Photo
- - - - -

What if economic calamity actually hits?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Don't know if any of you have every seen the show extreme couponing, but me and the missus did that for non-perishable food for a little while. I have shelves in my garage and have literally close to 1,000 top ramens, spam, more tuna then i know what to do with, and actually have several MRE buckets from costco. Mix that with fruit and veggie seeds and ammunition, and I think we'll be ok. And it's funny whoever said they got tobacco for trade, I don't even smoke and have a huge unopened can of Bugler for just such an occassion!

#47 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

You are all insane and watch way too many movies.

But if it does happen, please don't eat me.

#48 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

ok, so lets say hypothetically the poo hits the fan and we get the great depression 2.

what would you do then?

as for my self I've always wanted to live as a early american pioneer, so I would either go out to eastern or wester NC and live off the land.

Even during the Great Depression, 75% of the people kept their jobs. My plan is to be one of that 75%.

But if worse comes to worse, my wife grew up dirt poor in the philippines. She knows how to do a lot of living off the land, growing all kinds of stuff. :)

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 09 August 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#49 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

ok, so lets say hypothetically the poo hits the fan and we get the great depression 2.

what would you do then?

as for my self I've always wanted to live as a early american pioneer, so I would either go out to eastern or wester NC and live off the land.

You kind of make it sound like a game. You won't have any money. You won't be able to obtain anything unless you grow it. You would be screwed considering the times we are living in (unless you're already a farmer).

Send everyone that can carry a rifle into the woods to find the only food they can, and it'll be hunted down to nothing in no time at all.

People would die, quick.

I don't believe that would be an issue due to the fact that while a lot of americans would be out of work the Government will never have to drop essential personnel like power plant workers police and fire ect, the US can always print money if they had to but, unless someone started dropping bombs on us I don't think you would need to worry about contaminated food.

as before mentioned let's say I'm experienced, at least I believe enough to live off the land if I had to, but with that said I don't believe I started this topic with "do you think I could make it?" as the question, it was what would you do?

You really have no idea, do you?

I have planned junk out 15 years in advance. Yes, I said 15 years. [...stuff...]

You're a weird and creepy man.

Edited by Dock, 09 August 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#50 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

I'd head North to Canada and go live with Hawk. If need be, I would eat him.

That sounds like what you usually do. What's different?

That's as far as I've thought out.

Also the usual...

Joking!

#51 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,293 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

You kind of make it sound like a game. You won't have any money. You won't be able to obtain anything unless you grow it. You would be screwed considering the times we are living in (unless you're already a farmer).

People would die, quick.

says the multiple quoter in a message board guy

#52 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

People would die, quick.

if you read my other posts you will see that I went more into detail a little bit and actually have a plan of action, my plan would work if I don't have money, not exactly like I have a lot anyway.

#53 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

I think (hope) I would die or kill myself before perpetrating violence on someone else or stealing another's property. But again, having a family to protect throws a wrench into those plans.

#54 Carolina Mike II

Carolina Mike II

Was Just Carolina Mike!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

This actually depends on a lot of factors that we would not truly know until it actually happened. What time of year? (Summer/Winter) What time? (Day/Night) Where would you be when it actually happened? (ideal location already or on a trip/out of town situation) We all want to assume we would be "in the know" or in the "perfect spot to react" to the "Breaking News" of the SHTF, but the truth is more than likely you (& I) are not going to be in the perfect situation as the SHTF.

As for those claiming Power, Police, Fire Departments, Military, 75% still holding their job and being able to trade goods (in the short term)........ Your SHTF & mine are way off!

Bonus: Not being able to play an X-BOX or use twitter is NOT a calamity... NOT doing those will more than likely help you without a calamity anyway.....just saying :D

#55 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

I think (hope) I would die or kill myself before perpetrating violence on someone else or stealing another's property. But again, having a family to protect throws a wrench into those plans.

I will eat your avatar 1st.

#56 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

I will raid the drug stores 1st, I need my meds.

#57 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm an economic development consultant so I'd just keep cashing the checks. (just like the last four years). Sorry folks.

#58 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

hit the pharmacy and smoke shop first thang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.