76 replies to this topic

#16 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:52 AM

You are going to simplify your posts?

For some of these guys, I guess I will need to bring them to a different level. If someone is still having trouble, they can PM me and I will try to break it down a bit more. Although we sometimes make fun or cynical of political situations, these are important subjects. It is obvious that many on this message board have miss lead and miss directed. I do not mind taking whatever time I can spare to straighten them out. No problem.

#17 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

I still find it funny as hell that the debt ceiling is making so much news now, can't even remember it being mentioned the 7 times Bush raised it.

I'll take moronic grandstanding for 600, Alex!

#18 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Ther are just making a pissing contest over it now. I am telling you, we need to fire ALL these bastards.

#19 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:47 AM

I still find it funny as hell that the debt ceiling is making so much news now, can't even remember it being mentioned the 7 times Bush raised it.

Zod just called Obama a moron.

#20 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Failing to do the right thing in the past is no reason to continue doing the wrong thing.

#21 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

This is one of the most ill informed and useless threads I've seen in a while. Maybe an explanation of how the Republicans are compromising to get a deal done would be in order.

And by that I don't mean "Republicans compromising with other Republicans".

#22 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,988 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

It's only in the news this time because nobody's ever held it hostage before. (to my knowledge)

We're dipping into federal pension funds just to make our interest payments and closer than ever to default, because republicans refuse to raise it. Hostage situation is the best term I can use to describe it.

#23 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Democrats will not agree to anything that has no tax increase. Republicans will not offer anything that increases taxes.

#24 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

By the way, does anyone actually buy into the phrase "spending in the form of tax cuts" ? Really?

#25 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

http://swampland.tim...bate/?hpt=hp_t2

Still True Today: Frequently Forgotten Facts of the Debt Debate

Read more: http://swampland.tim.../#ixzz1TPQJLMMu

If the debt-limit debate had anything to do with reality, every story about it would include a few basic facts. Starting with: President Obama inherited a $1.2 trillion budget deficit. And: Republican leaders supported the tax cuts and wars that (along with the recession, another pre-Obama phenomenon) created that deficit. Also: Republicans engineered this crisis by attaching unprecedented ideological demands to a routine measure allowing the U.S. to pay its bills. Finally, Obama and the Democrats keep meeting those demands—for spending cuts, then for more spending cuts, and even for nothing but spending cuts—but Republicans keep holding out for more.

These are verifiable facts, not opinions. But since they aren’t new facts, and re-reporting them would make “GOP claims” about the crisis look, um, non-factual, they’re rarely mentioned, except as “Democratic claims.” This is a real problem for journalism in an era where—now this is an opinion—one of the major parties has abandoned its grip on reality. I understand why objective reporters aren’t encouraged to contradict political lies with historical truths, but this hostage drama is one of the prices of our era of amnesia.

Look, staying in opinion-land, I think this particular hostage drama could conceivably drive budget policy in a good direction. I’d love to see big cuts in spending on agriculture, housing and the military. We do need to restrain long-term Medicare and Medicaid costs, although there are better and worse ways to do that. There’s still a chance to eliminate ludicrous tax breaks for ethanol producers, private jet owners and hedge fund managers, maybe paired with an economy-boosting payroll tax cut to help Republicans honor their no-new-taxes pledges.

(MORE: As GOP Debt Plan Faces House Vote, Compromise Brews Behind the Scenes)

In other words, it’s at least possible that this crisis the Republicans created could have a beneficial effect. It’s also possible that this crisis the Republicans created could cripple the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, plunge the economy back into recession, and increase borrowing costs for just about everyone. But whatever happens, Republicans created this crisis. They blew up the debt. They refused to raise the debt ceiling without conditions. And because of their internal divisions, they can’t even decide what those conditions should be. They initially demanded a breakdown of 85% spending cuts and 15% revenue increases, before deciding the deal had to be 100% spending cuts. Some initially praised the bipartisan Gang of Six plan—until Obama endorsed it. Now Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has a proposal for 100% spending cuts, all of which Republicans had already endorsed –until, of course, Reid proposed them.

I’ve made some of these points before. More than once, I suppose. But they seem quite relevant to the back-and-forth over the debt ceiling, which goes on every day even though those points don’t get repeated every day.

(MORE: With Debt Vote Looming, House GOP Tries to Repair Its Fractured Coalition)

I remember back when I was at The Washington Post, a guy named Matt Miller (unsuccessfully) pitched my boss about running a daily front-page feature called “Still True Today,” to inform readers about important facts that didn’t happen to be newsworthy that day. Miller’s plan wouldn’t really address the problem of a major political party creating its own fact-free reality. And I don’t know how many minds would be changed by constant reminders that President Clinton left behind a substantial surplus, that President Bush vaporized it into a gigantic deficit, that President Obama’s health care reforms will actually reduce the deficit.

But it does seem to be worth pointing out that those facts are still true today. Not that they seem to matter.

#26 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

LOL @ Michael Grunwald. Ultra libby. Now you need to gat a look at Limbaugh for the way other side. LOL.

#27 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

He clearly stated facts, then opinions. Care to tell me what he's incorrect about, or will you just continue your blathering and cute LOLs?

#28 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Obama inherited the 800 billion dollar stimulus plan too

#29 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. We already know that, because it's held up (with health care reform) by the Republicans as seemingly the only things that have happened, spending wise, to create debt.

#30 jim stone

jim stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

He clearly stated facts, then opinions. Care to tell me what he's incorrect about, or will you just continue your blathering and cute LOLs?

Sucks obami's dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com