Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doc Holiday

What if economic calamity actually hits?

58 posts in this topic

I've read One Second After three times. I will own all you.

1 person likes this

Being able to grow a handful of tomato plants does not qualify one to "live off the land."

And as far as hunting, it's a bit easier to do if the woods are teeming with deer due to careful forest management and a limited number of sport hunters that can only take home so many carcasses. Send everyone that can carry a rifle into the woods to find the only food they can, and it'll be hunted down to nothing in no time at all.

correct, but with that said fishing, is a pretty easy and consistent food supply, while fish like bass can be a little harder to come by other fish, like Brim, blue gill, perch and cat fish are not only very plentiful but also fairly easy to catch. even fish that are not often gone after like Gar and Carp while may not taste the best are still eatable.

find the right location and you could fish year around, catch more then you need and you could trade with for other things.

also as a note, while I do have a girl friend I am not married and have no kids so I do not have any commitments to anyone other then myself.

also deer aren't the only thing tat are eatable, there is also squirrel, rabbit, duck, goose.

when it comes to food I think it wouldn't be too hard, as far as shelter, not hard either, already have 2 tents and a mass of camping gear that I would use until I could build a more stable shelter like a log cabin. believe it or not I've actually put a lot of thought into where exactly I would go and why, but I won't tell you suckers that because then you would be crowding my space:cool:

you have to be a few moves ahead of the horde. 2 years the #'s of people that will off themselves or others would be staggering just from panic, greed or survival.

i always say this and it seems counterintuitive but think about it. tree climbing. a good ole fashioned tree house in the bush somewhere might be what saves ya.

Chainsaw to treehouse creates firewood.

Write yourself a check for $500K and go cash it.

Chainsaw to treehouse creates firewood.
but you wouldn't be able to afford the gas so your screwed

ya gotta factor human behavior doc. sure, there will be plenty of land, water and places to hunt and fish.

but it's not like that will be Shangri La. EVERYBODY will go to the sources of survival.

I have planned junk out 15 years in advance. Yes, I said 15 years. I have charted reactions, timelines for population and migration. factored in military installations and even did some assumptions for civil unrest. you can use cdc models for disease but that wild card is so far off, not much you can do.

its not perfect but i have made calculations of where pockets of decent living can occur. if you can make it to each at optimum times, you might be able to make it.

oh and the macro nerd freakonomics guy in me keeps thinking of unintended consequences.

my advice on this stuff is stay low, look ahead and don't assume you can live for a week on your own. that way you wont be blindsided.

1 person likes this

correct, but with that said fishing, is a pretty easy and consistent food supply, while fish like bass can be a little harder to come by other fish, like Brim, blue gill, perch and cat fish are not only very plentiful but also fairly easy to catch. even fish that are not often gone after like Gar and Carp while may not taste the best are still eatable.

find the right location and you could fish year around, catch more then you need and you could trade with for other things.

also as a note, while I do have a girl friend I am not married and have no kids so I do not have any commitments to anyone other then myself.

also deer aren't the only thing tat are eatable, there is also squirrel, rabbit, duck, goose.

when it comes to food I think it wouldn't be too hard, as far as shelter, not hard either, already have 2 tents and a mass of camping gear that I would use until I could build a more stable shelter like a log cabin. believe it or not I've actually put a lot of thought into where exactly I would go and why, but I won't tell you suckers that because then you would be crowding my space:cool:

Per 20 acres you might be lucky to have 1 deer, 20 squirrels and 5-10 rabbits. Dont know if you ever ate squirrel but the meat content on them wouldnt last a week. Deer you could live off for about a month if thats all you ate.

You also have to look at we are going into winter. Good luck growing any vegetables.

You could live off a deer for a month if you had a way to preserve it.

You could live off a deer for a month if you had a way to preserve it.

Smoked deer will last you but you can can it (mason jars water and salt) and it will last longer.

I hunt and fish close to my house, we have a giant deer stand which i imagine i could convert into a living space with the use of a tent. guns and ammo are also not an issue.