Photo
- - - - -

JR Addresses Accusations of Being Cheap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#1 boo7382

boo7382

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

Top cat Jerry Richardson pays visit to Panthers' camp

http://www.goupstate...xW=445&border=0

Carolina Panthers owner/founder Jerry Richardson took a brief respite from answering questions Wednesday at training camp by directing his own inquiry at anyone who had negatively wondered about his financial commitment to the franchise.

“Does anybody feel just a little bad about calling me cheap last year, just a smidgen?” Richardson asked following NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s fan forum.

“The facts are we did exactly what we said we were going to do,” Richardson said. “What really precipitated this is we hadn’t had back-to-back winning seasons and what we were doing wasn’t working. We wanted to attempt to go young and draft our own players and we kept every one of our core players which is remarkable to me. I would have assumed some percentage of them would have gone somewhere else.”

Veteran tackle Jordan Gross was vacationing in the Wyoming mountains with little to no cell phone reception and whenever he’d get a glimmer of a signal, the waiting messages continued to bring good news.

“It was exciting because every time I turned on my phone I was getting a new text about a new deal, another player re-signing. It was great to see that commitment.”

The spending spree and organizational overhaul came of no surprise to Gross, who had personally called Richardson in December with a few games remaining last season to inquire about future plans and what the owner had in store to help rejuvenate the franchise.

“I asked if I could talk with him and what the plan was because it was kind of a doom and gloom time in the Panthers organization,” Gross said. “He told me we were going to hire a defensive (head) coach, get an attacking offensive coordinator, a great quarterbacks coach and were going to draft a quarterback with our top pick and then be aggressive in free agency.

“So I had faith in it and it happened just the way he said. He told me that in private, and I didn’t tell anybody because he trusted me with that information. Now I’m singing his praises because he had a plan. That gives me a lot of faith and makes me feel comfortable in the direction we’re headed. It’s what he wanted to do the whole time.”

Mac on WFNZ this morning discussing whether or not the fans that were bitching owe him an apology.

What say you?

http://www.goupstate...o-Panthers-camp

#2 countryboi

countryboi

HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

so JR you admit you were cheap as hell last year?

#3 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

No JR, I do not feel bad for calling you cheap LAST YEAR..

#4 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Why doesn't he apologize for taking my PSl money and pocketing it while putting a horrible product on the field. Honestly he should be the one apologizing. And for the record, he was cheap last year.

#5 boo7382

boo7382

HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Why doesn't he apologize for taking my PSl money and pocketing it while putting a horrible product on the field. Honestly he should be the one apologizing. And for the record, he was cheap last year.

I just heard a little bit of the interview on WFNZ. He said that he wanted to get to the point where we can have back to back winning seasons unlike past years.

what would you say if we had a winning season this year and next? maybe even playoffs? still think it wouldn't be worth it?

#6 jherald

jherald

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Come on guys! JR has SWAG now! Just check out the way that he sports a gangsta lean when he's pimping in the Panthers Golf Cart with his Bojangles cup.

#7 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

I just heard a little bit of the interview on WFNZ. He said that he wanted to get to the point where we can have back to back winning seasons unlike past years.

what would you say if we had a winning season this year and next? maybe even playoffs? still think it wouldn't be worth it?

Yup, it was a master stroke if you ask me. By going about it the way he did, yeah it hurt, but it might have saved 4-5 years of floundering. Now if all the correct moves have been made and we are as aggressive next off-season, we might be back in the playoffs next year. (maybe this year ;) )

Jeanyus!!

#8 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

I love when PSL owners bitch about losing.

You aren't buying wins people, you are buying a chance to watch the team play.

#9 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

no apologies. just move forward and put that miserable season behind us.

pretty cool that JR called it like he did and gave gross a heads up. would have been hard to keep that under wraps.

#10 countryboi

countryboi

HUDDLER

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

no apologies. just move forward and put that miserable season behind us.

pretty cool that JR called it like he did and gave gross a heads up. would have been hard to keep that under wraps.

last season will always stay in the back of my mind like a bad nightmare :willy_nilly: