Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would anyone else feel comfortable with Anderson starting?

96 posts in this topic

Posted

What did he do last night to look any better than Jimmy or Cam?

He's here as a mentor, I'd prefer him to do that holding a clip board with one of the guys with an actual future taking the snaps.

Exactly.

Posted

He is the best third option in the NFL, but there is a reason he is the third option.

He really only made one great throw, and that was the smokescreen to Kealoha Pilares for the TD. He led Pilares perfectly, but then again any NFL quarterback should be able to make that throw.

Every other throw he had saw Charly Martin bailing his his ass out.

Posted

I think right now Anderson is the best of the three - hes probably had less reps with the rest of the team than either cam or JC and he still looked serviceable last night.

Posted

Perhaps DA should start. I flat out don't believe that either Jimmy or Cam is ready, quite yet after, what I saw lastnight. I think that they both have potential, but Cam, moreso. I just don't know if we should throw Cam out there to the wolves and "spoil" his development. People say that Jimmy's stock could go up, which is possible, but it could also go down if we let him start as well (not that it could go much lower). With the gutting of the season last year, there still may be some that think Pickles is salvageable as a genuine starter in the NFL, but Jimmy still slow as poo and holds onto the ball too long. Now, of course, with experience his ability to read the defense could speed up his delivery, but I don't know if he'll be anything more than a back-up in the NFL.

DA is tried and tested, and familiar with Chud's system. Chud did wonders with him before, maybe the two can catch lightning in a bottle again. This team is much more talented than that Browns team. The most important thing is that DA is expendable. He's a good lab rat that we can experiment on and put back in his cage when one of the youngsters is ready.

Some may think that we don't have a season to waste, but I don't think that the season will be wasted if we do things the right way, and not throw someone on the field who isn't ready and would benefit by watching a veteran. Now, this is not to say that Jimmy or Cam won't be ready in September or any time thereafter during this season. They can't hide behind DA forever.

All three of our guys probably have some potential, but Cam could be really special IF he can put it all together, and watching DA a while might not be a bad thing.

Posted

He didn't make a great throw, it's an elementary throw that Pilares took to the house. Jimmy's pass to Olsen, against starters, was far more impressive.

Posted

He didn't make a great throw, it's an elementary throw that Pilares took to the house. Jimmy's pass to Olsen, against starters, was far more impressive.

x2

Posted

No, cam and jimmy are only going to get better. The only way that will happen is by continuity playing. Anderson is a backup plain and simple.

Posted

He might be the best of the 3 right now.

He didn't exactly play against first string, though. I think Jimmy can hold it down but he isn't going to take us to the playoffs.

Posted

i would HATE it, first off, it doesnt help out Clausen and second, he hasnt shown me that he's the best of the three yet. Clausen threw a TD vs. the first team defense, Newton showed poise that i was shocked to see out of a first time NFL starter and Anderson played like himself. he had a TD that was on a short pass, but i wasnt a fan of a play where he almost threw a pick, but in my book, Clausen or Newton should start.

Posted

I figure they brought Anderson in because with the lockout the young guys basically have 4-5 weeks to learn the offense. It's likely not enough time to be ready for the regular season.

Look for Anderson to get a bit more work the next 3 weeks to see if he can be a placeholder for a while. If he starts the season and they do badly for 4-5 games, look for him to be relegated to the bench. If he starts the season and the team is winning, look at him to stay there 'til Jimmy or Cam look good enough to dislodge him from the position.

Posted

I figure they brought Anderson in because with the lockout the young guys basically have 4-5 weeks to learn the offense. It's likely not enough time to be ready for the regular season.

Look for Anderson to get a bit more work the next 3 weeks to see if he can be a placeholder for a while. If he starts the season and they do badly for 4-5 games, look for him to be relegated to the bench. If he starts the season and the team is winning, look at him to stay there 'til Jimmy or Cam look good enough to dislodge him from the position.

in my book he shouldnt start, he should be the 3rd guy who just teaches the young guys the offense.

Posted

I'd like to see him get a start in preseason