• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#31 malik

malik

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thought it was great considering his o-line was collapsing so much + no smith + no Stewart.

He still looked 300%+ better than jimmy last year.

#32 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

So you take an open competition into the regular season?

I think he needs to decide now. Too much work to do now to not know who's under center.

I should have specified. Just one more game. Granted if we play the same way again it won't make a difference anyway

#33 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

I think Jimmy did more with less this week and was a smidge better last week. He's gained some confidence and there's no harm in letting Cam sit and continue to learn.

I'm not for or against either QB here, I didn't want to draft either of them, but I do want to win now- but moreso long term and I think Cam sitting right now acheives that.

Agree totally with this post, It would be different if Cam came out and wasn't still throwing off his back foot and tossing ankle passes.

He isn't ready, it's clear as day, nothing wrong with letting him sit and learn.

#34 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,246 posts

Our beat reporters are apparently 5 year-olds in the car on the way to a vacation destination.

"Are you ready to name a start yet? Now? NOW?"

#35 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,020 posts

This is my opinion that he will be named the starter. Hopefully Rivera will end the speculation next week and name one of them the week 1 starter and I think it will be Cam.

I think Clausen has slightly outplayed Cam in camp and in the preseason games though.

So the question I pose is simple. SHOULD he start??

Although I am a hugger and wanted Cam from the beginning I was never keen on him starting day one. I thought he should be on the sideline until he was deemed ready to go. I didn't put a time frame on it, I said if he is ready week 1 he should start week 1; if he isn't ready until next year he should sit until next year.

But from what has been reported from camp and what i have seen on TV the reason I think Cam starts is this:

Ask yourself one question. Although Clausen has probably slightly outplayed Cam to this point, is he really so far ahead of Cam that you actually have to start him? I don't think so. I don't think the gap is large enough that Jimmy has to start over Cam Newton. Therefore it is a draw or a split decision in which case (like boxing) the decision goes to the #1 pick.

Here is the issue that Ron Rivera is faced with. In all likelihood this is Cam's basement. He likely will not get worse than he is right now as a rookie. At the same time there is also a chance that Clausen is at his ceiling and he simply has no other gear he can get to. I am not necessarily saying that is the case but it is possible.

Not to mention the money invested in the #1 pick means the decision to start Cam's development probably take precedence over seeing if Clausen is at his ceiling

So all of this is a long winded question of, what would you do? Go ahead and start Cam with the thought that he will improve as the season and his career progresses and eventually surpasses Jimmy or start Jimmy and see if he can hold the fort down until you think Cam is 100% ready??

Edited by teeray, 19 August 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#36 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,758 posts
  • LocationNC

#37 pdandy1994

pdandy1994

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

I didn't get to see the game, but I hate the excuse of "His o-line was collapsing"

#38 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,186 posts

I think Cam just needs some more experience. He didn't get much work in tonight.

I say, go ahead and name Cam the starter. Hopefully by Thursday the line realizes that you actually have to run block sometimes, and we get Smitty back.

#39 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Meh is what i thought.

#40 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Have you seen him play? Absolutely not.

#41 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,186 posts

Jimmy just doesn't have it. He plays like a pussy, seriously.

#42 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Thought it was great considering his o-line was collapsing so much + no smith + no Stewart.

He still looked 300%+ better than jimmy last year.

welcome to the world of excuses

#43 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,124 posts

I say give Anderson a shot at starting next week with the starting team to give a look over before making a final choice. Anderson might surprise us.

#44 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

How ugly was it?

Neither QB broke 70 yards in a half, though Clausen "managed" to put up 10 points against 2nd, 3rd, and 11th string players.

#45 trucpfan

trucpfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

He isn't even going to have much to go on from this game as far as the QB play goes, we barely ran any plays on offense.
What he should be doing is looking for a DT because the guys we trot out and name starters would be 3rd string type of players on most other rosters.

This is the truth, I'm glad this has been exposed before cuts in a few weeks we need help at DT immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com