Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

I'm entering a photograph contest in national geographic traveler magazine.

39 posts in this topic

I was a journalism major in college, mostly wrote, but took some classes on photo journalism. Some of these you have here are really great for various reasons.

The skinny tree photo is beautiful.

The one of the pink flower. Close up shots always seem to make great pictures in my opinion, couple that with the bright colors and I think that one's a winner.

The rocky cliffside photo is my favorite. The contrast in the colors from the foreground to the background is great.

The bouquet and Buddha pics are really nice. I always like the long, close up shots.

That cat is awesome.

Brisbane River Bridge: I'm sure you know about the rule of thirds in photography, but when I saw that picture that rule really stuck out in my mind. To me that picture is so much more effective because the location of the spotlight and the rail divides the picture into thirds and creates great focal points. Not to mention how great the background looks. Ah, another tidbit on that one. Not that this has any real value that I know of in photography(but I'm a relative novice) the way the spotlight runs exactly parallel to one of the skyscrapers looks super neat.

At any rate, all of the pictures were great in my opinion. Just thought I'd highlight some of the ones I thought were the best of the bunch for different reasons. Good luck with the competition!

1 person likes this

I picked pics that made me "feel" something. The boy swinging brought a smile to my face. The kitten pic makes me sad cause they're homeless. The orphan boy got to me. The flowers, while beautiful, were just pictures. They didn't make me feel anything.

1 person likes this

Those pics are awesome!! Will take a lot of thought to pick a favorite.

1 person likes this

For me, most of them would fit NG... but I think my favorite and the most fitting is the one of the orphan boy in the tuk-tuk in Cambodia... His eyes make you curious to his life experiences...

Also, the kid on the swingset, I'd change that description to something that sounds a little less perverted... lol... "Joy explodes across the face"

;)

Good stuff, though... and good luck!

1 person likes this

First, throw out the pics with the extreme tilt. Tilting screams "I am not yet comfortable in my compositions so let me tilt it and make it cool". Every photographer goes through it, some never make it past.

To me if it goes in a travel magazine it needs to tell the story of your travels. So throw out the flowers.

Also, a brilliant travel picture needs no captioning to tell the story. It tells the story within the frame.

They probably get tons upon tons of shots of the local architecture shot the same way, throw those out.

If the first kitty shot had a wider depth of field so that I could make out the foreign surroundings it would be worth submitting, but since its pretty blurred, could have been taken anywhere. throw that out. The second kitty shot, same thing, does not tell the story of location. Could be a shed in SC.

So for me, I would go with the the blue boat shot.

Its dynamic, colorful, and tells the story. The red bags make a good strong focal point. I assume they are plastic bags you put your belongings in to stay dry? Again, it tells the story. Its taken at a vantage point that puts you in the travelers seat.

1 person likes this

ChildrenofHope.jpg

That is the one I am talking about... His eyes just made me think back to this iconic NG cover...

National%20geographic.jpg

I love all your pics but the ones that stood out to me were, of course the one with the kitten..the one with the ceiba tree and the one with the view of crossing the mekong on a skiff.

good luck!

im with jsqaured. that pic was the only one that made me think whats going on here. the rest seemed great but sort of standard.

where the kid seems to fit with what NG seems to capture at least to me.

Excellent pics... I vote for the kid on the swing. More of a story behind that one to me...

I like the pic of the scraggly tree. It seems to represent the struggle to maintain life in the tough times in that area, and how even in the toughest times, if you can get a foothold, you can manage a productive, if meager existence.

But the is jmho.

I agree with Zod about the tilting. I don't know anything about photography, so I can't comment like Zod can, but when I saw them I wondered what the scene was like without the tilt. Still liked them though.

I'd go with the skiff with the red bags, or the kid in the tuk tuk. To me, the kid on the swing is nice, but doesn't scream NG to me. I kind of liked the first pic on the Mekong too. If the passenger up front was leaning out a little more and their face was clear it would be my first choice. I also liked the shot of the food.

The food shot would have been a winner if you could have shown maybe the server prepping it or something along those lines. Something that tells me where its at.