Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gipetto

Sam bradfords first preseason start VS Cams

51 posts in this topic

Wasn't that Sam's stat after his third preseason game? This is what it says

Yes, but Cam's numbers posted in the OP and the title of the thread implied the OP was talking about his numbers as a starter.

Here is the OP:

Sam bradfords first preseason start VS Cams

Sam bradford - 6-of-13 passes for 57 yards

Cam newton - 7 of 14 passes for 66 yards

Stop worrying

If we're talking about the first preseason game they played in, it should read:

Sam Bradford - 6/13, 57 yards

Cam Newton - 8/19, 134 yards.

But the OP was clearly looking for Bradford's first numbers *as a starter* based on the title of the post and the numbers from Cam he used.

All this is silly, preseason stats mean nothing...

So does that mean that you could use this for Clausen too? Something along the lines of.

Terry Bradshaw- Horrible Rookie Campaign.

Jimmy Clausen- Horrible Rookie Campaign.

Stop worrying?

If not, then there's a lot of bias here...

Except unlike Clausen Bradshaw had a rocket arm and confidence out his a** and the reason he struggled was he forced alot of stuff deep.He also was a leader, no for Jimmay. He went on to win 4 Super Bowls btw

Sam Bradford will never be an NFL QB. :rolleyes:

BTW the point of the OP isn't to compare the games and saying Cam = Bradford or Cam > Bradford.

His point is quit getting you panties in a bunch and fretting over these numbers. They mean poo to you, to me, and most importantly to Ron Rivera.

These games are not what Ron Rivera will base his decision off of. They don't practice just to slapass around. In actuality that is where the real work is being done.

Cam probably isn't ready to start. But Jimmy is so close to him it makes no sense not to start Cam IMO. If Jimmy was lighting it up and throwing darts all over the field I would be 100% percent behind sitting Cam for a while.

The reality is that Clausen and Cam are about equal at this point. Therefore a tie goes to the #1 pick.

they don't mean anything in the preseason, but if you're going to compare the first preseason starts of rookies for some stupid reason, you might as well actually use the right numbers.

:lol: you make a good point

Except unlike Clausen Bradshaw had a rocket arm and confidence out his a** and the reason he struggled was he forced alot of stuff deep.He also was a leader, no for Jimmay. He went on to win 4 Super Bowls btw

Thanks for missing the obvious point. If they gave up on him after one season, boy would they have looked like idiots.

Check out Troy Aikman as well.

If you were alive back then and lived it, then you'd know what you're talking about. If you were, then kuddos to you. I wasn't but I know he had a really bad season, Bradshaw I mean.

His point was, "Hey, don't panic, look how Bradford did in his first preseason start, clearly preseason doesn't predict the regular season!" He's right that we shouldn't panic, but come on, if you're going to make that point with numbers (which you don't need to, it's the f'ing preseason) you probably want to use the numbers that support your position and are actually correct. The real numbers for what he described don't support his position - but I'm being a smartass here, not trying to prove we should panic, I just hate when people misuse numbers (like saying "Jimmy is going to be Carr because he had lots of sacks!" or "Jimmy is going to be Aikman cause Aikman blew as a rookie too!")

The one thing to take from this is that Bradford didn't look ready to start in the preseason either for part of it and he improved quick, so our young QBs might too.

Also, while some idiot analysts may be saying that Cam will never be an NFL QB, the majority of people don't seem to be giving him a ton of poo and he seemed to actually get pretty favorable responses from his first game, and I've seen people say this last game he showed potential, so I don't get where all this "EVERYONE HATES CAM YOU GUYS ARE ALL SO MEAN TO HIM COMPARED TO HOW THEY WERE TO BRADFORD" is coming (which, btw, wasn't even true - bradford took lumps in his first 2 preseason games, too)

1 person likes this

Thanks for missing the obvious point. If they gave up on him after one season, boy would they have looked like idiots.

Check out Troy Aikman as well.

If you were alive back then and lived it, then you'd know what you're talking about. If you were, then kuddos to you. I wasn't but I know he had a really bad season, Bradshaw I mean.

First, i was

Secondly, you missed the obvious point I made which was Bradshaw didn't struggle for lack of talent. He and Clausen were polar opposites. As a side note it would do some people well to look at each rookies struggles separately. There are no absolutes.

look at each rookies struggles separately. There are no absolutes.

agreed, which is why we don't really know if Clausen could improve in his second year given proper coaching etc, which was Ivan's point I suspect.

agreed, which is why we don't really know if Clausen could improve in his second year given proper coaching etc, which was Ivan's point I suspect.

Basically, mine is Jimmy doesnt have comparable talent

Basically, mine is Jimmy doesnt have comparable talent

True not to Bradshaw, but he does have talent and thats the thing almost everybody seems to be ruling out now that the number one overall pick is playing on the same team.

And i think ( just my personal opinion ) Jimmy has more potential at being a successful NFL quarterback than Cam will. Look back to when he played at a junior college note: for only one year, was it a pro style offense...no. Look back at Auburn note: for only one year, was it a pro style offense...no. Now look at Jimmy at Notre Dame note: for three years, was it a pro style offense...yes.

So ( once again my personal opinion ) Jimmy in the long run has more potential to help our panthers rather than hurt them, as what would happen if you were to just throw Cam Newton into the mix with a team that is still trying to find its identity.

• Hello fellow huddles. I've been a Panther fan since 2003 and usually have had the ability to watch all the games until I started at a major retail chain store in 2016.  I'm also at the bottom of the totem pole there so I have the worst scheduling hours  (ex. I have to often do a late shift one day and be back at work for an early shift the next morning , always work weekends) and 99 percent of the time I'm scheduled to work on Sundays. Apparently there's already a bunch of people in my department and elsewhere who already have Sundays off as part of their availability, so I'm guessing this is one of the reasons why I'm ALWAYS scheduled to work a late shift every Sunday it seems which is pretty much a guarantee I will miss the games this season. I've got maybe 4 days of paid time off accumulated so I guess I could pick a few games out of the season to be off on. Logic tells me that I'd probably be better served to let that keep stacking and just take a week of PTO vacation in July or something but it just sucks ass being a huge football fan and miss most of the action for the first time in my life.  I pretty much had to take this job at least in the short term last year, or just take the job that was willing to hire me the soonest honestly.  Its most certainly my fault for majoring in a dumb ass unemployable field of study in college , so I won't waste time bemoaning my living situation at this point. I'm just trying to figure out of theres anyway to at least have Sundays off. I'm guessing I could actually change my availability with the company but that's going to murder my weekly hours , I'm already part time if I miss any given day during the week I get significantly less money for rent/food/other poo I need.  I live in a small ish town in eastern NC right now. 95 percent of the jobs out here seem to be at retail/fast food oriented . I've applied to alot of jobs closer to major areas like Raleigh , Durham for the past half year but no dice so far. At this point, I'm not even sure if its possible for me to get a non retail job. Its pretty much the only thing that I have experience doing and I'm 26 so.. part of me wishes I just went to a branch of the military like alot of my high school classmates did, or gone to some trade school, or did some on the job training for a technical career out of the gate from high school, but you can say hindsight is 20/20 as the cliche goes.  The immediate suggestions would be to DVR / Record the games which isn't an option for me , can't afford expensive  100+ dollar TV packages when thats  ten percent of my monthly income , I make ends meet with this job and thats right about it.  For whatever reason I just assume that the average huddle is middle aged with a decent steady job and income living near a big city haha. Its just my imagination obviously, and what I observe through looking at pictures people post and stories they tell. Even if you don't really have much input on my senario, let me ask you this, was there ever a time in your 20s or just a time in your life where you just didn't have the ability / means to watch the games even though you still considered yourself a fan at the time? 
    • What can I make of Cameron Artis-Payne? What I don't think I can make - barring injuries - is a spot for him on this year's Panthers roster. He may surprise, but I'm not expecting it.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tbhx4