• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

3 TDs, 0 picks

Honestly if Clausen comes out playing like an all pro don't be surprised if it's Cam that becomes the trade bait. We can't afford to lose a good QB.

If Sutton runs for 2000 yards we would probably trade Williams or Stewart. Not likely though.

Jimmy Clausen in terms of NFL starting QBs just doesn't have the physical tools you look for......and he has never had the intangibles to help offset that. Neither one of those two things is magically going to change.

#17 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Touchdown passes to tight ends count for just as many points as those to wide receivers. And in my opinion we have more solid tight ends than wide receivers.

find me a successful QB or offense that only can hit TD passes to TEs......

it is just a glaring sign of a limited QB and ultimately a limited offense

#18 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

Cam hasn't either. ;)

seriously though, Clausen's looking better... we'll see how he and Cam do, but the reality is that barring some tremendous performance if he gets to start, Newton WILL be playing at some point soon, so he's basically our backup. I still want him to do well, but I've long ago realized they were planning on going with Cam early.

I guess i just didn't see it. He threw 7 balls last weekend....and looked to have the same pocket jitters as always.

looked be the same guy to me......need a larger sample size.

#19 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

I think Clausen gets a second chance and starts only if Cam messes up. It's Cam's job to lose and if Cam steadily improves in the next preseason games I expect him to start.

Clausen has improved but that is expected. Cam brings more to the table when it comes to the QB position.

#20 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,581 posts
  • Location704

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

I guess i just didn't see it. He threw 7 balls last weekend....and looked to have the same pocket jitters as always.

looked be the same guy to me......need a larger sample size.

The thing is, if Cam hones in on Olsen and Shockey, is he gonna be an awesome QB but Clausen isn't because he does the same?

#21 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

The thing is, if Cam hones in on Olsen and Shockey, is he gonna be an awesome QB but Clausen isn't because he does the same?

nothing about Cam suggests that......

I am not implying Clausen honing in on Olsen would be bad....I am implying Clausen proving to avoid or not make the big plays with the WRs is a bad thing. Namely b/c every offense he as been in relies on the vertical pass to them to be remotely successful in the offense.

#22 GoApps70

GoApps70

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

Clausen
Clausen
Clausen
Why are some people so infatuated with him? If he plays OK he will get some playing time. If he doesn't, he wont play. He was terrible last year. Was good and bad last week. We need someone to be good consistently, not even have to HOPE he does well.

#23 DJ Insicion

DJ Insicion

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Nothing.NADA.ZIP.............never wanted him a Panther and WILL never want him a Panther. F ND n their over rated qbs.

#24 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

It's just a matter of time before Cam is the full time starter.

#25 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I dont know what anybody sees in Clausen, maybe they're just looking at it differently, but I don't see the pocket awareness or poise needed to play at a high, or even decent, level. He just doesn't look comfortable back there. I can't see that changing anytime soon, but maybe I'm wrong.

#26 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I know its only preseason but Jimmy does look a whole lot better than he did before. Honestly a crappy Rookie season means nothing for a QB. it takes years for QBS to fully develop. Look at Kyle Orton and Eli Manning rookie years. Now that we have Cam I don't see Clausen getting the starting job. The sad thing is if we just would have been patient Jimmy could probably develop into a starting QB. Now he probably won't ever become a starter for the panthers. Who knows maybe Cam will be a bust or maybe we will trade him and he will have a succesful career elsewhere. All I know is that there is a very low chance of Jimmy having a succesful career here.

#27 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

I know its only preseason but Jimmy does look a whole lot better than he did before. Honestly a crappy Rookie season means nothing for a QB. it takes years for QBS to fully develop. Look at Kyle Orton and Eli Manning rookie years. Now that we have Cam I don't see Clausen getting the starting job. The sad thing is if we just would have been patient Jimmy could probably develop into a starting QB. Now he probably won't ever become a starter for the panthers. Who knows maybe Cam will be a bust or maybe we will trade him and he will have a succesful career elsewhere. All I know is that there is a very low chance of Jimmy having a succesful career here.

Clausen had 7 pass attempts.

He had 3 drives that resulted in a 3 and out (2 clearly aided in that by his poor pocket play)

He had a pick 6 on another.

i realize Clausen was horrific so improvement from horrific to bad should be easy.....but in that TINY window we saw him with so much bad mixed into it.....how are people claiming clearly improvement?!?!?!

#28 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Clausen sucks. deal with it, people.

#29 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

He had 3 drives that resulted in a 3 and out (2 clearly aided in that by his poor pocket play)

i realize Clausen was horrific so improvement from horrific to bad should be easy.....but in that TINY window we saw him with so much bad mixed into it.....how are people claiming clearly improvement?!?!?!

If LaFell doesn't step out of bounds with NOBODY around him who knows where one of those three and out drives gets to. Say it went for a FG, that's 10 points in 4 drives which is pretty damn good.

I maintain that he's going to be a solid pro QB, possibly a very good one in the right system.

Sadly that won't be here 'cos everyone and their mother is infatuated with Newton.

#30 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

he threw a TD that was longer than 5 yards, that's how.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.