Photo
- - - - -

Panthers/Bengals In-Depth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#25 mav1234

mav1234

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Dalton had a terrible start last week but was looking better and better as the game went on. I wouldn't assume that we'll see nothing but terribleness out of him. AJ Green couldn't hold onto the ball in the rain last weekend either.

The Bengals announcers commented that a number of the second team guys were out there pretty early in the game I think. They did an admirable job at keeping the Jets bottled up for quite a while during a period in which the offense was turning the ball over.

I personally think we should win, but it might be closer than it looks to fans. I expect we'll get better production from our run game this week than last, but I don't think we're going to run all over them too easily if they are healthy (haven't checked). While the Bengals are undoubtedly pretty bad... the reality is, we are too with a number of injuries. Hopefully our returning starters bolster our defense and offense and we have a fun ride tonight.

#26 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

On paper, we were better then many teams that beat us last year. On paper, we should of been a pretty good team last year.

Really? We sucked on paper last year. We had the youngest team in the leauge and John Fox was our coach.

Now we have Thomas Davis back, Gambles out of Fox's Dog House. Smith['s happier. We have a legit recieving threats at tight end. Our young players have another year of experience.

They have injuries that they are dealing with too. They d-line is missing sims and Dunlap,arguably their best DE AND DT.

My prediction that we beat probably the worst team in the leauge in a preseason game where our starters will be playing thru 3 quarters and theirs only playing 1 half is not some crazy prediction.

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Nobody likes a negative Nancy! Oh yeah, do the words Cam to Smitty mean anything to you? How about Cam to Olsen/Shockey/Nanne/Edwards/Pilares?

DeAngelo/Stewart?

No way in hell we lose this game tonight bro

No way in hell our Defense looks that pooty twice in a row.

The new Era begins tonight. I'm excited to see how they will roll offensively. It will be important for them to know that they can do it going into the Season opener. This is what u call a confidence building game.

Go get em Cam and company! We (the fans) are anticipating your coming out party tonight!

it's far from a gimme...regardless of how poorly the bengals are looking.

it's not being negative, it's being honest. we don't have things worked out yet. there are a lot of mistakes to be made. the right side of the line is in shambles. this is still a young team and quite prone to make mistakes. we have a young QB that still has a lot to learn.

true...the bengals are in arguably worse shape, but things can always turn around for a team. they could have an uncharacteristically good night. it only takes a couple plays to turn things around. for the panthers they could get into a funk early and just have one of those nights that things just don't work.

do i expect to lose? nope...but it's a possibility. we are coming off a 2-14 season and are a young team in a new system on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB and basically missing a whole season's worth of reps. it doesn't matter that the other team is in the same boat. there is no reason to be cocky about going into this game. this team has done nothing to give us any reason to be that way. being optimistic is fine, which i am, but i'm under no delusion that this team all of a sudden has things worked out to the point it can go into any stadium (in cincy or otherwise) and dominate.

Running could be an issue. Right side of OL in protection could be an issue.

People are expecting the Redskin/Panther preseason game of 08......don't see that happening.

agreed.

#28 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Really? We sucked on paper last year. We had the youngest team in the leauge and John Fox was our coach.

Now we have Thomas Davis back, Gambles out of Fox's Dog House. Smith['s happier. We have a legit recieving threats at tight end. Our young players have another year of experience.

They have injuries that they are dealing with too. They d-line is missing sims and Dunlap,arguably their best DE AND DT.

My prediction that we beat probably the worst team in the leauge in a preseason game where our starters will be playing thru 3 quarters and theirs only playing 1 half is not some crazy prediction.

No, we didn't suck on paper heading into the season. Great OL, best ground game in the NFL, stud WR, good D, promising young QB in Moore who tore it up to finish the prior year.

You say we sucked now.....but on paper we didn't suck at the time.

#29 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

No, we didn't suck on paper heading into the season. Great OL, best ground game in the NFL, stud WR, good D, promising young QB in Moore who tore it up to finish the prior year.

First of all I respect your opinion but I disagree. Normally I would not even carry on this argument but i'm bored to death at work and can't wait for the game so here we go just for the sake of killing time.

I thought you were referring to a game by game basis of how we looked on paper. I am not making any crazy predictions here about the regular season.

I just simply stated that from what I know or think I know about our team and what I have read about Cincy that we should beat them without their ever being much threat of us losing.

We have an unfair advantage in having more time time to game plan, getting a W seems more important to our Coaching staff this week than it does theirs, as evidenced by the fact our starters are going 3 quarters vs theirs only going 1 half.

You seem pretty confident that I am wrong but I have not heard your predcitions. Do you think we will win, lose or it will be to close of a game to call or what?

#30 kungfoodude

kungfoodude

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, lets forget that we are starting a Qb who has been in the league 3 weeks and was reportedly going to need 2 or 3 years to learn an NFL offense. Let forget that while Smith and Newton worked out some in the offseason, they have not worked much at all in preseason. Lets forget that the Cincy will actually be gameplanning against Cam for the first time. Lets forget we don't have our right side of the line intact and are still installing plays.

Yeah the offense should be firing on all cyclinders and putting up the points just like the Jets who went to the AFC championship game last year, has the same offense and defense and increased their offensive weapons with a quarterback who has been in the league for several years.

Newsflash!!! We will look pretty rough in the regular season for the first half at least.

Calm down, ese. I expect us to stink this year anyway for pretty much most of the reasons you have in your first paragraph. I'm just saying Cincy is a good measuring stick for how bad we are going to stink for the first half of the season.

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

agreed. there was really very little reason to believe that this team would have done so poorly. even being the massive critic of fox that i have been the past few years i didn't think he would pussy out like that as a coach.

i didn't think that matt moore was going to lead us to the promised land on his shoulders, but i thought when he had played he had done a very respectable job. nothing flashy, but still a very solid QB.

going into last year we still had a stud Oline. only issue was RG, but we had done well in the past filling in holes like that. we had a great Oline coach that had always done a good job of getting guys coached up and prepared. no one knew that otah was going to be out as long as he was, but even when he was out the year before, we did well.

we still had steve smith and the best RB corps in the league. all the young WRs needed to do was take pressure off smith. should have been an easy enough job if we just were able to spread the ball around. 34&28 had done well at showing you can't stack the box on them. they set records only a year earlier with pretty close to the same cast and coaching staff. very little reason to believe they couldn't be respectable still.

we had lost a couple vets on offense, but moose was slowing down (though he probably could have played at a respectable level last year) and losing him didn't seem like it would have been a big deal. brad hoover was just getting hurt a lot. the tough thing about being a FB is that it takes years to get to a point where you can do a great job of blocking, but by the time you get there your body has taken such a huge beating you have a very short shelf life. it was time to move on.

on defense...losing diggs wasn't that big of a deal. he didn't play all that much even when he wasn't hurt. chris harris was a field general and would have helped. we lost a couple key cogs at DT and DE seemed a bit weaker not having pep around, but still, the rest of the defense should have been able to do a respectable job.

i said respectable for much of that...not dominant...respectable. i wasn't looking at playoffs, but i was looking at 7-9 or 8-8. losing all but 2 games wasn't something i would have seriously considered and i doubt any but the most chicken little pessimistic people would have thought that possible.

on paper it looked like a mediocre, but still fairly respectable team....not a joke.

#32 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

Literally Can't Even

HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Nobody likes a negative Nancy! Oh yeah, do the words Cam to Smitty mean anything to you? How about Cam to Olsen/Shockey/Nanne/Edwards/Pilares?

DeAngelo/Stewart?

No way in hell we lose this game tonight bro

No way in hell our Defense looks that pooty twice in a row.

The new Era begins tonight. I'm excited to see how they will roll offensively. It will be important for them to know that they can do it going into the Season opener. This is what u call a confidence building game.

Go get em Cam and company! We (the fans) are anticipating your coming out party tonight!

ugh...

#33 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

Calm down, ese. I expect us to stink this year anyway for pretty much most of the reasons you have in your first paragraph. I'm just saying Cincy is a good measuring stick for how bad we are going to stink for the first half of the season.

Thanks for bumping my post. I was right on every point. I am not mad or upset just letting you know what was going to happen.