Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newton starter vs Bengals, Week 1 starter TBD

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote]
@carolinagrowl
Steve Reed
Breaking news: Coach Ron Rivera has named QB Cam Newton the starter for Thursday night but not the season opener yet.[/quote]

Also Hardy is back at practice.

Cam will play 3 quarters.

Posted · Report post

So Rivera is going to wait 1 more preaseason game before announcing? That'll be cool since that's what I had been calling for.

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE]billvoth Bill Voth
Cam will play around 3 quarters. Again, he hasn't been named regular season starter. But it's there for him.
[/QUOTE]

Gonna have 3 quarters. Him playing that much makes it seem like they really want Cam to start.

Posted · Report post

He's gonna play 3 quarters too? Wowzerz.

Posted · Report post

wow rivera, wow

"so uh, guys... we really wanted Cam to look good, but damn, he just isn't stepping up like we hoped, so we're gonna give him three quarters this time and hope he does :)"

just name him the starter, jesus. it's obvious that is what you want to do.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Reapuh']Gonna have 3 quarters. Him playing that much makes it seem like they really want Cam to start.[/QUOTE]

i'm convinced of that now.

...but if he doesn't lead a touchdown drive in 3 quarters, then what?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mav1234']wow rivera, wow

"so uh, guys... we really wanted Cam to look good, but damn, he just isn't stepping up like we hoped, so we're gonna give him three quarters this time and hope he does :)"

just name him the starter, jesus. it's obvious that is what you want to do.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he decided to ditch the whole idea of having at least 1 preseason game treated as a regular season game and give Clausen 3 quarters in game 4 too and then make a decision?

Posted · Report post

So he's our week 1 starter pretty much. Game 3 is the dress rehearsal, so I don't see it changing.

Posted · Report post

Well giving someone play time does not give them an advantage to start. If Newton comes out and throws 3 or 4 interceptions, it seemingly would almost force them not to start him.

Posted · Report post

It is setting up an awkward scenario if Cam plays lousy. It seems to me that Cam is going to be the guy no matter what.

Posted · Report post

Excellent news!

Posted · Report post

Beason and otah still out fwiw