Photo
- - - - -

Clinton gift gaffe to Russia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

They can't even get just ONE WORD translated correctly???

GENEVA—Secretary of State Hillary Clinton opened her first extended talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov by giving him a present meant to symbolize the Obama administration’s vow to “press the reset button” on U.S.-Russia relations.

She handed a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift: a red button on a black base with a Russian word peregruzka printed on top.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton asked.

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said.

Instead of "reset," Lavrov said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”

Clinton and Lavrov laughed.

“We won’t let you do that to us,” she said. Trying to recover, Clinton said the new administration was serious about improving relations with Moscow. “We mean it, and we’re looking forward to it.”

Lavrov said he would put the button on his desk and he and Clinton pushed the button together, before sitting down for their meeting.

A State Department official said the misspelling on the button was being corrected, in time for the post-meeting news conference.

#2 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I's seen a lot of change over the last hour here. Change in the way I sees you, and maybe change in the way you sees me. And I just want to say, if I can change....you can change....everybody can change!!!

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

I bet somebody got their ass chewed for that.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

overcharge... now that's funny right there.

#5 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

I's seen a lot of change over the last hour here. Change in the way I sees you, and maybe change in the way you sees me. And I just want to say, if I can change....you can change....everybody can change!!!

You tell'em Rock.

#6 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I hope whoever is intercepting Russian radio traffic can translate a bit better.

#7 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Ahhh yes. PL sure loves to link stuff.

$10 it's one of her right wing nutjob newssources.

#8 PowerlessDan

PowerlessDan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

hmmmm :skep:

#9 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Here is the same story from the Russian news agency.
http://www.en.rian.r.../120465370.html

#10 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

Oh yeh, "we will make the rest of the world like us again" not like that stupid Bush who has trouble with words.

#11 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

Why do all libs think dem scew-ups are some vast right wing conspiracy, spread through wingnut web sites? Here's a clue...DEMS SCREW UP! Somebody has to call them on it.

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

No one denied the screwup, cupcake. You will notice there was a dramatically different translation between your and PL's bookmarked nutjob newssource. A translation that was somehow, and this might shock some people, less politically charged.

I'm sure that websites got a GREAT reading list though.

#13 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Why do all libs think dem scew-ups are some vast right wing conspiracy, spread through wingnut web sites? Here's a clue...DEMS SCREW UP! Somebody has to call them on it.

Because their brains haven't developed yet. In 20 years, they will be conservatives. Think of them as green tomatoes.

#14 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

No one denied the screwup, cupcake. You will notice there was a dramatically different translation between your and PL's bookmarked nutjob newssource. A translation that was somehow, and this might shock some people, less politically charged.

I'm sure that websites got a GREAT reading list though.

There's nothing "politically charged" about the source I posted. It was fact, period. Boy ....

#15 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,503 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Come on Panther Lover, you know if it's not written by Huffington or vomited out by Olbermann, it's a right wing conspiracy. You know that! :mad2:

Liberalism...... Koom ba ya, peace to the world, Love thy brother, holier than thow, self loathing people until one of their weak kneed wack job liberal leaders makes a gaff. Then that bitter liberalism shows it's ugly head. And coincidentally, that ugly head looks a lot like Rachel Maddow.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com