40 replies to this topic

#1 ThaJackal

ThaJackal

Arschloch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

Watched a bit of the race in New Hampshire today and there were a lot of empty seats. I haven't watched a lot of races this year but this is a bit surprising. What is the future for NASCAR? My job is distantly related to it and the dwindling crowds are a bit concerning.

#2 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

It was a Grand National race today. Although Sunday may not be much better.

#3 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

if I had to choose between paying my mortgage and feeding the kids or going to the track and watching a bunch of left hand turns....= empty seats.

#4 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Watched a bit of the race in New Hampshire today and there were a lot of empty seats. I haven't watched a lot of races this year but this is a bit surprising. What is the future for NASCAR? My job is distantly related to it and the dwindling crowds are a bit concerning.

Alienating the die-hard fanbases that watched and lived the sport while it was in its infancy and moving those races to tracks where people just don't care (see NHL.)

IMO, that's the core issue, but blame can also be placed on the economy and so much coverage of the sport now that there's no need to go to a race (see NFL) when you could be in the comfort of your own home and able to take that glorious 3-hour mid-race nap.

Edited by cbarrier90, 17 July 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#5 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

They took it off TV. It is losing popularity. NFL is trending the same. People not only can't afford tickets. They can no longer afford to pay the $75 a month to watch these programs.

#6 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yesterday was nationwide series, todays cup crowd looks pretty full.

And jim, basic cable doesnt cost $75, and tickets are cheaper than any time i can remember.

People bitched about the cup guys running all the nationwide races, but guess what? The ratings have fallen off since a lot of the cup guys started staying in the top series.

Edited by cptx, 17 July 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'll tell you what's wrong with NASCAR... it sucks. Spoiled whiny drivers... shitty cars that are all exactly alike... boring tracks and most of all, the chase has ruined it. They no longer race to win, but they race not to crash.

I was big into NASCAR in the late 90s, but it's gotten so bad that I can't even watch... they have completely lost me as a fan.

#8 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

They dont race to win? Youtube the last laps of michigan this year. If you cant bear to watch what are you basing your opinion on?

#9 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

They dont race to win? Youtube the last laps of michigan this year. If you cant bear to watch what are you basing your opinion on?

I watch enough every now and then to have an opinion, but I watch less and less and lately, really not at all.

Compared to NASCAR 10 years ago, today's racing sucks... you don't have to agree with me.

#10 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

I hated the CoT with a passion at first, but last year they lost that stupid wing and went back to the spoiler, and this year they axed the ugly ass splitter and cleaned up the front end. Also the crews are figuring them out finally along with nascar tweaking the rules, they arent IROC cars anymore.

Theres been some good racing this year, with a few exceptions. Hell im even enjoying louden, which is pretty rare.

#11 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

People were saying the same thing 10 years ago lol. Everything changes

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,532 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

I watch enough every now and then to have an opinion, but I watch less and less and lately, really not at all.

Compared to NASCAR 10 years ago, today's racing sucks... you don't have to agree with me.

Interestingly they were talking about a race in 2000 where Jeff Burton won led every lap because passing was impossible. There were some terrible races back then.

I didn't think today's race was all that bad.

Last weeks was one of the worst ever.

#13 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,532 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

I haven't seen any offical figures but I think last year was the rock bottom for attendence.

charlotte vegas and Brickyard are three tracks I recall being empty last year and much fuller this year.

I barely noticed the fans today

#14 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,310 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

I haven't seen any offical figures but I think last year was the rock bottom for attendence.

charlotte vegas and Brickyard are three tracks I recall being empty last year and much fuller this year.

Sure there's always bad races just like in other sports... I think the most telling thing is the lack of attendance and low TV ratings.

That race (Talledega?) where they were doing that two car drafting was horrible.

#15 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

They havent been to the brickyard yet this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com