Photo
- - - - -

WFNZ: Warren Moon talks about Cam's debut, etc...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hodge sucks. A scrub rb/fb whos now a "qb guru" for ESPN. Lol.

#17 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,176 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Got it.

If you love success, you are a hater

What? I dont like Merill Hodge. Get the fu*k over it. If you want to Internet fight scroll down 6 threads, Spot on panties is waiting.

#18 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,589 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

Merill Hodge has always been a tool. I remember for two straight seasons he tried to change Adrian Petersons nickname from AD to The Cashier (cuz he'll make you pay). Every single show he did he tried to use that ridiculous name and I remember Schlerath (sp?) even laughing at him while he tried to explain it once.

#19 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

How to be an expert: Get a mic, speak on ESPN.

#20 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Recap or STFU!

#21 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Recap or STFU!

I choose to STFU.

#22 Ted Stryker

Ted Stryker

Covetous Jew

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Got it.

If you love success, you are a hater

More like if you love to be an Internet badass, a contrarian, and an attention seeking low self-esteemed "God" of a football message board, you are a troll aka TaRd

#23 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

I dont know if thats true or not. you love matt moore and he's no where near succesful but yet you are considered a hater towards cam

Have to bring him up in every thread yet I'm the troll.

Mods, you taking note?

More like if you love to be an Internet badass, a contrarian, and an attention seeking low self-esteemed "God" of a football message board, you are a troll aka TaRd

New guy has a man crush on me

#24 Datawire

Datawire

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Mods, you taking note?

Hell, I am mostly a lurker, and I am taking note.

You appear to be a tool. Good day, carry on with your internets.

#25 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Well, if Newton doesn't do good Warren Moon can still blame the white man for every problem in the world.

#26 Ted Stryker

Ted Stryker

Covetous Jew

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Have to bring him up in every thread yet I'm the troll.

Mods, you taking note?

New guy has a man crush on me

You wish, kinda like prison rules, instead of hiding in the corner waiting to get raped I just go up to the badass and punch him in the face and take my lumps if I have to

#27 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,257 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

so you punch him in the mouth, take your lumps, and still get fuged in the ass... thats the analogy you want to use? :lol:

#28 Ted Stryker

Ted Stryker

Covetous Jew

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

On point though, Warren lives too much in the past. He did have to endure alot of racism the thing with Cam has more to do with his style of play than his race.

#29 Ted Stryker

Ted Stryker

Covetous Jew

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

so you punch him in the mouth, take your lumps, and still get fuged in the ass... thats the analogy you want to use? :lol:

Ummm, no, more like if I lose so what at least I'm not a Beyotch, so did he fug you and this dredges up painful memories?

#30 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

here's the basic transcript, may have missed some stuff but the gist of it all is there...

The Drive: introduction of moon, all his accomplishments etc

Warren Moon: Great to be on your show, thanks for having me.

TD: How'd you get to know Cam Newton?

WM: First met Cam in highschool... At a football camp near Disney World, when he was a Junior in high school... Saw he had a lot of potential and if he kept at it thought he could be great, and saw how strong his work ethic was then. Pretty soon he went to University of Florida, then to Blinn, then won championship at Auburn. His dad called me and asked me to help him get ready for the NFL combine as far as going through his fundamentals change and his footwork and all that stuff (guess he wasn't perfect, go figure ;)) and so I decided to go along with that, got him Whitfield for a QB coach, worked with him for a few months and got him ready. Quite a young man, quite a physical specimen, and he is really dedicated to being great, will do anything to be great.

TD: Read's Moon quote about criticism of Cam during draft process as being racially bias including bit about being phony. (If you want to read it go google it)

WM: ALl these kids go through the recruiting and drafting and scouting process and they should be judged on what they did in college and whether they have the ability to make it to the NFL and what their strengths and weaknesses you have and when you start judging them on if they have a phony smile when you haven't met them this goes beyond that and becomes character assassination because I had a chance to meet the young man and spend a lot of time with him and I know exactly what kind of person he was and for someone to come out and say that kind of stuff, I had to say something

TD: I can understand why you did, because anyone that has been around this guy especially his teammates, they are really impressed with his humility, work ethic, focus. Alabama fan, watched him break my teams heart. That's when I realized he was unphased. All the scrutiny that he faced, especially last Oct./Nov., how was he able to endure all that?

WM: First he was raised right, comes from a strong family background, spend a lot of time around him and his family, not only him but his family, and his older and younger brother have that same makeup. I know dad has gotten a lot of scrutiny because of that pay for play thing that came out when he went to Auburn but he really has done a great job raising these three young men that he has. Cam is a reflection of that. But the kid just really has a great sense of what it takes to get through adversity, and if anyone ever judges a QB on how he gets through adversity, Cam is a great example of that, how he can go through negative stuff and get his job done at the highest level of where he was playing, winning championships in two levels of college, with all that stuff swirling around him. That had to open the eyes of a lot of NFL people that this was a special young man, plus his toughness and competitiveness and this is a guy you just have to have on your football team.

TD: So many intricacies that goes into being a great qb... Learning personnel, etc... having to acclimate under center... tell us why you think Cam is going to be consistently accurate over the course of his career?

WM: He's going to work at it... You listen to these analysts that say you can't get better at accuracy and that's bullcrap... Lots of different drills and types of things in the passing game that can help you with your passing game... Stupid for someone to say that who hasn't played the position before (Hodge?). Cam knows where the inconsistencies are in his game and he is going to continue to work with that. A lot of the accuracy comes with footwork, if you have the right proper footwork and you are delivering the football with fundamentals you will become more accurate right there. He's doing something right, but every guy can improve on their skills. They said the same thing about Locker but he worked on his accuracy with Ken Obrien and he is flinging it around pretty well now.

TD: Did you watch him play?

WM: I did, and he was impressed, a couple balls he missed on he won't miss. Speed is totally different than what you see in practice. He's playing with guys only a couple weeks now. Working with guys he'll only get better at as he works with these guys. I think he'll get better and better each start out.

TD: If you're in a film room right now with Cam Newton, what will you work with him now? Throwing off his backfoot? He did that a couple things. walk us through.

WM: Can't throw your ball off the backfoot and have velocity and accuracy. He's not going to get rid of all of his old habits over night, but as long as he continues to work at them those things will go away. I would also tell him about anticipating in the red zone more, didn't anticipate earlier but if he had done that earlier and had worked with those guys in game time he'd get better there. Can't critique him too much because this is his first time out. If you keep seeing the same things happen week in and week out for a couple weeks you really have to get on top of it.

TD: Moon played 23 years of pro football, threw for 70k+ yards... If it was me, and I was asked to be what Cam Newton was at HS/College level with bowling people over, and I had to really learn to be a passer, that would be a dramatic passer for me personally, especially considering pro calls... Give us a sense of how big a transition that is for him.

WM: It is big for every college guy, but every college guy and it is simpler to call and simpler with what they are asked to do but what Cam was asked to do, he was asked to do more at the line of scrimmage than most QBs at the line of scrimmage. Seeing what front/defensive backs were doing. In the NFL, it's a little bit different, no question about it, but all these guys can learn this offense that they are asked to be a part of. All Cam was asked to do was run the spread and he did it... If he has the skills and the work ethic he will be great in that as well.

TD: If you were Ron Rivera, would you start him week 1 vs Arizona?

WM: I'm not sure. You know, a lot of it has to do with how far he comes along in the next few weeks and what he has around him, like having Smith around. Being able to run the football consistently will help ANY qb that starts, and an improved defense will too. If you are really not sold on the other guy, why not start him day 1? He can handle it, showed he can handle it in college and I think he can in pro football.

TD: Could you still throw a football at the professional level?

WM: I can throw the football, but my legs won't move the way they used to.
TD: Did you ever think of what would have happened if you had gone right to the NFL instead of winning 5 grey cups in CFL?

WM: Coulda been different in a positive or negative way... I look at it as having a great experience in Canada, played with great guys, then got to play in the NFL... feel great about the career I had. Never know what would have happened if I had gone right in to the NFL... may have held a clip board my entire career, never know... and my career was pretty good.

TD: Crescent Moon Foundation - what is it?

WM: Started it in 1989, got involved in community in Houston Texas, made it almost a mission to wherever I play, give back to that community, and it has continued even after I finished. Funds scholarships for underprivileged college kids and they've all become very successful in their lives. Everybody can't be Cam or Jordan, but EVERYONE can be educated and if you're educated you have a chance to be successful.

Observations:

-I really like Warren Moon, especially now that he doesn't feel he needs to publicly defend Cam.
-He's spot on with his analysis of Cam's game. Interestingly, some of what he says about his footwork and accuracy sounds strangely like one of the more disliked posters around here :P
-So far he has been 100% right about Cam's work ethic, and man, I just hope it continues. Interesting to hear he was like that in high school - it makes me wonder if when he got to college the first time he, like many kids, kinda went a bit crazy and it cost him big, and it wasn't until he saw what happens when you take things for granted that he found his way back to how he was raised... sometimes does happen with kids and does explain a lot of the Florida stuff. Immaturity, go figure :P
-He still sounds pissed at Nawrocki... sounds like he was specifically pissed about *that* comment, and not so much all the others.

Does anyone know what Moon's connection to Cecil was? Interesting that he called him up.

Edited by mav1234, 16 August 2011 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.