Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stem cell funding ban to be lifted

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I know the story says it correctly, but your title implies there is a stem cell ban. There is not.

Posted

why not use them? It has the potential to cure many ailments. otherwise (as bas as it sounds) its trashed.

Posted

Yeah, I guess "funding" after "cell" should be in the title.

Posted

I thought it said stem cell fondue.

Posted

why not use them? It has the potential to cure many ailments. otherwise (as bas as it sounds) its trashed.

Because it would legitimize abortions.

Posted

I've got a simple, possibly dumb question. When multiple embryos are created during invitro and not all are implanted, what happens to the excess if the parents choose not to save them for the future? Do they have to sign a bunch of papers turning the rights of them over the clinic? What does the clinic do with them on average?

Posted

Well maybe not so much morally legit, but being legal, its already legitimized, wheter anyone likes it or not.

Posted

it has nothing to do with abortions. they are left over from in-vitro fertilizations. if they aren't used for research, they are thrown away.

Posted

I understand what this is about. My point was, then there would be people who would say, here is a whole other source for more.

Posted

it has nothing to do with abortions. they are left over from in-vitro fertilizations. if they aren't used for research, they are thrown away.

Would you advocate using the terminally ill for medical research that may hasten their deaths -- because, hey, they're gonna die anyway?

btw -- Clinton signed the bill forbidding federal funding for medical research involving the creation or destruction of human embryos. Bush was the one who lifted the ban for embryonic stem cell research, but only on the existing lines.

Posted

Would you advocate using the terminally ill for medical research that may hasten their deaths -- because, hey, they're gonna die anyway?

I'm still trying to figure out how that relates to rodeo's comment.:confused: