Photo
- - - - -

Who is better than Steve Smith in his prime?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just to strike conversation.... of all your years watching football what WR do you think was or is arguably better than Steve Smith in his prime?

Also be sure to factor sup par QB play and virtually no WR help for most of Smith's career.

The only one I could think of would maybe be Moss, just out of his shear prototypical talent.. But he doesn't have fire and heart of Steve Smith. Of course there is always Jerry Rice, but he also played with one of the greatest QB's of all time.

#2 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Nobody.

#3 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

Steve Smith

#4 hank pimple butt

hank pimple butt

HALUKEN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationIn your pants USA

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

I honestly cant think of one. In 05 he dominated w/no other receiving threat,and virtually no running game .

#5 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hard to say since so much depends on how a player is utilized in his prime. Steve Smith at his best is a highlight reel, but I would be hardpressed to say that he is better than Jerry Rice. But Jerry Rice had an offense that was perfectly designed for what he did best.

Today, Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as probably the best in the league.

#6 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hard to beat.

#7 DevilCat

DevilCat

Two States One Team

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

As I've said a few times before. I'm a pretty old guy compared to most who post here. (I remember the NFL-AFL merger, remember when the Steelers were a laughing stock, and remember watching my first Super Bowl-Dallas vs. Baltimore-Colts). Okay, all that to say this I've never seen any WR with the heart and fire of Smitty. But then again I'm a homer.

#8 ThePantherDude

ThePantherDude

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

I love Steve Smith but I would take these guys over Smith (if both WRs were in their prime)

Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Randy Moss
Jerry Rice

but other than those 4 no one imo. Smith is still a Top 10 WR imo, he just needs a QB that can throw the ball near him.

#9 DevilCat

DevilCat

Two States One Team

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

If anyone remembers that opener a few seasons ago vs. Houston (a loss). Smith made that amazing breakout when the (nearly) entire Texan "D" jumped on him after a catch. To me that's classic Smitty!

#10 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Not going to say he's the greatest ever or anything, but in his prime he absolutely wreaked havoc on the NFL, defenses legitimately feared this man... How many 5ft 9 receivers can say they made such an impact?? One of a kind.

Edited by Jrock88, 30 July 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#11 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Randy Moss in his prime.

T.O. in his prime.

Jerry Rice.

#12 xlatinox

xlatinox

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

If anyone remembers that opener a few seasons ago vs. Houston (a loss). Smith made that amazing breakout when the (nearly) entire Texan "D" jumped on him after a catch. To me that's classic Smitty!

I still remember that play.

was so epic him just crouching and then bam..... hes out and running lol

#13 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I love Steve Smith but I would take these guys over Smith (if both WRs were in their prime)

Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Randy Moss
Jerry Rice

but other than those 4 no one imo. Smith is still a Top 10 WR imo, he just needs a QB that can throw the ball near him.

You gotta remember, smith is 6 inches shorter than all those dudes at least. Imagine smitty was 6ft.3"! He would have been such a greater impact.

#14 eViL jEsTeR

eViL jEsTeR

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Just to strike conversation.... of all your years watching football what WR do you think was or is arguably better than Steve Smith in his prime?

Also be sure to factor sup par QB play and virtually no WR help for most of Smith's career.

The only one I could think of would maybe be Moss, just out of his shear prototypical talent.. But he doesn't have fire and heart of Steve Smith. Of course there is always Jerry Rice, but he also played with one of the greatest QB's of all time.

moss, fitz, calvin and andre come to mind. other than that, i'd rate smith 5th among active WR's each ranked in their "prime".

all time? heck, there are a number of them. of course that rice guy was the best of them all.

#15 haccess

haccess

Bread Loaf

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Steve Smith has made so many highlight-worthy plays that it's insane. Think back to all the times he's thrown would-be tacklers into the dirt. If you want highlights, take Smith. If you want numbers take Rice. Come to think of it I don't know that the NFL has had any truly legendary players that make the whole country want to watch (think MJ -- Jordan or Jackson in their prime both qualify, take your pick). Is Barry Sanders the closest the NFL's come to that status or am I forgetting someone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com