Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Sorenson: Claussen will almost certainly open season as starter

178 posts in this topic

I have no problem with sacraficing Clausen to the football gods in order to avoid ruining Cam.

if newton has a firm grasp on the playbook and the respect of the players, then he needs to be the starter, esp. if there is no one significantly better on the roster.

if all that he has left to learn is the speed of the game and how to read and respond to defenses, then he needs to be in there to learn it. can't coddle the guy because we are afraid of "ruining" him. let him earn his lumps and build that relationship with his team on the field in real games.

You guys are all motherfugers

QBs rarely improve year 1 to year 2. I don't see why people keep thinking this is realistic.

Don't agree with this at all. Almost all players, QB's included improve from yr 1 to yr2. Of course, they are asked to do more, so their numbers tend to suffer, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't improve.

Thats not to say Clausen will or will not start.

1 person likes this

Also, fwiw I wouldn't trust any coach that planned on handing the reins over to a player who hasn't yet played a single NFL down. Lets at least wait and see how he does in preseason.

Im sure the coaching staff, at this point, believes it is doubtful that Pickles will start. They have no reason not to. All they have to go on is last year's tape. Like when he was blatantly outplayed by St. Pierre; a guy that no one else wanted and had only been on the team a few days. The truth is though that no one knows who will be starting until the season starts. There is a whole training camp and pre-season for our guys to compete and show the coaches who is ready.

May the best cam win. j/k

i was actually thinking about this and how you could justify starting clausen and you simply can't, just because in a simple offense, which I think they're going to run regardless, Cam Newton offers you far more than Pickles.

I don't think Clausen was ruined last year for good, but he regressed throughout the year and should probably be regarded as a rookie.

Let's say the Panthers want to run the ball 40 times a game, both to take advantage of their strength and let both develop slowly behind center. Who do you want rolling out on a play action?

Not only does Cam have a stronger arm (and not just because Clausen has no deep ball) but if he gets into the open field he's going to ruin some poo. Not many corners are going to be able to bring him down. Additionally, because of that, defenses are going to have to respect him and give him more throwing options. That linebacker that can stick with a tight end doing whatever now has to stick with Cam. If Jimmy took off I think he might succeed the first time due to everyone laughign so hard but he'd be murdered the second time.

Cam's also about 6 foot thirty so even with someone in his face he's going to have a clear view.

I don't know, I think when building an offense for a young QB, Cam offers worlds more than Pickles.

Also keep in mind Cam has spent almost every moment since he was drafted at IMG, training with current and former NFL players.

Not only that, he's had a private tutor to help him with the playbook. Dorsey played under Chudzinski both at UMiami and Cleveland.

It's a safe assumption he has a better grip on the offense at this point than Jimmy.

How do you know that Jimmy isn't doing something similar?

How do you know that Jimmy isn't doing something similar?

Gantt's tweeting.

He's working to be sure, but nothing like what cam is getting.

It's not really fair to be honest. Cam got the invite because they want him to be sorta their pilot program that launches their football division, so they're throwing the kitchen sink at him. Jimmy isn't exactly as sexy a first pupil.

i was actually thinking about this and how you could justify starting clausen and you simply can't, just because in a simple offense, which I think they're going to run regardless, Cam Newton offers you far more than Pickles.

I don't think Clausen was ruined last year for good, but he regressed throughout the year and should probably be regarded as a rookie.

Let's say the Panthers want to run the ball 40 times a game, both to take advantage of their strength and let both develop slowly behind center. Who do you want rolling out on a play action?

Not only does Cam have a stronger arm (and not just because Clausen has no deep ball) but if he gets into the open field he's going to ruin some poo. Not many corners are going to be able to bring him down. Additionally, because of that, defenses are going to have to respect him and give him more throwing options. That linebacker that can stick with a tight end doing whatever now has to stick with Cam. If Jimmy took off I think he might succeed the first time due to everyone laughign so hard but he'd be murdered the second time.

Cam's also about 6 foot thirty so even with someone in his face he's going to have a clear view.

I don't know, I think when building an offense for a young QB, Cam offers worlds more than Pickles.

THIS x 100