Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SorthNarolina

What about Cam will revolutionize the game?

201 posts in this topic

I know some people hate to hear this but in order for him to be as productive as possible Newton is going to have to be an active part of our running attack. Especially if he plays early in his career.

Cam was very good about getting as much yardage as possible and then getting to the turf without taking huge hits. Sometimes he would lower his shoulder when he shouldn't but for the most part the only time you saw him trying to run through people was when he needed yardage for a first down or touchdown and had to.

I personally don't buy the fact that suddenly every linebacker is going to kill him and he won't be able to truck extra yardage when needed. The dude is built like a brick house and is incredibly strong. Linebackers in the NFL are bigger and stronger than college ,but they aren't Supermen.

Cam has rare attributes as a running QB and we should magnify and utilize every great asset he has.

1 hit most likely won't ruin his career from an NFL linebacker (although possible)..

taking hits and playing a full 15 year career will.. if our run game is as big and bad as people claim, he doesn't need to run. his scrambling ability will be fully sufficient in forcing the defense to think more than reacting. his ability to pass will be more dangerous for the run game than him having to run and risk injury or a shortened career.

Vick ain't going to last much longer doing what he does. this past year proves that, and it won't get any better.

Newt is bigger, but he's still human and his body will take punishment for it. playing football alone will cause enough wear and tear on the body, even more so elevating that by design runs.

if we are talking about 2 or 3 a game, that's different than 6 or 7... but I'd rather leave the running to the backs.. strategically, I think there's far more risk when the reward can be found in scrambling, RBs, and pure passing ability.

newt will be fine running as long as he learns how to slide and realizes its ok to run out of bounds.

Newton will be good. We falcons are freaking out in the ATL

newt will be fine running as long as he learns how to slide and realizes its ok to run out of bounds.

in other words, scrambling situations...

Plenty of QBs that have been great runners have had nice long careers. Randall Cunningham played @16 seasons and he is tiny compared to Newton.

Plus if you watch the way Cam ran toward the end of last season at Auburn he was very good at getting on the ground when there was no more yardage to be gained. Only when he needed to get an extra yard or two did he lower his shoulder and take a hit.

Vick is super fast but his body isn't designed to take that kind of punishment. Cam's is.

I was the biggest Cam supporter on this board but I can honestly say that if we drafted Cam to be a pure pocket passer we may have wasted that pick. His unique skill set has to be utilized in order for him to be as successful as I envision him IMO.

I just want him to exhaust all possible options as a passer before he tries to run with it.

I just want him to exhaust all possible options as a passer before he tries to run with it.

well that might be going overboard.....I just want passing to remain his #1 choice. If he has a lane to do damage....he is gonna need to take that option at times instead of risking a negative play.

Luckily with JB AND TD playing with him he's gonna learn real quick not to man up on nfl linebackers and go down

Luckily with JB AND TD playing with him he's gonna learn real quick not to man up on nfl linebackers and go down

Cam probably is big enough he take that gamble if the situation calls for it.....Cam won't find out what he can and can't get away until preseason starts though.