Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Economist chimes in on the War on Drugs

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Well that's those crazy Californians, us southern folk would be growing our own. :D

But really I think it'd be all about the seeds. Medical marijuana or any other high grade is seedless when bought, illegal or not.

Posted

Yeah but brewing beer is a process, pot can grow anywhere very easily and the only process involved is drying it out. Get a handful of seeds and toss em in your backyard and you'll never have to buy(with the only factor being quality). I'm sure a lot of people would just buy, but I best a majority would just grow their own because it's so easy.

Same could be said about lettuce or tomatoes, yet the supermarket seems to still be selling them.

Posted

People would grow their own pot just like they grow their own tobacco.

Posted

Same could be said about lettuce or tomatoes, yet the supermarket seems to still be selling them.

Except I could smoke on one tomato sized bud for quite a while.

If anyone has ever had a garden you know it's not just plant and forget. Cannabis is a naturally invasive species - a weed. You don't have to plant and you don't have to maintain or care for it(again, quality is the major factor), just toss out some seeds. I could have enough to smoke all day everyday from an insanely small portion of my backyard.

I might concede that it wouldn't take too many resources to keep people from growing their own to keep it VERY profitable. But I'd be growing the hell out of it myself and I KNOW the mountains would be absolutely covered in a very short time(not like it isn't already :cool:).

Posted

If anyone has ever had a garden you know it's not just plant and forget. Cannabis is a naturally invasive species - a weed. You don't have to plant and you don't have to maintain or care for it(again, quality is the major factor), just toss out some seeds. I could have enough to smoke all day everyday from an insanely small portion of my backyard.

yea if you like schwag.

Posted

yea if you like schwag.

All about the seeds.

Posted

NC has decriminalized grass to a limited degree. First time offender with less than a 1/2 oz gets 30 days and a $200 fine but its mandatory that the sentence is suspended. For 1/2oz up to 1 1/2oz its 1-120 days & $500 but the guidelines allow for community service/probation in lieu of jail for first timers.

Its a long way from legal but its not jail for "personal" amounts either.

Yet that does nothing to help the problem. Its still illegal, and most of the profits are still going to unsavory people. I personally don't care about the local user getting busted or not. I am far more concerned about the criminal gangs that are supported with drug money.

Posted

I might concede that it wouldn't take too many resources to keep people from growing their own to keep it VERY profitable. But I'd be growing the hell out of it myself and I KNOW the mountains would be absolutely covered in a very short time(not like it isn't already :cool:).

You might, but most people are lazy. You do have to do some work, ie picking it and such.

Posted

You might, but most people are lazy. You do have to do some work, ie picking it and such.

it's sort of a depreciating cycle, the more you smoke the less motivated you are to grow your own (or do anything else, except play WOW....)

Posted

Legalizing and decriminalizing are fine ideas until you step back into the real world and try to figure out how some poor farmer is going to keep a bunch of shiftless potheads from stealing buds at 3:30 in the morning. If you make growing the good stuff legal in the US, you'd got to make shooting a piece of poo who is crop stealing legal as well IMHO.

Posted

All about the seeds.

That's pure retardation. Anyone that just plants and forgets is going to end up with dirt pot, period.

Posted

Legalizing and decriminalizing are fine ideas until you step back into the real world and try to figure out how some poor farmer is going to keep a bunch of shiftless potheads from stealing buds at 3:30 in the morning. If you make growing the good stuff legal in the US, you'd got to make shooting a piece of poo who is crop stealing legal as well IMHO.

This thread is just stupid now.