Photo
- - - - -

What about Cam will revolutionize the game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
196 replies to this topic

#37 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

has newton ever faced 11 professional nfl players on defense before?

what makes you think he is going to be able to run circles around them they way he did the average college athletes?

#38 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I respectfully disagree with nearly everything you just wrote.

Are you saying that if Cam doesn't come out and play amazing both with his legs and arm THIS season, he is overrated and not that good to begin with?

I just want to make sure we have the premise for your argument correct

No.

I think Cam will come out and show why he was drafted #1 overall. I expect tons of bad play but the good/promise to come with it.

my arguement is only Cam isn't significantly behind the other QBs in terms of ability as a passer heading into the NFL that have come out in 2010 and 2011. His skill set is better suited for the next level than many of them (and that includes as a passer).

#39 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Cue the SEC is like the NFL

One thing I'll never understand is why we as Panther fans want to bash other QBs who have had moderate success in the NFL in hopes of making the QB we already drafted look better.

If anything it only sets us up for disappointment by being too optimistic. We are trying to convince ourselves that Cam was better than all of them in college and will automatically be better than all of them in the pros when we really need patience with him.

Knocking other guys or making comparisons to some really great QBs before he plays a down is likely going to lead to disappointment.

#40 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

my arguement is only Cam isn't significantly behind the other QBs in terms of ability as a passer heading into the NFL that have come out in 2010 and 2011. His skill set is better suited for the next level than many of them (and that includes as a passer).

If by skill set you mean height and speed I agree.

If you mean skill set in terms of actual skills related to being a passer, I disagree wholeheartedly.

#41 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

If by skill set you mean height and speed I agree.

If you mean skill set in terms of actual skills related to being a passer, I disagree wholeheartedly.

pocket presense, size, speed , throwing motion, arm strength......I would argue Cam averages out better in those categories than most that have come out.

Cam needs to work on accuracy and the mental aspects of the position.

Edited by CRA, 29 June 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#42 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Cue the SEC is like the NFL

One thing I'll never understand is why we as Panther fans want to bash other QBs who have had moderate success in the NFL in hopes of making the QB we already drafted look better.

If anything it only sets us up for disappointment by being too optimistic. We are trying to convince ourselves that Cam was better than all of them in college and will automatically be better than all of them in the pros when we really need patience with him.

Knocking other guys or making comparisons to some really great QBs before he plays a down is likely going to lead to disappointment.

Never said Cam was better than them....just saying those guys are signifcantly ahead in that department heading into the league.

#43 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

HUDDLER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

He Cam Barthalamew Newton esquire the third.

#44 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

It isn't just height and speed. He has a good release and better accuracy than some give him credit for. His mechanical issues are the good kind that can be fixed (mostly his footwork).

#45 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Cam won't revolutionize the QB position as much as he is an example of what most NFL QBs may look like 15 years from now. Maybe sooner if he has a lot of success.

#46 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Bradford struggled to make any passes downfield his rookie year.

The question was about who was signficantly ahead of Cam as a passer heading into the NFL. Lots of QBs played in spread offense and built better stats in college....doesn't mean they are ahead.

Clausen for example, looking at him as he headed into the NFL....he had poor mechanics, height, and questionable arm strength when looking at his game transitioning to the NFL. His game was better suited for college vs. the pros. How does that put him ahead as a passer?

it isn't about who was a good college player....it is about there passing skill set heading into the NFL and what the NFL asks of QBs.

Sanchez has been one of the most inaccurate and worst passers in the NFL the past 2 seasons. I mean the proof is in the pudding....Sanchez couldn't of been vastly ahead as poor as he has performed.

If this is how you judge them, then you need to wait until Newton's been in the NFL a year before you form any opinion.

All of these guys had better mechanics, footwork, and accuracy than Newton. Does that make them better QBs? Of course not. It makes them more polished. And the best example of that is Clausen. He's been getting coaching on mechanics and such since he was in kindergarten. And he showed them all off in college to the point where he was once considered a top draft prospect. Then he gets to the NFL, and the pressure and speed of the game makes him forget everything and look completely unprepared. It happens to a lot of QBs, and it will happen to our rookie too.

Plain and simple, it doesn't matter what these guys did their rookie year. All of them were better passers coming out of college. Better QBs? Doubtful, Newton can move chains like nobody else. The difference is, Cam has size to take a hit without falling, the presence to avoid a hit, and the speed to get away from the defense to set up again somewhere else, or to turn upfield and run. Granted, he may be exposed by NFL speed and power just like Clausen was, but since his game doesn't depend on having a high comfort level in the pocket, he probably won't be.

#47 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

BTW you guys are lucky. I had a 15 paragraph post explaining exactly how Cam could revolutionize the way mobile QBs could be evaluated by scouts and draftniks in the future if he is successful. On the last sentence my computer arbitrarily shut down and I lost it all and don't have the heart or patience to re-type it. :(

#48 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

HUDDLER

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

BTW you guys are lucky. I had a 15 paragraph post explaining exactly how Cam could revolutionize the way mobile QBs could be evaluated by scouts and draftniks in the future if he is successful. On the last sentence my computer arbitrarily shut down and I lost it all and don't have the heart or patience to re-type it. :(

damn ...... that is good news! :D