118 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

http://www.usatoday....gion-ARIS_N.htm

"So many Americans claim no religion at all, (15%, up from 8% in 1990), that this category now outranks every other major U.S. religious group except Catholics and Baptists."

:angelsad2:

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,321 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

Considering they are under almost constant attack this isn't surprising.

#3 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,221 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

Religion needs to evolve. One of my biggest problems with the Catholic Church is that the rules and guidelines are very archaic. What worked 400 years ago will not work now...

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

ATTACK!!!!! lol

For such a small group, they must have a compelling and reasonable argument to gain that kind of share in such a brand-preference market.

#5 jkeough

jkeough

poop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Religion needs to evolve. One of my biggest problems with the Catholic Church is that the rules and guidelines are very archaic. What worked 400 years ago will not work now...

you mean the earth isnt flat?!?!?!?!

#6 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

The number of Muslims has doubled! DOUBLED! WTFOMGBBQ!11!!!!

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

the theme of christianity is to oppose all contrary facts, until it seems silly to do so. Then attack another fact until it also seems silly to do so.

When Dinosaur fossils were first discovered, then dated, the Christian religion had to either come to grips that Genesis was simply a story, or create museums that have Stegosaurases with saddles for kids to ride on. Either choice does not make them look that good to the reasonable person.

Once that choice was made, then it was on to evolution theory, with basically the same "accept it and ignore that part of the Bible, or stick your head in the sand" choices.

Same with the Earth centric universe, creation timeline....when man can create life from organic compounds, there will be another hand wringing episode then as well.

This is why the Old Testament is mostly ignored as "rules for ancient cultures to live by" and the New Testament is all correct for some reason.

Except for the gay people, thats important to look for guidance for in the Old Testament.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

and these are just the ones who admit it. there is still a major stigma on skepticism.

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

The one thing I'm thankful for most regarding my parents is that they never took me to church. I made up my mind at a pretty early age and have been agnostic ever since.

I agree with Phil Donahue, though....it's just as crazy to say definitively that there isn't a higher being as it is to say that there is.

#10 sack_attack

sack_attack

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

haha yea my problem with the catholic church is everything!!! They are just a corporation with religion as its front..They are no better than the televangelist that says hes gonna heal you, all you gotta do is send him some money and he sends you a green napkin... like do people actually believe this crap??

There was a pope in the 17th or 18th century that would give you a get out of hell card if you made a donation to the church...you could also prepay the church for sins you were about to commit..sooo yea they are just money mongers...

#11 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,476 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I read that article at lunch. Glad someone posted it.

I was pretty surprised to read that people claiming "No Religion" was actually bigger than all other relgious groups besides Catholics and Baptists.

I found the part about how even "born-again Christians" are becoming less and less concerned with moral issues in politics to be refreshing.

#12 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

The one thing I'm thankful for most regarding my parents is that they never took me to church. I made up my mind at a pretty early age and have been agnostic ever since.

I agree with Phil Donahue, though....it's just as crazy to say definitively that there isn't a higher being as it is to say that there is.

While I get what you and Phil are trying to say, I disagree.

It isn't up to the nonbeliever to PROVE anything. You don't prove a negative, you start from non-belief (or should, in the rational mind) and then work on a framework should you choose to pursue that course to explain the world.

It isn't crazy to not believe, it is just absence of belief. I don't believe in Fairie Folk, am I crazy for not? No.
But believing what you read in the Bible.....even the staunchest proponent has to cringe when reading some of that stuff. And the stuff the church left out (for obvious reasons) is even better.

1) Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
2)De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
3)Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
4)Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
5)Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
6)De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
7)Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

This is Dawkin's belief scale. I come in at a 6, since I acknowledge that I cannot PROVE the inexistence of a deity, but again, I'm not the one making an improbable claim. So getting back to your point, in my mind that makes me "less crazy".

#13 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Yeah and Dawkins believes aliens may have created the earth. Thats a great one to look up to. Also John Lennox in there last debate destroyed him, Ben Stein made him look foolish so yeah, Id put alot of stock in his charts. Lets just throw out actually history that was recorded and not just bible refernces but all others that mentioned Christs existence. We dont agree with it so we will stretch as fas as we can and grasp to whatever person who we agree with that suits or way of thinking. Dawkins is as looney as any televangelist out there. Ravi Zacharias just had a huge open forum in Atlanta on Is a belief in Jesus like the Easter Bunny and agreed to answer any questions asked. I would take his intelligent way of thought over Dawkins any day of the week. Of course if you look for the debate between John Lennox and Dawkins youll find little atheist excerpts and it looks like he is winning. I dare you to listen to the whole debate, you might not feel as educated as you think you are. But you only have an OPEN mind if you dont believe in anything so Im sure none of you will check it out.

#14 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

haha yea my problem with the catholic church is everything!!! They are just a corporation with religion as its front..They are no better than the televangelist that says hes gonna heal you, all you gotta do is send him some money and he sends you a green napkin... like do people actually believe this crap??

There was a pope in the 17th or 18th century that would give you a get out of hell card if you made a donation to the church...you could also prepay the church for sins you were about to commit..sooo yea they are just money mongers...

Indulgences are what they are called and they still exist in the Catholic Church. Not monetary ones anymore but by doing something, saying a prayer, etc you can be forgiven for a sin that would otherwise lead to time in purgatory.

#15 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

Im curious how the atheists on here believe life came into being? Easy enough question. Lets discuss, and really give me some of those awesome highly educated answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.