Photo
- - - - -

Religu-less?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#16 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Im curious how the atheists on here believe life came into being? Easy enough question. Lets discuss, and really give me some of those awesome highly educated answers.

This is what keeps me from being full fledged atheist. I believe if there is a God, he or she resembles Mother Nature and not the man with the white beard.

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,081 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

I'm glad people are having a hard time identifying with religion. So did Jesus.
Religion is MAN MADE. Following God/Jesus is NOT.
Big distinction.

I always tell people who say well what about organized religion etc? I say go read the bible and focus on Jesus' life.
All these traditions and political mumbo jumbo is garbage.
One other thing that cracks me. Some will say, "well the reason I don't go to church is because of the hypocrites etc." That is well and good. But what about your job? You still go to work. Ahh. Paycheck. Me understand.
On the flipside, I think many who claim they don't believe, in a reverse or inverted way use that as a crutch as well.
It comes down to YOU. What are YOU doing? It doesn't matter was Pastor A is doing or not. Or deacon so and so or Bishop blah blah blah. Its YOU.

#18 JoCoLoco

JoCoLoco

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

^^^^^ Post of the Year.

#19 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Im curious how the atheists on here believe life came into being? Easy enough question. Lets discuss, and really give me some of those awesome highly educated answers.

Aren't you actually asking "why" life came into being?

#20 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

^ yeah, that whole LIFE thing really throws a monkey wrench into this argument quite a bit. For me, I think things one such a grand scale functioning so will together really make you wonder who/how it all happened.

#21 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

^ yeah, that whole LIFE thing really throws a monkey wrench into this argument quite a bit. For me, I think things one such a grand scale functioning so will together really make you wonder who/how it all happened.

yea, but things don't really work that well together.... People choke on food because our air hole is in the same place as our food hole. A plumber could tell you that's not the greatest design. Whales got it right. We are really fuging delicate creatures, any imbalance of chemicals in the air, we die. Vacuum? We die. Extreme cold? Heat? We die. Tigers? Dead. etc. etc. etc.

Viruses and things are much better adapted, and they do it so quickly we can watch how they adapt.....sooooooo.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

ooooooh..... somebody forgot to turn the filter back on.....

#23 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

We are creating it ourselves after only having a glimmer of understanding about how it works for what, 60 years or less?

Millions of years with a planet full of the right organic compounds and something is just as likely to ferment as not.

There's more evidence than ever that life existed on Mars - and some that suggests that it still does. There's telescopes and techniques now that detect Earth type planets in nearby star systems, and with the new telescope that's being launched, expect that number to grow a lot.

Just because you can't figure something out does not mean there is no logical explanation. Your excuse is one step removed from an Amazon rainforest tribesman wondering how sounds come out of a magic box.

#24 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm glad people are having a hard time identifying with religion. So did Jesus.
Religion is MAN MADE. Following God/Jesus is NOT.
Big distinction.

I always tell people who say well what about organized religion etc? I say go read the bible and focus on Jesus' life.
All these traditions and political mumbo jumbo is garbage.
One other thing that cracks me. Some will say, "well the reason I don't go to church is because of the hypocrites etc." That is well and good. But what about your job? You still go to work. Ahh. Paycheck. Me understand.
On the flipside, I think many who claim they don't believe, in a reverse or inverted way use that as a crutch as well.
It comes down to YOU. What are YOU doing? It doesn't matter was Pastor A is doing or not. Or deacon so and so or Bishop blah blah blah. Its YOU.

Here's my one problem with your post....did you meet Jesus yourself?

#25 Mesmer

Mesmer

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

Define "meet". :rolleyes:

I think you're getting yourself into something you don't want to get into. Or, perhaps you do... what do I know. :lol:

#26 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

We are creating it ourselves after only having a glimmer of understanding about how it works for what, 60 years or less?

Millions of years with a planet full of the right organic compounds and something is just as likely to ferment as not.

There's more evidence than ever that life existed on Mars - and some that suggests that it still does. There's telescopes and techniques now that detect Earth type planets in nearby star systems, and with the new telescope that's being launched, expect that number to grow a lot.

Just because you can't figure something out does not mean there is no logical explanation. Your excuse is one step removed from an Amazon rainforest tribesman wondering how sounds come out of a magic box.

Still waiting on that proof that life exists on Mars.

#27 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

So once you see that, will you become an athiest or something?

I doubt it. If you believe that the life-fairy started things here, you will jsut come up with another "one of Gods mysteries" answers.

When someday in the future, we find other intelligent life out there, will each side fight to prove that they are Gods "chosen people"?

#28 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

So once you see that, will you become an athiest or something?

I doubt it. If you believe that the life-fairy started things here, you will jsut come up with another "one of Gods mysteries" answers.

When someday in the future, we find other intelligent life out there, will each side fight to prove that they are Gods "chosen people"?

Nope, will just be more amazed by the ORDER that exists...And perplexed by the mechanisms that make them so, or WHAT/WHO made them so.

The more unfathomable things become for you, you except as some sloppy, cosmic accident.

#29 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,081 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

In the context of reading and studying his life, yes.
Personally no.

I'm moved by your passion, but I don't follow your math.

#30 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Define "meet". :rolleyes:

I think you're getting yourself into something you don't want to get into. Or, perhaps you do... what do I know. :lol:

My point is, everything he said about Jesus sounds great, but it's not rock solid information. Jesus' story was written down by men a couple hundred years after his death. Then translated. And retranslated. And retranslated again.

I don't disagree with the main theme of pstall's post, though. Take out the stuff about Jesus and I agree with all of it.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com