Photo
- - - - -

Did You Actually Want Cam Drafted?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#205 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Expecting Luck to be the next Peyton Manning is a reasonable expectation?
If expecting a guy to be the one of the best ever is reasonable, I'm not sure I know what an unreasonable expectation is.

Any expectations for Manning to become Marino were unreasonable as well. Manning has obviously surpassed those expectations, but that doesn't make them reasonable. Expecting a college player (Luck or Tennessee era Manning) to become one of the best QBs of all time is not reasonable. Luck will probably be a very good NFL Qb, but how is the expectation of him becoming a first ballot hall of famer any where close to being reasonable?
Expecting extraordinary, everything has to go right, odds stacked against it kind of results is not reasonable.

As reasonable as it is to expect Newton to be the next Michael Vick (or Jamarcus Russell, depending on your perspective).

It's talent evaluation, and it happens on an annual basis. Some people are good at it. Some aren't. That's why some teams draft well and others don't.

If a kid in college has the same skill set, intelligence and work ethic as Player X had when he was in college, why would it be unreasonable for scouts to say he's the next Player X?

#206 smitty_89

smitty_89

Panther for Life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

I was sitting by the phone on draft night, but Matt Hurney didn't call to ask me whether I wanted him or not...I guess he trusted his own judgement.

#207 Tom

Tom

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

As reasonable as it is to expect Newton to be the next Michael Vick (or Jamarcus Russell, depending on your perspective).

It's talent evaluation, and it happens on an annual basis. Some people are good at it. Some aren't. That's why some teams draft well and others don't.

If a kid in college has the same skill set, intelligence and work ethic as Player X had when he was in college, why would it be unreasonable for scouts to say he's the next Player X?

I don't expect Newton to be either Vick or Russell. Not sure where you got that.

I understand talent evaluations, it's a projection. It's hard enough to know if a player is going to be a good NFL player, let alone a great one. The process has proven to be inexact at best. Saying "Player X is similar college player to Player Y, and because Player Y is successful, Player X will be as well" is not an unreasonable thing at all. That's the process.

But taking that a step further and expecting Player X to be the next Player Y when Player Y is perhaps the best ever, that is unreasonable. Saying he has the potential is one thing, but an expectation? Again, expecting extraordinary results is unreasonable when the talent evaluation process has proven to be so inexact.

#208 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

from very early on i had been saying that andrew luck was my first choice, but if not luck then newton.

from november 16th...

if we somehow don't pull off the #1 overall and/or don't get harbaugh as coach, sure i would go after newton. i'd probably be looking at a HC that would be more interested in just letting newton play and trust his instincts. the dude has mammoth potential in the league. he reminds me of big ben except mobile.

this was before there was the big ben comparison going around.

the next was from november 23 in a thread talking about who we would take if we missed out on the andrew luck sweepstakes.

cam newton. screw the controversy. the dude is incredible. he's a much more mobile big ben. i would say he's a combo of big ben and the oder version of mike vick.

luck is first choice. newton is second.

take a stud QB and build the team around him.

#209 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

I don't expect Newton to be either Vick or Russell. Not sure where you got that.

I understand talent evaluations, it's a projection. It's hard enough to know if a player is going to be a good NFL player, let alone a great one. The process has proven to be inexact at best. Saying "Player X is similar college player to Player Y, and because Player Y is successful, Player X will be as well" is not an unreasonable thing at all. That's the process.

But taking that a step further and expecting Player X to be the next Player Y when Player Y is perhaps the best ever, that is unreasonable. Saying he has the potential is one thing, but an expectation? Again, expecting extraordinary results is unreasonable when the talent evaluation process has proven to be so inexact.

Projection is part of the process. Heck, you could say it is the process.

#210 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

http://www.carolinah...with-rico6.html

This is around the time where I watched every Cam performance until the Bowl. I didn't even know who Andy Luck was until I started posting in the Panther section again.

#211 Tom

Tom

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Projection is part of the process. Heck, you could say it is the process.

Of course projection is part of the process. But not all projections are reasonable. Projecting Luck to be a successful NFL QB is reasonable. Projecting him to be one of the best ever is unreasonable.

#212 mtmitchell

mtmitchell

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

From the first time South Carolina played against Auburn last year.