Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Charlotte ever host a Super Bowl?

39 posts in this topic

Posted

90% of the NASCAR fans camp. I don't see the SuperBowl types camping.

Posted

I say perceived because Charlotte does host NASCAR events at LMS and last I checked it can host well over twice what BoA can.

I tend to think that's just a lame excuse that the NFL uses for us because Charlotte isn't really a cold weather town but clearly isn't a warm weather location either.

Nascar and the Super Bowl are two totally different animals.

I would say a good percentage of those attending a race would have little to no problems what-so-ever sleeping in a Motel 6 while people traveling cross country to shell out $1000's on tickets might be a little miffed if their concierge was behind bulletproof glass.

Also, there is a prescribed average temp for outdoor venues (50 degrees) that Charlotte also doesn't meet. The NFL needs no excuse.

Posted

Since Charlotte was battling with other cities for the team, the league didn't have to black mail them for a new stadium with the promise of future Super Bowl (s).

Posted

reasons for no. 1. no dome 2. possible bad weather 3. smaller city than NO, MIA, MIN, PHX, and now DAL is in the mix with the new stadium

Posted

CEOs love motel 6

Posted

Negative

Posted

But they put the Superbowl in Detroit? are you kidding me, what does Detroit have to offer? The chance of getting robbed and shot? I guess thats more appealing then a 30 degree game.. makes no sense to me, and then they want to put the Superbowl in London by 2013? All it does is rain there... Raymond James Stadium is one of the smallest venues, we deserve a superbowl, Charlotte is one of the biggest cities, its bigger then Tampa...

Posted

50 degrees average or a dome.

It's really quite simple.

Why do so many people get all defensive about Charlotte?

Posted

Search the cities that host the SB.

You will find convention centers, the Ritz Carlton, the Four Seasons, etc.

I hear that Charlotte is putting in a Ritz Carlton in 2009, so maybe an effort is being made to go for it.

Believe me, I'd rather drop money to go to Charlotte than Jax, for example, but you really have to take a step back and make a judgment based on bidness, not with your heart.

It is about the money, and as crappy as Detroit is, it still is a business (though a failing one) center and has all the above mentioned hotels of a high-end nature that the corporate types enjoy.

Posted

Looks like it's time to upgrade BOA stadium to a retractable roof, and start building some new facilities! :out: