• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#46 kungfoodude

kungfoodude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

they sat b/c there were better options than playing them as rookies.....signifantly better options. That's what it always comes down to. Matt Ryan would have sat if he was in there spots as well.

I agree we don't have much better options but maybe that is something we should have considered when we were making our offseason signings. It's not like there were not good or serviceable QB's to be had.

I was screaming all offseason(although not on here) for us to sign a good veteran QB for Cam to learn from and sit behind.

#47 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

Cam lovers..."someone else's fault"

Cam haters..."he sucks"

I'm a Cam nut hugger and I think he sucks

#48 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,277 posts

Aaron Rodgers says look at my ring.

Point was, Favre made a hall of fame career by throwing unorthodox, quirky, and recklessly... how many of his highlights show him throwing off his backfoot? A lot.

Not saying I want Cam to be Favre-like because as good as he was, Favre's tendency to gamble and throw INTs at horrible times cost them a lot of games and had to piss people off.

That's one thing Cam already has in his backpocket is that he's not making big mistakes or playing reckless and turning the ball over. He's making good decisions, he just needs to work on some things as he practices and plays IMO. It'll come to him.

(SN: And Favre had a ring before Rodgers, but I get what you were saying, lol)

#49 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Yeah, he looks terrible too. And even he completely more than 30% of his passes. Cam was lucky one of his ducks last night were not picked off, they came close.

Close only counts in horse shoes. He hasnt thrown a pick and he's performing on par wit the recent #1 overall drafted QBs. And he's performing better than the other QBs on staff. Thats enough for me at this point and it looks like its enough for coaches. Stafford also struggled his entire rookie season but came back with a better effort in year 2. Cameron is always gonna be held to a higher standard because of his identity and the type of QB he is, I get that, but lets at least let the guy get some regular season starts in before we jump to conclusions about who is ready and who aint.

#50 kungfoodude

kungfoodude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Stafford also came from a pro-style offense at Georgia.

#51 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Oh fug off. Why is this kid untouchable in the eyes of certain posters?

He locked on to Smith. Just like rookie QBs tend to do. He then threw inaccurate passes to Smith (amongst others).

Why when Clausen does this is it his fault, but when Newton does this it's the game plan, or the O-line not giving him enough time, or the WRs being crap?

fuging ridiculous.

Here is somebody jumping to conclusions. I am a Clausen backer. Just look at my post history. I thought he was an excellent pick. By no means am I a Newton homer. Last year the o-line sucked. This year it doesn't look much better. At least Newton can make something happen with his feet and hasn't turned the ball over yet.

You haven't read me one time bash Clausen since we picked him. So don't jump around claiming that one or the other is untouchable to me. As you say.. fug off and good day m'am.

#52 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,718 posts

I am only holding him to the standard of having average footwork and completing more passes than 30%. I don't think that is a high standard.

He doesn't look ready to start in the NFL, forcing him to do so is going to hurt his career.

#53 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,105 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

Josh Freeman threw a 37.5 comp. % and a 41.2 % in the last two PS games of his rookie year. Both games he threw over 15 times he threw his lowest completion % of the preseason. Also of note, only the 41.2% game was the one he started and it was the final PS game of the year, most likely against the other teams' scrubs.

So, keep it in perspective guys. How'd he turn out?

Nice try, but you fail on a few levels:

1. freemen did not start until midway through the season...and that time on the bench probably helped him

2. we really don't know how he turned out. he has had one good season. eeeven da had a good season. need to have more time to know whether he is a one hit wonder or a legit top qb. i am betting it is the latter, but there are qb's that show it could be the former.

if i had to chose between clausen or cam, i would go with cam. but i still think da would be a better option for several reasons.

1. starting da would allow cam to develop in preactice

2. even his worst play is better than what cam has shown us

just my opinion

#54 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Point was, Favre made a hall of fame career by throwing unorthodox, quirky, and recklessly... how many of his highlights show him throwing off his backfoot? A lot.

Not saying I want Cam to be Favre-like because as good as he was, Favre's tendency to gamble and throw INTs at horrible times cost them a lot of games and had to piss people off.

That's one thing Cam already has in his backpocket is that he's not making big mistakes or playing reckless and turning the ball over. He's making good decisions, he just needs to work on some things as he practices and plays IMO. It'll come to him.

(SN: And Favre had a ring before Rodgers, but I get what you were saying, lol)

Cool. Sitting and learning for rookie QBs isn't he worst thing in the world. Hurney screwed up by, once deciding on drafting Cam, not having plan 'B' if his development was slower than expected. That's why I'm so pissed.

#55 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

brett favre was an anomaly, and shouldn't be used in any type of comparison.

#56 kungfoodude

kungfoodude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

I am only holding him to the standard of having average footwork and completing more passes than 30%. I don't think that is a high standard.

He doesn't look ready to start in the NFL, forcing him to do so is going to hurt his career.

+1

I completely agree. The road is paved with failed and ruined QB's that had their confidence shaken by being thrown in too soon on bad teams. If we are serious about Cam being our future franchise QB, why would we want to put him in a situation where he can only fail?

#57 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

So start Clausen for a week or two, he gets concussed AGAIN. Then what? You believe Clausen can last 16 weeks in this league?

#58 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Stafford > Luck

Luck will still be a rookie and struggle like every other QB to come in this league. You guys are gonna ruin Luck putting this kind of pressure on him to live up to fantasy and make believe. He's not built like you guys are portraying him.

Stafford wasn't poo in college either. People fell in love with his arm strength and that was a rap. I saw some of the potential but nothing special. Luck has it all. Back on Stafford though, his completion % was in the 50s twice in college and at 61 during his best year. That isn't all that impressive for college. Luck's completion % last season was in the 70s. Not to mention its easier to get football talent to UGA than it is to Stanford.

#59 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Luck played in the Pac-10, Stafford played in the SEC. That makes a HUGE difference.

Stafford was also hyped as a "once in a generation" QB much like some are doing with Luck now. He was a "no brainer" for the #1 overall pick to the Lions, are you admitting many of these QBs that come out (like Luck) are media creations that are overhyped?

Its easy to look great when you play teams that dont have good defenses. Luck is already overrated so he's got a lot of work to do to live up to his hype.

#60 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

+1

I completely agree. The road is paved with failed and ruined QB's that had their confidence shaken by being thrown in too soon on bad teams. If we are serious about Cam being our future franchise QB, why would we want to put him in a situation where he can only fail?

Cam has only known success, how will he accept failure? Face it, we ARE going to have a losing season. How is the rookie going to handle that? His pictuesque smile hasn't not been flashing as much lately and these games don't even count. Just food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.