Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is better than Steve Smith in his prime?

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Just to strike conversation.... of all your years watching football what WR do you think was or is arguably better than Steve Smith in his prime?

Also be sure to factor sup par QB play and virtually no WR help for most of Smith's career.

The only one I could think of would maybe be Moss, just out of his shear prototypical talent.. But he doesn't have fire and heart of Steve Smith. Of course there is always Jerry Rice, but he also played with one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Posted

Nobody.

Posted

Steve Smith

Posted

I honestly cant think of one. In 05 he dominated w/no other receiving threat,and virtually no running game .

Posted

Hard to say since so much depends on how a player is utilized in his prime. Steve Smith at his best is a highlight reel, but I would be hardpressed to say that he is better than Jerry Rice. But Jerry Rice had an offense that was perfectly designed for what he did best.

Today, Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as probably the best in the league.

Posted

Hard to beat.

Posted

As I've said a few times before. I'm a pretty old guy compared to most who post here. (I remember the NFL-AFL merger, remember when the Steelers were a laughing stock, and remember watching my first Super Bowl-Dallas vs. Baltimore-Colts). Okay, all that to say this I've never seen any WR with the heart and fire of Smitty. But then again I'm a homer.

Posted

I love Steve Smith but I would take these guys over Smith (if both WRs were in their prime)

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Randy Moss

Jerry Rice

but other than those 4 no one imo. Smith is still a Top 10 WR imo, he just needs a QB that can throw the ball near him.

Posted

If anyone remembers that opener a few seasons ago vs. Houston (a loss). Smith made that amazing breakout when the (nearly) entire Texan "D" jumped on him after a catch. To me that's classic Smitty!

Posted

Not going to say he's the greatest ever or anything, but in his prime he absolutely wreaked havoc on the NFL, defenses legitimately feared this man... How many 5ft 9 receivers can say they made such an impact?? One of a kind.

Posted

Randy Moss in his prime.

T.O. in his prime.

Jerry Rice.

Posted

If anyone remembers that opener a few seasons ago vs. Houston (a loss). Smith made that amazing breakout when the (nearly) entire Texan "D" jumped on him after a catch. To me that's classic Smitty!

I still remember that play.

was so epic him just crouching and then bam..... hes out and running lol