Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doc Holiday

What if economic calamity actually hits?

58 posts in this topic

Are we talking economic meltdown or total societal collapse?

I don't think the two are exactly the same.

ie Great Depression vs. Road Warrior

I think I can make it through the GD. RW I might just have a Gin and Tonic and save the last bullet for myself, hoping it happens when I'm really damn old and don't have to defend the family, in that case I guess I should purchase the silo home in the West.

I could make it thru a GD too. Instead of a G&T my "out" list is a handful of shrooms, a fifth of bourbon, and a big blunt. :D

I'd head North to Canada and go live with Hawk. If need be, I would eat him. That's as far as I've thought out.

I was a boyscout for 4 years so I am obviously qualified to live off the land. But in all seriousness while everyone else who thinks they are qualified to live off the land is busy breaking their backs from work or dying, I would be raiding my buddys gun shop and arm myself for defense, looting purposes, and raiding. Some Mad Max poo. See how fast society degenerates.

Situations like this never really bothered me before, but now that I have a wife and child to protect it scares the hell out of me.

Situations like this never really bothered me before, but now that I have a wife and child to protect it scares the hell out of me.

Yep.

I'd be very sad if my kids had to grow up in a crappy situation, and I'd be very upset if my wife had to live any way but like a queen.

I don't much give a damn about myself. I'm pretty happy with very simple things, and seem to always land on my feet when times get rough.

I was a boyscout for 4 years so I am obviously qualified to live off the land. But in all seriousness while everyone else who thinks they are qualified to live off the land is busy breaking their backs from work or dying, I would be raiding my buddys gun shop and arm myself for defense, looting purposes, and raiding. Some Mad Max poo. See how fast society degenerates.

For the record I have never been in the boy scouts or any like wise organization, one of my friends was a eagle scout and I refuse to go camping with him anymore, because he knows everything there is to know about camping and I don't because he was a boy scout, and I wasn't.....

boy scouts annoy the hell out of me.

Yup, thats why I quit, that the and the leader was a dousche who thought being group leader made him king of the world.

I'm sure I could survive much longer then my eagle scout friends, well because they are mostly nerdy and weak. Who cares that you know how to weave a basket, I can fully use a compass, start a fire, and make shelter just as well as them.

those that can live off the land will. Until they become targets of those who cannot.

That is when the true chaos will start. There are lots of things that can be overlooked morally in the name of survival and a few loonies with an ax to grind will surely push the boundaries.

The 2nd amendment is your gun permit. Established 1791, expires..never. I anticipate more like what happened in Wisconsin on Sunday night on the first night of their state fair. It was buried by national media but there is plenty on youtube.

to get you started

The two most important things would be:

Friends and Firepower

If you have those two, you can probably make it for quite a while.

Don't know if any of you have every seen the show extreme couponing, but me and the missus did that for non-perishable food for a little while. I have shelves in my garage and have literally close to 1,000 top ramens, spam, more tuna then i know what to do with, and actually have several MRE buckets from costco. Mix that with fruit and veggie seeds and ammunition, and I think we'll be ok. And it's funny whoever said they got tobacco for trade, I don't even smoke and have a huge unopened can of Bugler for just such an occassion!

You are all insane and watch way too many movies.

But if it does happen, please don't eat me.

2 people like this

ok, so lets say hypothetically the poo hits the fan and we get the great depression 2.

what would you do then?

as for my self I've always wanted to live as a early american pioneer, so I would either go out to eastern or wester NC and live off the land.

Even during the Great Depression, 75% of the people kept their jobs. My plan is to be one of that 75%.

But if worse comes to worse, my wife grew up dirt poor in the philippines. She knows how to do a lot of living off the land, growing all kinds of stuff. :)