Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pat Yasinskas "unleash Newton"

193 posts in this topic

Posted

Thats good and thats what I want Cam to do. I dont want us to "unleash" cam. I want him to use his brain and work on his mechanics and become a quality pocket passer. But by all means use that body and his legs when needed. I just dont want us to turn cam into a runningback.

I agree. You can put him on the move with rollouts and allow him to get outside of the pocket without turning him into an option quarterback. I want him to run a couple times a game for first downs and to extend plays but surely not as a designed runner. Seems to me that would retard his development and increase the chance for injury. While I think he is tough and resistant to injury given his strength and size, that would still be tempting fate. It isn't like we have a great history keeping QBs healthy.

Posted

Got to have a pocket to be a quality pocket passer. Last year, and the last game, should have made that perfectly clear.

You think I dont know that? We obviously need to fix the right side of our o line. doesnt mean we ignore it because Cam is a good runner. So what are you suggesting?

Posted

I don't understand this mentality that just because Newton is a QB, he's more prone to injury. He's bigger than most other QBs. Bigger than Vick. About the same as Big Ben and Freeman. As stated before, he's of similar size, if not bigger than most LBs. Bigger than safeties and corners. I'd also imagine Cam isn't very weak or fragile. I'm sure the guy is pretty strong and I'm sure he can take a hit.

He's also bigger than Deangelo and Stewart. Both of them will get 20-30 carries a game and everyone accepts this and doesn't worry about season ending injuries as much because they are labeled as running backs. But if Cam runs it a few times, it's too risky, he's gonna get killed, destroyed, taken off on a stretcher, career over.

Just because he is a QB? While this would be true for most QBs, it doesn't apply to Newton so much. If I only had one fear, my biggest fear would be someone diving straight into his knees, but hell that could happen to anyone. And it would be more likely to happen in the pocket than it would down field.

1 person likes this

Posted

You think I dont know that? We obviously need to fix the right side of our o line. doesnt mean we ignore it because Cam is a good runner. So what are you suggesting?

All I am saying is that people shouldn't expect Cam to become a "quality" pocket passer until he has "quality" time to do so (not only time after the snap, but real time to actually learn the game at the NFL level). Not saying that you don't know this, but there are others that seem to gloss over this tidbit.

1 person likes this

Posted

you know there is a reason why runningbacks start to decline after 30 right?

Posted

All I am saying is that people shouldn't expect Cam to become a "quality" pocket passer until he has "quality" time to do so (not only time after the snap, but real time to actually learn the game at the NFL level). Not saying that you don't know this, but there are others that seem to gloss over this tidbit.

I know it will take time. I just dont think turning him into a running back or a scrambling QB because of our oline is a great idea.

Posted

I wasn't talking about wear and tear. I'm talking about season ending injuries. People act like Cam scrambling has a greater chance of ending his season than Williams or Stewart running it 20+ times a game. Any RB for that matter.

Posted

like honestly with 75% of the posts about cam newton all I actually read is

">

Posted

There’s one way to avoid that. Let him run...

...and let him get jacked up a couple of times :(

Sorry. Can't get behind this idea. For one, because it doesn't really help his development as a passer (and could hurt it) but the risk that Yasinskas downplays is the bigger deal.

I watched Newton get up slowly several times all throughout the BCS game, and those hits just came from college players. "Turning him loose" against the Ray Lewises and Troy Polamalus of this world doesn't exactly thrill me.

Don't want him to be afraid to run if the situation calls for it, mind you, but don't want him to be anxious to do it either.

Posted

play to his strengths and develop the rest as they go along.

Agreed.

If you are going with him from Day #1, I would put him in the shotgun and let him read option about 75% of the time.

Let the other stuff develop during the season.

Posted

Same reason RBs decline.....

But I don't think anyone is expecting a 15 yr career from Newton.

Posted

With as bad as our OL played he is going to get jacked in the pocket.We better figure out a way to run the ball