Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squirrel

We Could go to the playoffs

72 posts in this topic

Well guys, Jake is still on the market.

Throw him to the wolves and lets see what the kid can do, the rams did it with Bradford, and while he didn't have a miraculous rookie season he played solid and showed flashes but rest assured he learned by getting out there and playing. Not standing on the sidelines.

Sam Bradford > Cam Newton. Honestly, what are you going on about? Do you not think that Bradford could have developed into a better QB, having the ability to seek on-the-field advice if the Rams kept around Burgler, thus growing as a better QB much faster? Just because the Rams took the risk, and it payed off, does not mean that when we do we'll get the same results.

And I don't want to hear the Rodgers and Rivers sat nonsense. No one can sit there and say they wouldn't have been great QB's if they started right away, thats just the way things unfolded.

Then let's look at Ryan Leaf, during the 1998 draft he was considered one best players to pick, and was often the topic of debate on whether to pick Leaf or Manning. We all know of the ultimate fall of Leaf, and how disappointing it was to many people.

Who is to say that if Leaf had a QB to develop behind of that he would have become a QB up to the quality of Manning, or around there. I am personally in favor of having an older QB available to help mentor the younger, future QB of the team.

edit: Not to mention we have a better supporting cast for Newton than the Rams had in place for Bradford, so if the kid has the talent to warrant the number one overall selection, he'll be able to prove that now, not in a year or 2 from now.

My points above pretty much sum up what I would say here.

Neg rep!

agreed but it's dependent on Orton and I'm not trading a 2nd rounder for a one year quarterback

Lol im crying. I'm just saying, Jake has a good thing going for being a mentor. He helped McCoy out a whole lot, McCoy even said it in multiple interviews. I wasn't trying to say for him to start. It's either gonna be Clausen or Newton day 1, no one else.

side note: you do know you have "Pike bandwagon" under your name, right? just saying.

I don't believe Jake is the answer, he hasn't proved to be a stable QB in the past couple years. Persuading the Bengals to do a cheap -- productive for their team -- trade for Carson Palmer would be ideal in my mind, although I don't see that happening. We could bring in Burgler for a second/third string QB, don't know many other veteran QB's out there. :\

Lol im crying. I'm just saying, Jake has a good thing going for being a mentor. He helped McCoy out a whole lot, McCoy even said it in multiple interviews. I wasn't trying to say for him to start. It's either gonna be Clausen or Newton day 1, no one else.

Let's Newton and Clausen get injured, would you trust the game in Jake's hands? I don't think that I could given his past performances.

I don't believe Jake is the answer, he hasn't proved to be a stable QB in the past couple years. Persuading the Bengals to do a cheap -- productive for their team -- trade for Carson Palmer would be ideal in my mind, although I don't see that happening. We could bring in Burgler for a second/third string QB, don't know many other veteran QB's out there. :\

You know Carson Palmer is retiring, right?

Let's Newton and Clausen get injured, would you trust the game in Jake's hands? I don't think that I could given his past performances.

That's a big what if situation.

That post was about as stupid as your avatar, Kermit. The jury is still out on Bradford and Newton, you're talking as if they're both 10 years into their careers.

I'm not opposed to the idea of us signing a veteran quarterback to provide knowledge/guidance for Cam, I was simply saying standing on the sidelines watching said veteran isn't going to make Cam a better quarterback. Playing the game will.

Using your rationale, is sitting watching someone play checkers going to make you a better checkers player, versus actually experiencing the game, the ins the outs, what to do in given scenarios. A juvenile analogy, I know, but I'm trying to stoop to your level so that you might understand.

Go watch another muppets episode, football clearly is above your head.

You know Carson Palmer is retiring, right?

It seems that he is, however that is because he hasn't been released of his contract or he hasn't been traded away.

That's a big what if situation.

Getting Palmer? Yes, I know, I doubt it would happen. However getting a veteran QB -- that can play decently if needed -- is needed in my eyes.

The "what if" situation I was talking about you saying what if Jimmy and Cam got hurt.