Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A morality question.

206 posts in this topic

Posted

I think, from his arguments, that Jase just doesn't believe our (since I share it too) opinions of religious folks' absolution are accurate, or fair... He stated that he thinks that most religious people when backed into a corner would cave in and admit to simply having faith in the accuracies of their belief system...

I don't think that is accurate from our experiences so much so as it is from his... It is a fair argument, but it doesn't hold true to everyone...

Gotcha.

Of course they admit to it being based somewhat on faith (the amount will vary from person to person) but even when they admit that they still believe their religion is absolute truth. Faith is a virtue not a flaw in their belief system. (i'm sure not all are this way but the majority of debatorss, theologians, pastors that and I have heard do)

Posted

The difference is we don't hold those "opinions" as absolute truths. Where as their religious "opinions" are held as absolute truths.

What they are held as is of no consequence to the point.

As a third party observer would see it, you are applying an unfair standard.

Now quit trying to shoehorn this into an argument that I cannot win. I hate those. :cheers2:

Posted

Why does religion require critical thought? By definition, it exists outside the realm of it. Is there critical thinking behind what you favorite color is? Why you love your wife? Why you cheer for the panthers when there are clearly better teams out there? Why you like chicken nuggets when they are clearly not even food?

People should think critically about everything. I think we can agree that the majority of people do not do so about almost anything however.

Things like why you love your wife are actually very important to understand for a variety of reasons that I don't have the time to get into here.

Posted

Gotcha.

Of course they admit to it being based somewhat on faith (the amount will vary from person to person) but even when they admit that they still believe their religion is absolute truth. Faith is a virtue not a flaw in their belief system. (i'm sure not all are this way but the majority of debatorss, theologians, pastors that and I have heard do)

In my view the "faith clause" as I like to refer to the faith based argument eschewing the necessity of evidence and information is something that was invented by the powerful elite long ago to control the stupid masses. Not on topic but just a random thought I'd share.

Of course my view on this could change at any moment just throwing something out there for no real reason.

Posted

I have never seen a religious person disregard science anywhere close to the caricature that is painted by the internet agnostic.

orly

The theory of evolution is already being proved wrong and many smart atheist scientists are saying it doesnt hold water at all.
1 person likes this

Posted

sonofabitch

Posted

orly

And despite his significant indoctrination and brainwashing he isn't nearly as bad as some that you see on youtube or even worse, television.

Just poking fun Tattoo, I don't really think you are brainwashed but you do seem to be indoctrinated.

Posted

FTR, if I made a universal truth claim that chicken nuggets are the best I would back that up with verifiable proof ;) but u can't so I would make that claim.

Posted

And despite his significant indoctrination and brainwashing he isn't nearly as bad as some that you see on youtube or even worse, television.

Just poking fun Tattoo, I don't really think you are brainwashed but you do seem to be indoctrinated.

Yeah he's good people. His religion comes from a place of love, not the shrill "God WARRIOR!" type.

Still. Crazy.

Posted

Yeah he's good people. His religion comes from a place of love, not the shrill "God WARRIOR!" type.

Still. Crazy.

qft

Posted

Still looking for the evidence. And "more than one poster" does not a bunch make.

one

if we are nothing but DNA why do anything good? If our DNA is programed to only survive why not abort every child we know ids gonna be born with a defect? Why not molest children, murder, rape to make sure only the strong survive. Love and compassion isnt something that comes from DNA, it comes from a higher power that showed us what love was in the first place when he created this beautiful world. If you dont think evil exists then you havent looked into the eyes of a 3 year old in India who has been sold night after night for the last year for sex to men that come to the area just for that. Is that just our DNA that tells us its ok to do something like that?

so will you admit that some people here might think this?

Posted

Still. Crazy.

41575_72499707647_5510_n.jpg