Photo
- - - - -

(Last Year) How ignoring the wide receiver position could doom the Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,290 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Personally I think WR is pretty set right now. It is going to hard for everyone to get a ton of catches right now. If Smitty gets 30%, the TEs get 20%, and the running backs get 20%, that leaves 30% for everyone else on the team. If we throw 35 times a game that leaves 10 attempts total for all the WRs not named Steve Smith.

just a little educated(?) guessing going on here, but here's some thoughts on how the passing offense could look this year...esp. if newton starts from day 1.

i could see us throwing the ball between 450-500 times this year. that seems like a pretty reasonable amount considering we will be using a rookie QB. bulk of the offense early on will be running the ball. call it 475 passing attempts.
cam will likely have a completion % around 55%. pretty fair, imo. actually i think that number is pretty low, but i'll use it anyway.
that means somewhere around 260 completions. we'll say about 30 passes a game and 17 receptions.

i can see the break down going like this:
smitty- 5/game
olsen/shockey/barney- 6/game
other WRs- 3/game
RBs- 3/game

for the moment it is pretty crowded. i figure inmost passing situations we'll have at least 3 and most likely 4 targets out there. don't think there will be enough balls going around to warrant or justify going out and picking up another WR. at any rate, i actually think we can do pretty well with the receiving options we have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com