40 replies to this topic

#16 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Godfrey takes a beating for no reason. He has been improving every year and last year probably played the best out of all our secondary (yes including gamble). However the prejudices when he was new continue to haunt him around here.

#17 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

i love hearing about Gaither's fire on the defense. this is something we've been missing for too long on that side of the ball

#18 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

I am glad to hear that Armanti is still doing well. It will be real interesting to see how he responds in a game after getting hit. Seems like he doesn't have the deer in the head lights look and that is a good thing.

#19 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

As much as I'm excited for what Cam is gonna bring to the table both this year and long-term...

I maybe even more excited about our defense. We already had talent but Fox didn't build a system that capitalized on what our guys do well. He forced them to do what his defense called for... I knew when we brought in Riv and then McD from Philly, our defense was gonna be aggressive, hard-nosed, and will dictate the offense, rather than let the offense dictate us.

I've been a huge fan of the Jim Johnson system FOREVER and put it up there with LeBeau's and Ryan's, any day.

I can't wait to see what our guys do, especially once we get Hardy back starting opposite CJ, with Norwood backing up. We're gonna be sending so many guys the offensive lines will just open up like Lindsay Lohan's nostrils at a coke snorting party.

SN: Followed some of the tweets, and I'm not too let down by Cam's poor showing tonight... It's expected that he'll have some huge highs and some low lows this season, but I expect the highs to be 10x better than the poor outings. BUT, good to hear Jimmy stepped up and actually threw it deep a little bit.

ASN: Tattoo, I thought by the title that you were about to deliver a sermon: "Notes from practice... TO - NIGHT - TAHHHH! *organ player*

Edited by Proudiddy, 10 August 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#20 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

i love hearing about Gaither's fire on the defense. this is something we've been missing for too long on that side of the ball

Not really, I can remember Stanley McClover doing the same thing. How did that turn out? I'm not interested in practice warriors, I'm more concerned with who performs when the lights are on, like Smitty said.

Oh and just an FYI, the best DT (Kris Jenkins) the panthers have ever had, sucked at practice.

#21 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,807 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

I love you too big guy. Miss ya at camp.

Don't know what your plans are, but I'm going to dope up and try my best to be there on Monday, should be a productive practice after the first preseason game. My number is the same, let me know if you're going. It would be great to see you again and clog some arteries at Jimmy John's or the Beacon.

#22 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,807 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Godfrey takes a beating for no reason. He has been improving every year and last year probably played the best out of all our secondary (yes including gamble). However the prejudices when he was new continue to haunt him around here.

I'm a Godfrey fan and all the critisism he gets kills me. He is out of position some, but this is his third year with his third different DC after leaving Iowa as a CB. He's a hard hitting, fast kid who, with the right system can be a stud at S for us, IMO.

#23 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Not really, I can remember Stanley McClover doing the same thing. How did that turn out? I'm not interested in practice warriors, I'm more concerned with who performs when the lights are on, like Smitty said.

Oh and just an FYI, the best DT (Kris Jenkins) the panthers have ever had, sucked at practice.

funny how it has nothing to do with being a beast in practice, but what this shows is that he's encouraging the people on that side of the ball who are making plays. That's not a practice thing.

#24 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,118 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

I love Panthers!

#25 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

I'm a Godfrey fan and all the critisism he gets kills me. He is out of position some, but this is his third year with his third different DC after leaving Iowa as a CB. He's a hard hitting, fast kid who, with the right system can be a stud at S for us, IMO.

He had a much better season than previous ones last year after the first few games. I'm confident about our starting safety tandem, and think they can be possibly one of the most dominant in the league soon.

I think looking back and analyzing some of the stats we've seen since last season, Godfrey may have been getting a bad wrap as a result of playing on the same side as Marshall, who gave up way too much behind him in the zones or just flat out got beat.

#26 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

:frown:

I am really hoping Gettis is gonna be ok.

On the flipside, I hope Jimmy makes the most of his PT on Saturday because the odds are stacked against him. Hate that people boo a kid who is only trying his best.

With that being said, I really hope this disorganized offense can get into the endzone...we all need a touchdown to talk about!

#27 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,807 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

He had a much better season than previous ones last year after the first few games. I'm confident about our starting safety tandem, and think they can be possibly one of the most dominant in the league soon.

I think looking back and analyzing some of the stats we've seen since last season, Godfrey may have been getting a bad wrap as a result of playing on the same side as Marshall, who gave up way too much behind him in the zones or just flat out got beat.

Yeah, and a lot of problems in the secondary last year were due to only having one Charles Johnson. It's a whole other ball game when QB's actually face pressure and can't just step up in the pocket, sip their fresh brewed tea and eventually throw the ball downfield. I really think Rivera and McDermott are going to bring the best out of our personnel. Though I expect an ugly, inconsistent year I can genuinely say this is the most excited I've ever been.

It could all be for naught, but I'm all in.

#28 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

funny how it has nothing to do with being a beast in practice, but what this shows is that he's encouraging the people on that side of the ball who are making plays. That's not a practice thing.

Yeah I guess you're right. The point I was trying to make though, is that I don't care for loud guys unless they can back it up in a game, but since he hasn't played a down for us yet, I'll just reserve all judgement.

Edited by Tarheels23, 11 August 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#29 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,807 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

Yeah I guess you're right. The point I was trying to make though, is that I don't care for loud guys unless they can back it up in a game, but since he hasn't played a down for us yet, I'll just reserve all judgement.

I agree to a point, but even bench warmers can serve as motivators.

#30 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

I maybe even more excited about our defense. We already had talent but Fox didn't build a system that capitalized on what our guys do well. He forced them to do what his defense called for... I knew when we brought in Riv and then McD from Philly, our defense was gonna be aggressive, hard-nosed, and will dictate the offense, rather than let the offense dictate us.

I've been a huge fan of the Jim Johnson system FOREVER and put it up there with LeBeau's and Ryan's, any day.

I am excited about the D also, but this attacking style of defense is going to result in a lot of big plays (both positive and negative). We're gonna get burned from time to time just as a result of the scheme.

One thing I am sure of...it's going to be a lot more fun to watch than the Turgo/Fox defenses.

Edited by Marguide, 11 August 2011 - 12:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com