Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera's one-word response as to how Cam has performed: "Wow"

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Ron Rivera had a one-word response when asked for his early impressions of Cam Newton.

"Wow," Rivera said.

The Panthers have only had two padded practices at training camp. And Newton still is working with the second team behind Jimmy Clausen.

But the No. 1 overall pick clearly has out-performed Clausen in Newton's first NFL training camp.

"I mean, he does some things that really light you up and get you excited -- as Jimmy did," Rivera said today. "Jimmy made some good throws and some good decisions. But when you look at what Cam does, some of those things. His running ability is special. That's one of the things he brings to the table."

More at link.

Posted

That's actually kind of surprising to see Rivera come out and say Cam was that much more exciting than Clausen...I mean, I saw it myself yesterday, but that's interesting.

My doubts about Cam starting against Arizona are dwindling fast.

Posted

That's actually kind of surprising to see Rivera come out and say Cam was that much more exciting than Clausen...I mean, I saw it myself yesterday, but that's interesting.

My doubts about Cam starting against Arizona are dwindling fast.

It will all be sorted out in the preseason.

Posted

I like how Rivera is not afraid to say what he thinks!! No BS just truth!!

Posted

and before the idiots pile into this thread with unmitigated negativity, this is one of the best defensive coaches in the last ten years saying this so shut your fuging faces

4 people like this

Posted

So refreshing after Fox.

2 people like this

Posted

I think that he's just stating the obvious.

Posted

and before the idiots pile into this thread with unmitigated negativity, this is one of the best defensive coaches in the last ten years saying this so shut your fuging faces

That and, didn't he see Rivers last season in TC? It's not like the only qbs he has to compare Newton to are Clausen and Pike.

Posted

So refreshing after Fox.

This, more than anything, makes it good to hear.

Posted

I think the good thing about Rivera is that he's so calm and firm that it comes out not sounding personal at all. But still damn I hope Jimmy has a good career somewhere else because this has been brutal on his confidence lol.

Posted

We just have to wait for those lights to come on, then we'll see who's ready and who isn't. But this is a good change of attitude from fox dealing with QB battles.

Posted

Wait you mean that you guys are really understanding that Cam will start week one?

Better late than never I suppose. I thought that was a foregone conclusion on Draft day...

Some people are slower than others though.