by the owners on March 11 included a commitment to spend 90 percent of the salary cap in cash. This would prevent teams from relying on “dead money” arising from trading or cutting players with large contracts in order to meet the minimum, and it would require all teams to spend a lot of money.

If this provision makes it into the final deal, it means that teams on the low side of the spending equation (and several were millions below what the cap floor would have been in 2010) will have to spend a lot of money in 2011.

That money could be spent via pursuing free agents, and there will be plenty of free agents available if, as expected, the minimum threshold moves from six year back to four. Or it could be spent on young players already on the roster who merit extensions.

http://profootballta...plenty-of-cash/

Open up the wallet JR.

Posted Image

Edited by jtgreensboro, 15 June 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#2 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

i think he will. Especially with no real serious lockout he won't have lost much money if any. So I hope we keep all of the core, all of them. And extend Beason. And sign Coefield.

#3 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,081 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Jonathan Joseph would be another great addition.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,643 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

I think the idea was to spend anyway and give the new coach what he needs to succeed. Very rarely have we ever not bumped up against the cap.

#5 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hmm, interesting. Braylon Edwards and Barry Cofield would make me happy.

#6 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I have seen way too many PFT Articles on the Huddle lately. Look guys, we made a commitment to not visit that trash heap. I have stood by it, I expect you to do the same.

:mad:

#7 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Put up or shut up time for the Panthers indeed. They were never a bad team, their core was very good just very lacking in playmakers at QB,DE(to some degree) and DT.

Matt Moore will be one of these sought after free agents and his only problem last year was getting mauled by a Giants D that put a hurting on many QBs as we would come to find out later.

What I'm saying is that we lucked up last year in a way because we could have easily won more games had the line protected Matty Moore that day.

Now what we have is a potential Pro Bowler at the QB position. If we can only keep Smitty for a while longer. Now is the time JR. SB in three or bust.

#8 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 15,954 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

for most of Fox's tenure weren't we basically hitting the cap anyway?

#9 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,044 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

The Panthers have ALWAYS been one of the top spenders.

Except last year.

Get over it already.

#10 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,081 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Never said he wasn't a big spender, it's just that when we do spend we do stupid things like extending Delhomme or giving Gamble top CB money.

#11 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,106 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

He already knows he will be spending a ton of money in 2011 if he is going to sign his core players. He will likely have to spend between 80-100 million in signing bonuses alone to resign, Kalil, Williams, Davis, Johnson, Anderson and all the other guys whose contracts are expiring or who they want to extend like Beason. Add to that the 20-30 million on Newton (40-50 if there is no rookie cap) he will given as a signing bonus, and he will approach that cash amount even without the money he will have already committed to salaries for players under contract. While he will be under the cap and will likely take out loans for much of that money he has to pay right away when they sign, our payroll with free agents could approach 200 million.

#12 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

I have seen way too many PFT Articles on the Huddle lately. Look guys, we made a commitment to not visit that trash heap. I have stood by it, I expect you to do the same.

:mad:

Does this include the Bleacher Report too?

I must not have gotten the memo.

:jc:

#13 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,044 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Am shocked.

That so many people are so bad at math.

#14 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,880 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

I stop at Bojangles quite a bit for their awesome biscuits. You can thank me if we sign Aso.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,570 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

I think the idea was to spend anyway and give the new coach what he needs to succeed. Very rarely have we ever not bumped up against the cap.

true. there was usually a little wiggle room for emergencies, but it wasn't much.

for most of Fox's tenure weren't we basically hitting the cap anyway?

mostly it was spent on older players that we were holding onto who we shouldn't have. those guys finally got cut.

He already knows he will be spending a ton of money in 2011 if he is going to sign his core players. He will likely have to spend between 80-100 million in signing bonuses alone to resign, Kalil, Williams, Davis, Johnson, Anderson and all the other guys whose contracts are expiring or who they want to extend like Beason. Add to that the 20-30 million on Newton (40-50 if there is no rookie cap) he will given as a signing bonus, and he will approach that cash amount even without the money he will have already committed to salaries for players under contract. While he will be under the cap and will likely take out loans for much of that money he has to pay right away when they sign, our payroll with free agents could approach 200 million.

signing bonuses get spread out through the life of the contract as far as the cap is concerned.

we have only $73mil committed to the cap ($83 including kalil's tag, which they should be able to work out a deal lowering that cap hit for the year).

no one knows what the cap will be, but it should be around $130-135mil. it was at $129mil in '09. that would have us spending at least $117-121mil. contracts that will be going out to guys like williams, CJ, kalil, and newton will be big, but they can be structured to be kind of cap friendly. those four guys could probably have contracts structured so that they would only be a combined 2011 cap hit of $30mil or less (depending on the rookie cap). that would get us just a little bit over $100mil.

the rest of the players they drafted or FAs they want to keep shouldn't add too much to that...maybe another $7-10mil?

point is, if they have to spend 90% of the cap, they will have to bring in a good deal of talent.

one scary thing, the bucs have only about $57mil committed to the cap. i'm not sure what their plans are, but they don't have very many players hitting FA this year. that team could end up getting stacked when all is said and done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.