#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has shot down a US spy drone which was flying over the central Iranian province of Qom, a lawmaker says.

A member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian Majlis (Parliament), Ali Aqazadeh Dafsari, said on Tuesday that the unmanned spy plane was flying near the Fordo nuclear enrichment plant in Qom province when the IRGC's Air Defense units brought it down, Javanoline.ir reported.

The official stated that the US drone was on a mission to identify the location of the Fordo nuclear enrichment plant and gather information about the nuclear facility for the CIA, Dafsari stated.

Earlier in the day, Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast had said that the country is installing a new generation of uranium enrichment centrifuges in the country's nuclear facilities to enhance the Islamic Republic's peaceful nuclear program.

http://www.presstv.i...ail/189873.html

#2 Grammer

Grammer

Troll. Ignore Me.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

lol, shot down by a 3rd world country. i cant believe people still think we're indestructible

#3 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

It was a drone. Not a weaponized plane or copter.

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thats why we use drones, so we don't have to risk people.

And no one thinks we are indestructible.

Of course, this comes from Iran's own press, so I will wait to see it from a more reliable source like the National Enquirer before I believe it.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 19 July 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#5 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

lol, shot down by a 3rd world country. i cant believe people still think we're indestructible

it was a drone those things are like flying cows. Especially if it was a prop driven drone.

#6 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Don't call trigger happy obummer's bluff.

#7 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, trust the Iranians.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

it was a drone those things are like flying cows. Especially if it was a prop driven drone.

They aren't very fast, but they surivive mostly because they are small and hard to pick up, either by radar or the naked eye. If you can see one, you can shoot it down with old world war II style anti aircraft guns, but seeing it is the hard part.

Fwiw, when I worked at Joint Intel Center Pacific and COMUSNAVCENT in Bahrain, the Iranians claimed to have shot down at least one US aircraft a week. If they had been telling the truth, we would have lost half our air force to them by now.

#9 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,797 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

They aren't very fast, but they surivive mostly because they are small and hard to pick up, either by radar or the naked eye. If you can see one, you can shoot it down with old world war II style anti aircraft guns, but seeing it is the hard part.

Fwiw, when I worked at Joint Intel Center Pacific and COMUSNAVCENT in Bahrain, the Iranians claimed to have shot down at least one US aircraft a week. If they had been telling the truth, we would have lost half our air force to them by now.

so whatever happened to the two shot-down drones that Iran claimed it would be showing off in January?

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

so whatever happened to the two shot-down drones that Iran claimed it would be showing off in January?

Bildaberg decided to prevent them from being displayed. :)

Fwiw, it is possible they have shot down a drone at some point in time. Of course, they also make this stuff up from time to time in order to tell there on people how well protected they are from the evil americans. :)

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 20 July 2011 - 06:58 AM.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

BBC

There has been no independent corroboration of the Iranian claim.

The head of the Revolutionary Guards' air force wing, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, said on Sunday that two "Western spy drones" had been shot down in the Gulf.

He said "many" other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) had been shot down over an unspecified period but that this was the first time it had been reported.

I have trouble believing that if the Iranians had shot down "many" other drones, they would not make as much political hay out of it as they could.

#12 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yeah so far it sounds like the same ol same ol - of course if there's a carrier on it's way in or out of the Gulf this could be a prelude to invasion!

#13 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Iran is a 3rd world country?

#14 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER